GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Infotainment System on my 2 month old 2020 Acadia Denali locked up. No response from any of screen buttons. Some capability available from DIC selections. After sitting for a couple hours, it did reboot when I started the car. This did not work when I tried it immediately after vailure but did work after a couple hours. Is there a way to force a reboot or reset of the infotainment system?

Another problem which may or may not be related is that my Sirius XM does not tune after starting the car. I have to tune to another channel then tune back to where I was. This also seems to happen when I momentarily lose the satellite signal. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Bottom line IMO; don't touch anything. Call the dealership first thing in the morning.

Reactions: GEORGEC

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Agree. That is the first thing I would do if I had a problem with a 2 month old vehicle.

George

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Another problem which may or may not be related is that my Sirius XM does not tune after starting the car. I have to tune to another channel then tune back to where I was. This also seems to happen when I momentarily lose the satellite signal. Does anyone else have this problem?
In the almost 2 years I have had my '18, I have had this occur a couple of times. I haven't given it a second thought and don't consider it a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Two ways to reboot it, turn off the car open the drivers door for 3 minutes shut the door turn on the car, or turn off the car get out and shut the door at least 3 minutes start the car with remote start with the key fob get in the car and hit the start button. Do not open any door but the drivers door in the last process and only close it after getting out and open to get back in. Both of these should reset the infotainment system.

Caveat is this is how to reset current gen Cadillac CUE but I'm pretty sure most of the new GM infotainment systems work the same.

If that doesn't work take it in.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Two ways to reboot it, turn off the car open the drivers door for 3 minutes shut the door turn on the car, or turn off the car get out and shut the door at least 3 minutes start the car with remote start with the key fob get in the car and hit the start button. Do not open any door but the drivers door in the last process and only close it after getting out and open to get back in. Both of these should reset the infotainment system.

Caveat is this is how to reset current gen Cadillac CUE but I'm pretty sure most of the new GM infotainment systems work the same.

I know this procedure has been posted at least several other times in the forum, but good to see it again as some descriptions were not too clear.
Thanks for posting !

·
Registered
1 Posts

thank you this just worked on my 2019 Acadia. The touchscreen stopped working I did the 2nd option to reboot.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
thank you this just worked on my 2019 Acadia. The touchscreen stopped working I did the 2nd option to reboot.
And another owner is saved by this magic procedure!

Winner - - - Winner - - - - Chicken Dinner ! ! ! (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will this work on the 2021 AT4. I was updating the infotainment system and it stopped half way thru and all it says is contact your dealer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Will this work on the 2021 AT4. I was updating the infotainment system and it stopped half way thru and all it says is contact your dealer
My 2021 Acadia's system did the same last week and I'm sitting at the dealership while they try and fix it. Service manager says it needs a "global reset" and they have to call GM to figure out how to do it. At least I'm getting a loaner, but for a 4 month old car with 5k on it, this is pretty unacceptable.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
My 2021 Acadia's system did the same last week and I'm sitting at the dealership while they try and fix it. Service manager says it needs a "global reset" and they have to call GM to figure out how to do it. At least I'm getting a loaner, but for a 4 month old car with 5k on it, this is pretty unacceptable.
This seems to be a more frequent and annoying issue on some 2021 models.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
This seems to be a more frequent and annoying issue on some 2021 models.
As time marches on, vehicles are becoming more complex with much of the user interface being the head unit touch screen. Some issues and failures are to be expected.

Folks are too quick these days to get their panties twisted over minor issues, always pointing out it shouldn't happen on a $40k vehicle. Nothing special about the price of the vehicle. My son is a service advisor. There is no correlation between the price of a vehicle and the quality of the head unit and associated software. Lots of modules talking to each other and failures are going to happen.

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
As time marches on, vehicles are becoming more complex with much of the user interface being the head unit touch screen. Some issues and failures are to be expected.
User error can be a factor with some of these problems. My nephew got into the vehicle and started randomly pressing icons without knowing what he was doing - he screwed up my home computer years ago doing something similar to that. It took a while to get things straightened out the way I had initially set the system. His cast just came off. LOL

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Folks are too quick these days to get their panties twisted over minor issues, always pointing out it shouldn't happen on a $40k vehicle. Nothing special about the price of the vehicle. My son is a service advisor. There is no correlation between the price of a vehicle and the quality of the head unit and associated software. Lots of modules talking to each other and failures are going to happen.
I agree and understand all that. Do not forget I worked for GM for +30 years in vehicle electronics in 3 different plants. Aware that with complexity comes potential issues.
I am not particularly bothered by it and do not have any issues on our Acadia.

Just commenting we are seeing more of that kind of thing. But there are more folks coming here with issues like this are annoyed.
Certainly not a good thing regarding customer experience and satisfaction. We were constantly reminded Customer Satisfaction was paramount. They had new mottos, signs and slogans every year at the plants.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
User error can be a factor with some of these problems. My nephew got into the vehicle and started randomly pressing icons without knowing what he was doing - he screwed up my home computer years ago doing something similar to that. It took a while to get things straightened out the way I had initially set the system. His cast just came off. LOL
I keep waiting for an automaker to come out with an AARP edition of a vehicle. A basic vehicle with no tech.

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
I keep waiting for an automaker to come out with an AARP edition of a vehicle. A basic vehicle with no tech.
Password protection for each driver's settings would be nice.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
The automotive market seems geared more and more towards a younger demographic. IOW. . . those well under the 55 or even 50 year old AARP bracket.
Indeed, if you look into it, more and more of those in the younger demographic want technology, ease of use, and more likely to lease than purchase. This goes for other products and recreational and free time activities and equipment. More and more are inclined to care about technology incidentals that they can easily dispose of whatever they are using and just move on to the next newest version of anything, rather than even owning it and dealing with repairs or other distracting inconveniences.
Boomers (including people now over 50) are focused on and sought out less and less to sell to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2021 Acadia's system did the same last week and I'm sitting at the dealership while they try and fix it. Service manager says it needs a "global reset"...
Quick update- service manager texts me yesterday and says they have to order a whole new unit from GM and won't get it in until mid next week.

JayTee's comment above is spot on. While at the servicing dealership I wandered around the showroom killing time. In the corner sat a beautiful '66 GTO ragtop that they had sold new in '66 and somehow got it back in their inventory. The car was amazing- the big bench seat, big old stick shift sticking up out of the hump, etc. I think most younger folks today wouldn't even know how to drive it. Technology (electronic anyway) wasn't the draw- it was all about this big sexy, fast (for the day) car. They certainly had issues, but there was a certain pride in being able to set points and doing all the required maintenance and maybe a bit of performance work. If the radio broke it was a quick trip to Radio Shack and a couple of hours of cutting and splicing and you were on your way. Lots of positive things have changed for the better- brakes, safety improvements etc- but I do miss the simplicity. When the dealer set me up with loaner I asked him if I could get the Goat. He laughed and handed me the keys to a Subaru.

I've got to say that the service people at the dealership couldn't be nicer and have gone out of their way to figure out a fix and communicate the issues with me.

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
What it boils down to is the new demogrpahic doesn't want to drive the car - they want the car to drive them. They'd rather watch movies, text their friends, or play video games while going from place to place. Add to that group the head-bangers who are content with scrambling their brains and calousing their ear drums with over-compensated bass!

Reactions: Gmcde3

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
In the corner sat a beautiful '66 GTO ragtop that they had sold new in '66 and somehow got it back in their inventory. The car was amazing- the big bench seat, big old stick shift sticking up out of the hump, etc. I think most younger folks today wouldn't even know how to drive it. Technology (electronic anyway) wasn't the draw- it was all about this big sexy, fast (for the day) car. They certainly had issues.
My high school graduation present to myself was a '66 SS ragtop Chevelle. That was a great car as well as a popular car back then as it still is today. My brother sold his last year because it seemed at many car cruises and meets, it seemed nearly every one and their brother had a '66 or '67 Chevelle.

Unlike "today", majority of the issues back in the day were caused by the owner's lack of maintenance. Vehicles from that era were much more high maintenance. Points, rotors, plugs etc. all had to be replaced on a regular basis. Some cars still had solid lifters that required regular valve adjustments. There were also a good number of cars that had multiple carbs, took a good bit of effort to keep those in sync.

Those were the good old days. Gas was cheap and we didn't care if we got 10mpg.......and we all knew how to drive a stick.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts