GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a DIY kind of guy, one feature I really like about my old minivan is that it can hold 4X8' sheets of building materials with the seats removed and the liftgate closed. Can the Acadia do this with the seats folded flat?

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's one of the things I will also be giving up when I put my minivan to rest. The Acadia is high on my list for a replacement vehicle because 15 years of minivans have gotten to me. I am going to miss the hauling abilities of my Grand Caravan but the Acadia should give me most of that capability plus have a bolder look. When the sheet rock and plywood hauling is needed I guess I can rent the Home Depot truck.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Its wide enough. It will stick out past the liftgate about 2 inches, so you will have to lower the gate manually. Don't think you can pile up too many cause it gets narrower as you go up.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like it can be done, but not with the liftgate closed. Oh well, I finished the basement myself on my last house and the Grand Caravan came in pretty handy when I needed a few extra sheets of drywall or plywood. In my current house I got lazy and had the builder finish the basement, so I probably won't be needing this capability often anyway. My main concern was whether it's wide enough and it sounds like it is. Not being able to close the liftgate all the way isn't as big a deal to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Loach - we're in the same mode, migrating from a '97 Grand Caravan Sport to an Acadia.

I hauled 20 4x8 sheets of 5/8" plywood in our GC in one load, with the hatch shut, to board up all of our windows before Hurricane Rita. There were a number of other times I used this 4x8 capability for home improvement projects over the past 10 years. I definitely enjoyed that type of 'utility' which most CUVS and SUVs don't provide, and will miss it, but my wife has decided on the Acadia over another minivan.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
97grandcaravan said:
Hi Loach - we're in the same mode, migrating from a '97 Grand Caravan Sport to an Acadia.

I hauled 20 4x8 sheets of 5/8" plywood in our GC in one load, with the hatch shut, to board up all of our windows before Hurricane Rita. There were a number of other times I used this 4x8 capability for home improvement projects over the past 10 years. I definitely enjoyed that type of 'utility' which most CUVS and SUVs don't provide, and will miss it, but my wife has decided on the Acadia over another minivan.
Yep, we're definitely in the same boat. Since my wife and I tend to buy our cars new and then drive them for 10 years, and our kids are getting older (oldest one a year away from driving age herself), my wife told me she doesn't want to drive a minivan for another 10 years! I can't say I blame her, so my choices are 1) keep the '97 GC longer or 2) buy an Acadia. I think we will keep the GC for a little while longer then spring for an Acadia sometime in the next 6-12 mos.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I had a 97 Aerostar that I loved for the same reasons. Unfortunately, my son blew the head gasket on the way back from Las Vegas, and that pretty well ended that love affair. Fortunately, I had been researching the Acadia for several months (and didn't want another minivan), and it was the only thing out there that worked for me. The only bad thing was, I needed a car pronto and kinda lost bargining rights and choices. Hope your car keeps running till you decide to get that new one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
From the replies, it seems like a number of home repair guys who currently/previously had minivans are definely lining up the Acadia. I have been spoiled to the hauling abilities (people and stuff) and have not seen a good alternative SUV/CUV until the Acadia. It looks like GM may have a winner!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to replace a 97 Venture that just won't die. It has hauled so much material over the years, for DIY renos of home and cottage. Kept the van alive to the end of a three year cottage reno that ends next weekend with a final load of kitchen cabinets. We need a new 2nd vehicle but I did not want to lose the ability to occasionally haul 4x8 sheets.

Looked at the Montana SV6 and just could not buy another boxy van like that, and the interior seems a step back from the 97 venture believe it or not. It was like driving in a time warp.

Looked at the Acadia SLT1 and SLT2 but could not justify the cost for a second vehicle. Just by chance we looked at the base SLE and it is *phenomenal value* in my opinion. The core vehicle looks the same but without the expensive bells and whistles. Liked the ebony SLE interior better than the SLT1. Only a couple thousand more than the Montana and Torrents we looked at, but twice the vehicle in my opinion.

If I can haul a few sheets, even with one side raised up and the liftgate partially open, that's all I need.

Hope GM does well with this one! Also have a Rendezvous, which we love.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You should be able to stick a few sheets in, close the tailgate manually for all but the last 3 or so inches, and hardly be able to see the sheets. The overhang should only be about 2 inches past the big ol bumper. The tailgate is so heavy that I doubt that you would have to worry about it or the wood moving.

·
Registered
141 Posts
About to give this a go.  Anybody got any suggestions on the best way to secure the sheets inside the acadia?  I'm assuming weight and friction will take care of most of it, and I only have a short drive home, but I'd also like to somehow anchor them so they can't slide out the back.

Is there a way to manually lower the lift-gate so it's down 90% without it trying to mechanically re-opening itself due to the obstruction?

·
Registered
824 Posts
uptown said:
Is there a way to manually lower the lift-gate so it's down 90% without it trying to mechanically re-opening itself due to the obstruction?
Yup. Shut it with your hand, don't use the buttons to close it.

·
Super Moderator
19,659 Posts
uptown said:
Anybody got any suggestions on the best way to secure the sheets inside the acadia?
How many bungee cords do you have? You could bungee the load from the body beneath the bumper to the front seat frame. Or, you could use an adjustable strap and strap the load to middle seats. :shrug:

If you use the friction technique, don't try any "hole shots!" :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have found no need to secure any load of 4x8 sheets other than gravity. If you have a couple of bungee cords I would use to secure the hatch lid inthe down position.

George

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yeah, probably unnecessary. I'm not traveling far. I can choose how fast to drive, and how quickly to accelerate - which determines backward momentum of the sheets. If I stop short, things would only slide forward into the seats.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Can confirm this works. About 6-8 inches of the plywood sticks out pass the entrance.
Bungy cords work wonders or if in a pinch a roll of electrical tape around the handle and back down to the hitch works as well...

:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts