GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a general question that has been touched on but not really documented - -

How quickly does the Oil Life Monitor % go down in miles after you have an oil change?

Yes, we know it depends on driving conditions, amount of idling, etc.

But I've noticed no matter what, the OLM % goes down more quickly than any other of the 3 GM vehicles we've owned since 2015 with the 3.6L LGX V6 engine.

For instance, I had the oil changed, is 32F today, sunny and drove to a nearby town with a 24 mile round trip at 45 to 60 MPH and little idling. Checked the OLM and it was down to 92% ! !

And 8% drop in 24 miles and about 35 minutes of engine run time ? ?

I've also noticed that the OLM % will get down to the 40% to 50% range after only 1,700 to 1,800 miles of light driving, little to no idling other than a few traffic lights, and includes some highway at 55 to 60 MPH in summer driving.

The other vehicles we had would go 4,000 miles before getting anywhere near 40% OLM.

So, , , , Question:

Does anyone else take note of the OLM % drop rate after an oil change and notice it decreases comparatively rapidly ?

Maybe stop back occasionally and update after an oil change and note miles driven and % noted.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I'll try and monitor, but never pay attention so it might be hard.
I get my oil changed when they text me that I'm close. Which... just happens to be tomorrow. I'll try is all I can say. (y)

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try and monitor, but never pay attention so it might be hard.
I get my oil changed when they text me that I'm close. Which... just happens to be tomorrow. I'll try is all I can say. (y)
Thanks @Grantv .
It is is ok . . and without being annoying . . . Maybe I'll ask you occasionally what your OLM% is now that I know you are just having it changed ?
It will be interesting to see how much yours decreases in even a few days of driving.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
very interesting observation JayTee.
that sure is quite a bit.
Wonder if folks in warmer areas would see a similar drop

·
Registered
365 Posts
It is all in the programming.

It can vary with how hot or cold. How many short trips. Even if it just sits the monitor will count down a year so if you don’t hit the miles it will have you change it once a year at worst.

It even monitors how many times you step on the gas and how hard to ow long you sit and idle.

It would be difficult to find a consist pattern with so many variables involved.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Thanks @Grantv .
It is is ok . . and without being annoying . . . Maybe I'll ask you occasionally what your OLM% is now that I know you are just having it changed ?
It will be interesting to see how much yours decreases in even a few days of driving.
For sure, bugging me won't bug me at all.
I have to try and record the mileage, but if I forget I know exactly what it just was, and what it'll be at the dealer by good Ole Google maps.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Anecdotal, but my LLT is all over the place — which is why I go off my own count. I've had it changed and driven 10 miles and the monitor is already at 96%.

I just had it changed shortly ago and put ~250 miles on it and it's still at 96%. So... who knows?

My guess is at the beginning everything has been reset and the computer doesn't know diddly. Probably by 50-60% it's a more accurate reading of true remaining life after 2,000-3,000 miles of driving.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
It is all in the programming.

It can vary with how hot or cold. How many short trips. Even if it just sits the monitor will count down a year so if you don’t hit the miles it will have you change it once a year at worst.

It even monitors how many times you step on the gas and how hard to ow long you sit and idle.

It would be difficult to find a consist pattern with so many variables involved.
+1, a few years back I was at an event where a GM engineer gave a seminar on how the OLM works. It's a pretty complex piece of software that monitors many parameters.

How quickly it changes is going to be different for most every driver based on their driving habits.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
+1, a few years back I was at an event where a GM engineer gave a seminar on how the OLM works. It's a pretty complex piece of software that monitors many parameters.

How quickly it changes is going to be different for most every driver based on their driving habits.
I am well aware that there is an algorithm and number of conditions that the OLM system uses to determine oil life. I have read much on that matter from GM technical material as well as online discussions for the past 6 years.

Am also aware of the 1 year limit on making an oil change even if well under actual mileage oil use as well as the other factors. The later time limit parameter seems like it is more aggressively applied than in earlier iterations of the OLM system.

The question I was asking and point I am making is in the 4th sentence of my initial post:

" - But I've noticed no matter what, the ( Acadia ) OLM % goes down more quickly than any other of the 3 GM vehicles we've owned since 2015 with the 3.6L LGX V6 engine. - "

I am thinking GM has changed the OLM parameters to error on the side of caution possibly because of past issues with timing chain failures, VVT, and other past issues.

That the same LGX engine in a 2015 to 2017 vehicle didn't go down to 92% in the first 20 miles after an oil change, but the Acadia does is interesting. I do not think that at least some of the previously equipped 3.6L LGX vehicles had as aggressive time factor in OLM % drop. At least, that has been my experience.

I think I may do a Blackstone UOA the next time our Acadia gets close to needing an oil change.

At this rate, it will be down to 40% by May with only 1,500 miles driven and sitting in the garage most of the time this winter.
We never use the Acadia for short trip driving. It is a 3rd vehicle in our fleet and if we do take it out, it is for a day trip or longer drive to a distance shopping area or event of at least 20 miles or more.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My '18 regularly reached 10% around 7k miles. My Caddy CTS was about the same as is my current Buick Envision. Just had the first oil change in that last month. The OLM hit 10% around 6900 miles.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am well aware that there is an algorithm and number of conditions that the OLM system uses to determine oil life. I have read much on that matter from GM technical material as well as online discussions for the past 6 years.

Am also aware of the 1 year limit on making an oil change even if well under actual mileage oil use as well as the other factors. The later time limit parameter seems like it is more aggressively applied than in earlier iterations of the OLM system.

The question I was asking and point I am making is in the 4th sentence of my initial post:

" - But I've noticed no matter what, the ( Acadia ) OLM % goes down more quickly than any other of the 3 GM vehicles we've owned since 2015 with the 3.6L LGX V6 engine. - "

I am thinking GM has changed the OLM parameters to error on the side of caution possibly because of past issues with timing chain failures, VVT, and other past issues.

That the same LGX engine in a 2015 to 2017 vehicle didn't go down to 92% in the first 20 miles after an oil change, but the Acadia does is interesting. I do not think that at least some of the previously equipped 3.6L LGX vehicles had as aggressive time factor in OLM % drop. At least, that has been my experience.

I think I may do a Blackstone UOA the next time our Acadia gets close to needing an oil change.

At this rate, it will be down to 40% by May with only 1,500 miles driven and sitting in the garage most of the time this winter.
We never use the Acadia for short trip driving. It is a 3rd vehicle in our fleet and if we do take it out, it is for a day trip or longer drive to a distance shopping area or event of at least 20 miles or more.
I know you know but you need to keep in mind because of the programming results can vary much. That was all I was trying to point out.

I have had four 3.6 and there was no pattern the same with any. What was noticeable was my Turbo ran higher miles but it required Mobil one.

One thing to keep in mind is the LGX and LGZ are complete new engines and not just modified versions of the early engines. GM redesigned a number of things in these and that is why there is no longer cam chain issues to this point. Might also note the have a totally new oil recovery system that prevents carbon build up like the early DI engines suffered. You no longer need a catch can.

As for oil just don’t fall into the trap many fall into and micro manage it. Oils today are so much better that you can see people do horrible things and the oil saves them. Same for the build quality in most engines today. 300k miles is easy with no rebuild but years ago rings needed changed at 70k miles.

I can recall in the 80’s when I was in school I worked at a gas station that still worked on cars. I saw a number of people not change oil for 20k miles. Yet the cars did not fail. One guy let me change the oil tThe first time on a Nissan truck. It was at 70k miles. I changed it again at 150k. He had over 200k miles when he passed away driving the truck.

Not that I recommend it but the margins of error is great. Best thing you can do is use Mobil One and change it at 6k to 7k and you will not have issues.

Too many turn oil into a religion or a political party.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

One thing to keep in mind is the LGX and LGZ are complete new engines and not just modified versions of the early engines. GM redesigned a number of things in these and that is why there is no longer cam chain issues to this point. Might also note the have a totally new oil recovery system that prevents carbon build up like the early DI engines suffered. You no longer need a catch can.
Thanks but - -Yes, yes, know all of those tid bits in your above commentary as well. All those details are nice to know but just clouding my question and good to know but not for this discussion. I have owned several, am well aware of the evolution of the 3.6L High Feature V6 GM engines, their design and improvements made along the time line up to and including the LGX variants.

Which is how do other Acadia owners OLM % with current C1xx and the 3.6L LGX behave in regard to how quickly the OLM % drops?

Obviously, GM has changed OLM parameters in the LGX 3.6L V6 somewhere along the line so I'm interested in how other owners 3.6L LGX Acadia OLM behaves in terms of rate of % drop.

As stated. . in my the title first post I am just simply asking and restate:

" Does anyone else take note of the OLM % drop rate after an oil change and notice it decreases comparatively rapidly ? "

I'm simply interested, comparatively, how others OLM % behaves .

So far @Grantv is the only one who has come close to providing some potential data in regard to my question and observation.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
" Does anyone else take note of the OLM % drop rate after an oil change and notice it decreases comparatively rapidly ? "
In answer to your question, I have never taken note. The oil change message pops up, I take it to the dealer and have the oil changed.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’d be happy to supply data. But currently at 52% so it’s going to be a while before I can detail that 100% to ~90% transition.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’d be happy to supply data. But currently at 52% so it’s going to be a while before I can detail that 100% to ~90% transition.
Thanks, that will be go. know. About how many miles/months did it take to get to 52%?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks, that will be go. know. About how many miles/months did it take to get to 52%?
Oil change was 2,295 miles ago and 2 months + 2 weeks ago.
Climate is northern Ohio.
Typical day is 16 mile commute. Parked 7 hours. 16 miles back home. Plus random trips shopping, church, friends, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
In answer to your question, I have never taken note. The oil change message pops up, I take it to the dealer and have the oil changed.
Yup. Except that the dealership changed hands and the new owner no longer sends out oil change coupons, so I get to do the work now:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts