GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm glancing through the brochure for the new Chevy Traverse and see this in a footnote about the "best-in-class cargo space": "With both the the third-row seats and rear underfloor storage tray removed."

Is the third row removable in all Lambdas, or is this unique to the Traverse to give it the most thoeretical cargo volume of the bunch?

They do claim five extra cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row for the Traverse.

If removable, is this without tools?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: Third row removable?

Following was copied from page 1-17 for the 2008 Outlook Owner Manual pdf file. Seems you'll need a wrench/socket to remove the bolts. It doesn't say the size.

Removing the Third Row Seats
1. Remove the cargo management system, if it is in
the vehicle. See Cargo Management System on
page 2-59.
2. Remove anything on or under the seat.
Notice: Folding a rear seat with the safety belts
still fastened may cause damage to the seat or the
safety belts. Always unbuckle the safety belts
and return them to their normal stowed position
before folding a rear seat.
3. Fold the seatback down. See “Folding the Seatback”
earlier in this section.
4. Remove the rear bolts located on the floor on each
side of the seat.
5. Remove the seat by tilting it slightly upward, and
then pulling it out of the rear of the vehicle in one
motion.
6. Put the bolts back into the holes on the floor so
they do not get misplaced.

Installing the Third Row Seats
1. Before installing the seat the seatback must be
folded forward. See “Folding the Seatback”
earlier in this section.
The seats must be placed in the proper locations
for the legs to attach correctly. The wider seat must
be installed on the driver side and the narrower
seat on the passenger side. Remove the bolts from
the holes in the floor before installing the seats.
2. Place the seat on the vehicle floor so that the front
seat hooks are on the vehicle bars.
3. Reinstall the bolts, and torque to 55Y(41 lb ft).
Pull up on the seat to make sure it is locked in place.
4. Raise the seatback to its upright position. Push
and pull on the seatback to make sure it is locked
into place.
5. Push the headrest up into position. Push and
pull on the headrest to make sure it is locked
into place.
6. Reconnect the center safety belt mini-latch to the
mini-buckle. Do not let it twist.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Sounds easy enough. I'm not quite sure why one would want to remove the seat.

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

If anyone has pics with the cargo mngmt and third row removed
please post them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I wonder if they've gone to a quick-release system with the Traverse, or if the "most cargo room with seat removed" is just an advertising ploy. Hardly anyone is going to remove the thing if tools are required.

·
Registered
533 Posts

mkaresh said:
I wonder if they've gone to a quick-release system with the Traverse, or if the "most cargo room with seat removed" is just an advertising ploy. Hardly anyone is going to remove the thing if tools are required.
Yea, seems like you could advertise "most interior space" when you begin removing interior components - like seats! I can't quite picture the floor area with the 3rd row removed. It seems like you'd still be limited to the size of an object entering the back of the Acadia, not by a deeper floor area - unless you're stacking individual items. Then I could see some marginal gain to space. Might just as well borrow a truck if you're getting to the point of removing seats.

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This is what you used to have to do to simply get a flat load floor in a Suburban or Astro. So there's some precedent for expecting people to reach for a wrench...

·
Registered
130 Posts

My Yukon Denali had removable seats. You would just flip a lever, and then have to haul those heavy beasts out of the back. It gave you considerably more room to haul things, and I moved many 'a landscaping bricks in that thing. I've only removed the seats once in my new Acadia. It gave me substantially more room for vacation (hauling 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 dogs/carriers, 4 bikes and a roof rack full of junk). That way, the back end could be packed to the gills, from floor to ceiling. It was rather simple, with a socket wrench. The real reason they want you to put the bolt back in (instead of loosing it) is because you can look right thru the hole in the floorboard, to the concrete below!

·
Registered
66 Posts

strange question, but I'm looking for a space for a subwoofer....Could you put the smaller seat on both sides, opening up an aisle between the seats?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

I had an old (80's) beater Astro window van that we used to move stuff while building a new home. My experience was similar to Hunt's Yukon- yes you could remove the second & third row seats by pulling levers (no wrench required on mine), but it was a cumbersome process and those suckers were heavy & hard to realign when it was time to put 'em back in!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Seems I was wrong about the Astro. But I'm pretty sure that at some point in the past removing the seats from a Suburban (or one of the full-size vans) required tools.

Interesting that one person has actually removed the seat.

On installing the small seats on both sides: I doubt the mounts in the floorpan will allow this, and crash safety would be compromised if you tried to adapt it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rear bench seat removal

Has anyone removed the rear bench seat? Page 1-14 of the owners manual of the 2009 describes how to remove the seat. If anyone has removed it can you please post pictures. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Re: Rear bench seat removal

Dumb question: Why would you want to, it folds flat? Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts

I suppose if you had something incredibly tall that could not lie on it's side, you *might* have a need to remove the rear seat. For instance, when I picked up a big screen TV the other weekend, I was forced to lie it on it's side because it was just too tall for the back of the Acadia. Though, I'm not even actually sure that it would have fit even if all the seats were taken out of the back. Personally that seems like too much trouble to me. And then you're faced with where to store them while they are out.

·
Registered
659 Posts

09Enclave said:
Dumb question: Why would you want to, it folds flat? Just wondering.
Because it still takes up a fair amount of room folded down. There is simply a few more cubic feet of space available with it out. It may not seem like much until you need it. I would estimate possibly 8 to 10 cu feet. We took an extended vacation with four people and a lot of baggage and it was helpful to us to remove it. I debated bringing a small roof box but removing the seat gave me the difference that i needed for the trip. For general purposes we leave it in all the time otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

It has been done by someone on the forum. I think they posted photos, but it has been a while. I will do some searching to see what I find.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

I knew I wasn't crazy. This member HUNT did it, but did not post pictures. If you send him a PM he might have some.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3853.msg52260#msg52260
Hunt said:
Yes, we just got back from vacation and I had completely removed the storage bin and the split 2-seat portion of the 3rd row. I was surprised how much more space just by taking out that bin alone. If you remove your seats, don't forget to put the bolts back into the floorboard, because without, you can look right down to the roadway, through the hole!

I also merged this with a similar topic. [/color]

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Wow, that didn't look like I had expected. It really doesn't look bad at all. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I just removed the third row seat tonight to make more room as we are packing to take my daughter off to college on Friday. Four bolts hold the seat in and they remove in two sections. You also have to remove the cargo system in the back which has two bolts that you can remove by hand. This does actually provide significant incremental cargo space as the seats even folded consume precious space. We were facing taking two cars but now we're all set with just the Acadia.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts