GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Air Conditioner blows hot air - told I need a new blower and evaporator core to the tune of 1700 which also includes all the freon that leaked out. These parts should not go bad on a vehicle less than 5 years old. I see GMC has had a number of vehicles over many years that have had same issue. This is a long standing known issue that warrants a recall. GMC needs to stand behind their products and correct this ongoing issue. I live in Northern USA therefore AC is used only 4 months of the year. Beyond frustrating - 3 mechanics said this should not be happening already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just paid $1200 today for a rear evaporator and blower. I have a 2016 GMC Acadia SLT-1. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just paid $1200 today for a rear evaporator and blower. I have a 2016 GMC Acadia SLT-1. Ridiculous.
seems like its been an issue for a long time- why did they not correct it in the new model? apparently just a body style change- was that dealer cost or different mechanic?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Air Conditioner blows hot air - told I need a new blower and evaporator core to the tune of 1700 which also includes all the freon that leaked out. These parts should not go bad on a vehicle less than 5 years old. I see GMC has had a number of vehicles over many years that have had same issue. This is a long standing known issue that warrants a recall. GMC needs to stand behind their products and correct this ongoing issue. I live in Northern USA therefore AC is used only 4 months of the year. Beyond frustrating - 3 mechanics said this should not be happening already.
A failed AC is hardly worthy of a full blown recall. Hardly a safety issue. Many of us are old enough to have grown up with cars and houses that did not have AC. In my mind, not a first world problem.

It is an issue for some but not a wide spread. issue. I've had an '11 and '18 Acadia's. Neither had any AC issues.

Parts can go bad at any point in time. That's why I will not own a vehicle not under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
21,783 Posts
Funny how "mechanics" won't tell you much about the A/C repairs they do on other different makes and models of newer model years.

·
Super Moderator
21,783 Posts
It is a widespread issue.
If that was so, GM would have probably issued a customer satisfaction campaign for replacing a specified part. AFAIK, no such campaign exists.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
If that was so, GM would have probably issued a customer satisfaction campaign for replacing a specified part. AFAIK, no such campaign exists.
Threads like this always have me wondering why it's only a wide spread issue when the repair is more than $1500. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,783 Posts
Threads like this always have me wondering why it's only a wide spread issue when the repair is more than $1500. :)
+1 I always get a laugh out of "it should be a recall" statements. Do they say the same thing when major appliances in their home break down after the warranty expires? :unsure:

·
Registered
2015 GMC Acadia SLT2 w/trailer package
23 Posts
My rear evaporator on my 2015 went out at just over the 55k mile mark, $1300us. If if it does become a recall (not holding my breath), I got it done at the "authorized dealership service center" so I'd get some money back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had this happen now twice in my 2014 Acadia Denali. Once at the 3 1/2 year old mark, and now the 2nd time as the vehicle is approaching 7 years old. Rear Evap core leaking. Replace core and recharge system. It's labor intensive as the entire rear quarter panel has to come out to access the core. This is the only thing that has ever gone wrong with my Acadia, and it drives me crazy. It's absolutely a design defect (the blower motor drips shavings that corrode the evap core, that then causes the leak - there's a TSB on it, I believe) but as some have pointed out, no A/C is not a safety issue, you're not going to die if you don't have A/C (well, maybe that's not the case in some parts of the country now).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a brand new 2013 Acadia Denali AWD. I replaced the A/C at 12K miles after 36 1/2 months and again at 25K miles after 7 years. It is a known issue that General Motors has had a major issue with their A/C Systems. They should have been recalled because it is a health hazard when driving without A/C at temperatures reaching above 100 degrees.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
They should have been recalled because it is a health hazard when driving without A/C at temperatures reaching above 100 degrees.
LOL, that's funny. Way back in the 1960's, something many us remember well, only about 50% of cars had factory A/C available. It still got be 100+ degrees and most of us survived. It's not a safety issue.

·
Super Moderator
21,783 Posts
LOL, that's funny. Way back in the 1960's, something many us remember well, only about 50% of cars had factory A/C available. It still got be 100+ degrees and most of us survived. It's not a safety issue.
LOL X2 I didn't have anything with A/C until the late '70s - car or home. I also survived several 200+ mile trips in vehicles w/o A/C across the Sahara at temperatures above 120° F.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Freon is a gas and the only way you can 'lose' it is by a leak. There are a number of places that it could leak, starting with the O-ring seals at the compressor, the O-ring seals where the line connects to the expansion valve, the O-ring seal where the expansion valve bolts to the Evaporator core, the O-ring seal where the condenser return line connects to the Evaporator core and the O-ring seal where it connects to the Condenser core and the O-ring seal where the Condenser line connects back to the Compressor. You get the idea, there are a lot of O-rings in the system! On rare occasions the seal on the Compressor itself can fail. Other than that there are instances, on Acadia's, where a hole was rubbed in one of the aluminum lines, usually one of the lines that runs to the rear Evaporator core which, yes you guessed it, has an Expansion valve with all the associated O-rings! Personally I would have built the thing with JIC fittings all around.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My rear evaporator on my 2015 went out at just over the 55k mile mark, $1300us. If if it does become a recall (not holding my breath), I got it done at the "authorized dealership service center" so I'd get some money back.
I replaced the rear evaporator on our 2015 myself. If a recall happens at a later time, you can still be reimbursed if it wasn't at a dealer. Obviously I wouldn't be reimbursed for my labor!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Freon is a gas and the only way you can 'lose' it is by a leak. There are a number of places that it could leak, starting with the O-ring seals at the compressor, the O-ring seals where the line connects to the expansion valve, the O-ring seal where the expansion valve bolts to the Evaporator core, the O-ring seal where the condenser return line connects to the Evaporator core and the O-ring seal where it connects to the Condenser core and the O-ring seal where the Condenser line connects back to the Compressor. You get the idea, there are a lot of O-rings in the system! On rare occasions the seal on the Compressor itself can fail. Other than that there are instances, on Acadia's, where a hole was rubbed in one of the aluminum lines, usually one of the lines that runs to the rear Evaporator core which, yes you guessed it, has an Expansion valve with all the associated O-rings! Personally I would have built the thing with JIC fittings all around.
Somehow when we bought the Acadia . . . I knew there would be potential issues what with all the A/C lines, seals, O-rings etc. I wonder how prevalent the blower motor "dripping shavings(?)" causes evap coil leaks?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts