GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So I was a little bummed I couldn't get wireless charging from the factory (it's the little things), but I did some digging and realized there was still the spot for it under the rubber mat in the front cubby hole. So I took out the blank plastic plate, drilled a 2" hole in it, took apart a wireless charger I had, glued the coil into the hole, put the plastic back in, ran the cord to a back USB to keep inconspicuous, and boom. Wireless charging in 10 minutes!
20210406_211721.jpg 20210406_211730.jpg received_3746698578774356.jpeg received_3774584962589858.jpeg

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Sorry, but couldn't you just have left the cordless charger on top of the factory insert?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but couldn't you just have left the cordless charger on top of the factory insert?
That's the dumbest laziest ugliest idea I've ever heard. 10 minutes to make it hidden and look factory too much for you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you want to be lazy and have some charger flopping around I guess you could just do that.

You would not want the electronics being constantly rubbed by thr rubber pad that goes on top, plus the rubber mat wouldn't lay flat.

These are $30k+ vehicles...some people are ok with hack jobs or throwing in random accessories that cheapen the look like a 96 civic...that's their prerogative and that's cool.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
No need to get upset, it's just opinions. Standard Internet fare. You like your idea, I prefer not to hack into the car, and am fine with a loose charger if so needed. I personally plug my cell in full time.
So you have a random cord into one of the rear plugs running up front? Kind of a hack job, no? :unsure::giggle:

Reactions: Mattfinn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you have a random cord into one of the rear plugs running up front? Kind of a hack job, no? :unsure::giggle:
Haha I guess for the moment you're correct, It's low in the back seat area and you can't see a cord or anything, but I want to hook it to power from the other side, but not confident enough to take apart the center console just yet... the electrical part I'm cool with.

·
Super Moderator
21,313 Posts
These are $30k+ vehicles...some people are ok with hack jobs or throwing in random accessories that cheapen the look like a 96 civic...that's their prerogative and that's cool.
At that price, it could have been added as a factory option and not affected the monthly payment much, if any at all. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
At that price, it could have been added as a factory option and not affected the monthly payment much, if any at all. :rolleyes:
There is a factory unit if I recall, even for the 17-19, yes? I do recall seeing people at the dealer parts department asking for the wireless charger.
If so, I'd go that route if a cordless charger was important to me, no doubt. More money, for sure. Worth it, for sure.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Mine's a lease. Pretty sure GM Financial will be upset if I start hacking it up. I just don't see wireless charging being all that important.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Mine's a lease. Pretty sure GM Financial will be upset if I start hacking it up. I just don't see wireless charging being all that important.
Same... neat if it had it, don't care that it doesn't.

·
Super Moderator
21,313 Posts
There is a factory unit if I recall, even for the 17-19, yes? ...
It was first offered in the 2017 Gen2 (C1XX) Acadia.

·
Registered
2013 acadia slt1 awd crimson red. 2009 Traverse LT fwd black cherry (rip buddy)
20 Posts
Awesome job Matt. Im diggin it. My grandsons give ya 2 thumbs up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I put in the factory charger and it looks and works great. It is not difficult. Much better than the hacked update deals I have seen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts