GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Acadia for almost a month now. The children and I have noticed that the rear (think second seat) controls for A/C, Heat and fan etc. sometimes get quite warm to the touch (not enough to burn, but enough to wonder if it is an issue). This does not happen on any of the controls on the dash or on the doors. It seems to only happen at night, but again, those controls up front remain cold to the touch. Have yet to ask the dealer about it, but wanted to find out if anyone else was experiencing this.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not sure, but, it could be that the duct work for the rear HVAC is running under the console. That was the case on a previous vehicle I had, it wouldnt burn anyone, just warm to the touch. Perhaps someone else can confirm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. But if that were the case I would expect them to always feel warm when in use. Unfortunately it seems to be an intermittant problem. That's worrying to me also.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I know that on some of the 99-2007 GM trucks with buckets had this problem and it was because of the air ducts. My friend couldn't put anything in the center console that he thought would melt. That thing got seriously hot :angryfire:, I'm talking about to the point where you could hardly touch the inside of the console.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had this same problem on my 2001 Oldsmobile Silhouette. The heat/air & radio controls got very hot. :ditto:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have this problem on an Alero I have. The lights for the floor shifter area get super hot when they are on. I don't think it is an issue. The heat is just a byproduct of the light that is illuminating the knob. That would also indicate why it only happens at night (when the lights are on). My Acadia hasn't come in yet so I can't comment on the Acadia controls specifically but, I'm sure it is not a problem with the vehicle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
all...there are no air ducts through this area. Ducts end about 1/2 way through the forward portion of the console. There are "shooter" ducts under the front seats and the rear air system directs air forward from the third row and overhead. The heat from the controls is normal and is a function of the added back lighting at night (or when the headlamps are on...not the DRL's). That's why they are warm at night and generally not warm during the day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, my dealer also said it was normal. I wasn't worried, they don't get that warm, but I was curious, especially since it was not always an issue. Nice to have the explanation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts