GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to the forum and just picked up a lovely 2017 Acadia FWD Denali. Car is amazing but the idle in park/neutral/stop lights in drive is not as smooth as expected.

It idles low as expected but it hiccups every 3-5 seconds causing a slight stumble and shakes the car (lightly). It's nothing extreme, just annoying and anxiety-inducing as it feels like someone is nudging the car every few seconds.

I have also noticed the exhaust smells quite a lot when warming it up in the garage (door open of course) that was sort of surprising but maybe normal. I'm almost thinking a TB cleaning, vacuum leak, something that is just mildly amiss.

Any suggestions or where to look? Only opened the engine to peek at it and make sure nothing was burning when I bought it (used to me, 20k miles).

Thanks in advance everyone - looking forward to this forum.

·
Super Moderator
20,882 Posts
:welcome: to the forum.

Your car should still be covered by GM's bumper-to-bumper (B2B) warranty, as well as the power train warranty. You might consider taking the car to a GM service center and have a technician there evaluate your complaints.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:welcome: to the forum.

Your car should still be covered by GM's bumper-to-bumper (B2B) warranty, as well as the power train warranty. You might consider taking the car to a GM service center and have a technician there evaluate your complaints.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I should take it to the dealer but I'm a big DIY guy and hate going to dealers as it's always a hassle especially for something stupid or easy to fix for a few $'s. That and I have 2 little ones making it near impossible to get anything done with the car during the day, lol.

Thanks everyone.

·
Super Moderator
20,882 Posts
Mess something up with your DIY and it could cost you a whole lot more $$$ for the dealer to repair your mistake. The choice is yours, but what you're proposing to do might not be the correct solution to the problem.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My dealership is open on Saturday mornings and open till 6p with a really nice waiting room. Kids can bring their stuff..lol

A car under warranty with engine hiccup, mines going to the dealer. The 2 little one's could go to relatives, possibly? They have free courtesy cars sometimes. Or they can drive you to and from , while car is being worked on. Most dealerships are most accommodating.

But, to each his own..as they say.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello All,

New to the forum and just picked up a lovely 2017 Acadia FWD Denali. Car is amazing but the idle in park/neutral/stop lights in drive is not as smooth as expected.

It idles low as expected but it hiccups every 3-5 seconds causing a slight stumble and shakes the car (lightly). It's nothing extreme, just annoying and anxiety-inducing as it feels like someone is nudging the car every few seconds.

I have also noticed the exhaust smells quite a lot when warming it up in the garage (door open of course) that was sort of surprising but maybe normal. I'm almost thinking a TB cleaning, vacuum leak, something that is just mildly amiss.

Any suggestions or where to look? Only opened the engine to peek at it and make sure nothing was burning when I bought it (used to me, 20k miles).

Thanks in advance everyone - looking forward to this forum.
I have a 2018 SLT1 FWD and I know exactly what you are talking about. Mine does the same thing since new. I have 6000 miles on it now and it still does it. I am not overly concerned but as you stated very annoying. Let me know if you come up with any answers for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer finally worked with me and replaced the TCM (control module?). Shaking went away for a week then came back.. imagine it was temp OK from the fresh transmission oil maybe or the system relearning.

That particular dealer wouldn’t do anything more explaining it’s “normal”. Lately it’s getting worse and worse, 30-55mph is killer and where we spent most of our driving.

Another dealer took it in today and just called and they will be replacing the torque converter. Will report back if this is the fix but I was convinced from way back it was the torque converter. We shall see. Still annoyed this is happening with 25k miles. Regardless it’s covered under warranty although the dealer visits are getting old and time consuming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did the torque converter fix your car? I picked up same vehicle in October. It's terrible between 30-55mph - shakes like a manual transmission in to high of gear. Took it to the dealer who also told me this is normal. I disagree. They hooked it up and got no errors so must be fine. I'm at 22K miles and I noticed it right after I purchased. I guess I should have test drove it a few more times.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New torque converter was no help. 2nd Trans control module seemed to help a bit, not 100% but better. I’m currently at a loss and spent way too much time in a rental to care much anymore.

Let me know if you have any luck or get the dealer to notice anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New torque converter was no help. 2nd Trans control module seemed to help a bit, not 100% but better. I’m currently at a loss and spent way too much time in a rental to care much anymore.

Let me know if you have any luck or get the dealer to notice anything.
Thanks for the quick reply. I will let you know. I found this post on Edmunds I wish I'd read sooner too. Sounds like the exact same issue. 2017 GMC Acadia 3.6L V6 AWD 6-speed Automatic Consumer Review - *UPDATE*- BEWARE - ENGINEERING PROBLEMS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. I will take this to my dealer. Crazy that they say don't fix it because GM is working on it (the original post is 2 years old) and they still don't seem to have a correction but I will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just change your plugs and see. Just because a car is new doesn't mean that the spark plugs can't be faulty. It worked on mine.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
@Tee2188 This is an old old post......I wonder what he did do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New torque converter, TCM, entire new trans, multiple flushes and mine still hesitates and stutters up hills at 1200RPM mainly in 3rd and 5th. Also vibrates sporadically at idle like someone is shaking the car at random times.

I’m convinced it’s fuel related since the entire transmission has been revamped. Got a good deal on injectors and the fuel line that apparently is a one time use part connected to the rail if I pull it.

Will update following install when I find the time to rip it apart.

2017 Denali FWD, 45k miles

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
788 Posts
New torque converter, TCM, entire new trans, multiple flushes and mine still hesitates and stutters up hills at 1200RPM mainly in 3rd and 5th. Also vibrates sporadically at idle like someone is shaking the car at random times.

I’m convinced it’s fuel related since the entire transmission has been revamped. Got a good deal on injectors and the fuel line that apparently is a one time use part connected to the rail if I pull it.

Will update following install when I find the time to rip it apart.

2017 Denali FWD, 45k miles
Mine shudders going up hill once in a while as well. It also hangs on to 2nd and 3rd a little to long once in a while. After reading everything that everyone has done or had done I am pretty convinced that it is a software issue. Just my observation and conclusion of it all.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
New torque converter, TCM, entire new trans, multiple flushes and mine still hesitates and stutters up hills at 1200RPM mainly in 3rd and 5th. Also vibrates sporadically at idle like someone is shaking the car at random times....
Just noticed this post... is it just me, 1200 RPM up a hill seems low (surprised it's possible). This is not a V8

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
788 Posts
Just noticed this post... is it just me, 1200 RPM up a hill seems low (surprised it's possible). This is not a V8
Mine shudders around 2000rpm when climbing a hill. It’s usually very brief and isn’t bad, just bad enough to notice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are these all FWD Denali’s? Or are you AWD folks affected by this phenomenon as well? Mine jerks every so slightly at idle as well which drives me nuts, almost like someone is nudging the car or a fish is biting the bait on my line lol. Hard to describe.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mine is smooth at idle, like it has no idea what it feels like when a fish is biting the bait (or maybe that's just me :)). And I don't think mine would let the motor go up a hill at 1200, it would (should IMO), kick down a gear.
As for any form of shudder, yes. It isn't the best shifting vehicle I've owned.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts