GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to add a bit more of a mellow tone to my car. Figured I'd just swap out the two rear mufflers for some nice sounding ones. Was under the car taking some measurements when I saw this big honking, coffin sized, muffler sitting between the Cat and the splitter to the two end mufflers.
I figure I'm screwed :banghead:. I doubt that changing the two rear ones would do much with that big sucker sitting back there. If I change that one, I'm pretty sure we'd hear it more in the passanger area, then the two in the rear.
So question is (from those in the know). Do the two rear ones do much of anything? Does the big sucker do all the work or just part of the work? Basically, how does the setup work? ??? Has any one played with a 3 muffler system?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I came across this image of a cut out of the Acadia and I was wondering, is the Cat Converter the piece attached directly to the engine in this picture? I have never heard of a Cat being directly attached to an engine. Sorry sandman, I do not know the answer to your question - I am assuming the rear mufflers are only for a special exhaust note to be heard, not much else and the big muffler is doing most of the work. I did notice a smaller diameter pipe leading from the engine and device attached to it to the main exhaust pipe then it is a larger diameter pipe form there. then it gets smaller again near the rear exhaust pipes. I would think that if all these pipes were the same size there could be more hp produced (more of a free flow). Just a thought. (I have no idea why the soccor ball is in the picture ???)

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would imagine changing out any of the mufflers would make a difference to the overall sound. I do believe the bigger 3rd muffler is doing the majority of the work in keeping the exahust note to a minimum. The smaller ones are adding to the decrease in noise levels and cleaner exahust gases, but nearly as much as the bigger one.

Now that I think of it most Exhaust systems are from the cat-back. So it would be interesting to find out if there will be any aftermarket "systems" available in the future and how much of the factory setup they would replace. I would bet somebody out there will create a nice 2.5" diameter cat-back system that runs a straight pipe from the cat all the way to the Y in the rear 2 mufflers. Thus eliminating the bigger 3rd muffler all together. Of course it would be for "off-Road Purposes Only" ::)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts