GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was browsing and notice under the spec thread that the highway range for miles per tank we crazy. has anyone hit 572 on thier FWD on one tank. we hit something like 520, but i was pretty sweaty as my wife was telling me i had to push if we dont make it. it wasnt bucking, but there was no way i was making 572 miles.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Schram,

On the final tank during my "first road trip" I drove 479 miles on 19.5 gal @ 24.6 mpg. Had I continued to consume my remaining 2.5 gallons, I'd have driven 540 miles. Even when rated at 24 mpg Hwy, the theoretical range can't be more than around 528 miles. You would need to average a solid 26 mpg for all 22 gallons in order to achieve 572 miles. That 26 mpg was the initial rating for FWD on 2007 models before the standards were changed to 24 for the method by which mpg is measured.

If I'd driven 55-58 mph instead of 70-72, then maybe I could have approached 550 miles. Them's a lot of miles from one tank!

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i thought. could you imagine going that far without stopping :drunk:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Shortly after I bought my Acadia and drove it down to Little Rock, AR - I actually ran it out of gas on the way down there, coasting into the gas station in the middle of the friggin' night and it only had 425 miles on the trip. I regularly get 390-400, but never over or near 425 since then. I can't imagine how you'd go about getting 572.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Web Raven said:
Shortly after I bought my Acadia and drove it down to Little Rock, AR - I actually ran it out of gas on the way down there, coasting into the gas station in the middle of the friggin' night and it only had 425 miles on the trip.
Wow talk about blessed! :angel::thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Schram said:
...but I was pretty sweaty as my wife was telling me I had to push if we don't make it...
She must be related to Mrs. Blue- said the same thing on a trip in the Durango once when the distance to empty hit 11 miles. :)

On level roads w/ a tailwind (for 500+ miles?) perhaps, but in the real world definitely overstated.

BTW Copper, since that article came out the Queen travels with an entourage/groupies to ensure that doesn't happen again. :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Web Raven said:
Shortly after I bought my Acadia and drove it down to Little Rock, AR - I actually ran it out of gas on the way down there, coasting into the gas station in the middle of the friggin' night and it only had 425 miles on the trip. I regularly get 390-400, but never over or near 425 since then. I can't imagine how you'd go about getting 572.
I guess that'd depend on how hilly the road was. Over 500 miles might take a flat road to achieve. Just a thought, because a lot of Arkansas is somewhat mountainous.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Web Raven said:
Shortly after I bought my Acadia and drove it down to Little Rock, AR - I actually ran it out of gas on the way down there, coasting into the gas station in the middle of the friggin' night and it only had 425 miles on the trip.
Wow talk about blessed! :angel::thumb:
Onstar helped me locate that gas station. It was a rinky dink station that looked deserted in the middle of nowhere. As it turns out, it was actually open. And the DIESEL sign was partly burnt out and said "DIES" I thought, how appropriate. haha

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Narg said:
Web Raven said:
I guess that'd depend on how hilly the road was. Over 500 miles might take a flat road to achieve. Just a thought, because a lot of Arkansas is somewhat mountainous.
While you do have a good point, I was still in Illinois when I ran out of gas. There aren't many hills around here. Just lots of fields and corn and not much else to look at. Driving straight south through this state is BORING.

Also though, my engine was far from broken in, which I'm sure had some impact on only getting 425 to a tank of gas.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Web Raven said:
Also though, my engine was far from broken in, which I'm sure had some impact on only getting 425 to a tank of gas.
I had around 950 miles on my new Acadia at the point at which I drove 479 miles on 19.5 gal. If I'd known how much gas I still had in the tank, I may have driven home - where the ODO would have indicated around 515 miles (with a little gas to spare). I'd be pleased if my mgp improves during the next 3,000-5,000 miles of break-in.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
It seems that this is a straight forward calculation.

We have 22 gallons in the tank. If you have FWD and you get 24 mpg, then your range is 528.

With our AWD, we consistently get 21 mpg when traveling. We typically will stop for gas with about 4 gallons still in the tank. (or the DIC saying about 80 miles range to go.). So if I filled up normally we would have about 18 gallons at 21 mpg or 378 miles.

But I'm one of those rebels that top off the tank and will typically get an extra 1.5 gallons in. So that is 19.5 gallons at 21 mpg or 409.5 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts