GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a labor day trip and got an honest 25 m.p.g. with a/c on no wind no hills and 72 m.p.h.. I reset the dic after about 5 minites on the interstate and that is what came up, it worked out the same with the math at fill up. In hilly country it dropped to 23.5 to 24 because most of the time it was in 5th gear. :blob:

·
Registered
269 Posts
That is pretty much what I was getting in our 2007 FWD SLT2. I have a little girl, and we were stopping to eat and to pee all the time on our 2500 mile trip, and for the first couple days, I would fill up every time, but then it got to be putting in 5 gallons didn't make sense, and I would go a whole day on one tank. Big fun!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did drive an awd on the same trip a month earlier and it got less around 20 m.p.g.. Mine is a slt with fwd and 19 inch wheels.

·
Registered
118 Posts
garco 57 said:
Just got back from a labor day trip and got an honest 25 m.p.g. with a/c on no wind no hills and 72 m.p.h.. I reset the dic after about 5 minites on the interstate and that is what came up, it worked out the same with the math at fill up. In hilly country it dropped to 23.5 to 24 because most of the time it was in 5th gear. :blob:
i guess your acadia is different from mine. with a/c on, no hills, at 72 mph, i only get about 22 mpg. my tires show about 38 psi, so how can your vehicle get 3 mpg better than mine? you sure your math is good, because the dic is usually off about a gallon when i fill up (on the short side). that means that the dic thinks it's using less gas than it actually is.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always fill up until it is in the neck so i always fill the same every time. This is the first time i have had this good of a milage. It was around 63 to 75 degerees also. I imagine the a/c didn't run much but it was on cause we got pretty cold with it set at 72.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't rely on the dic since i know it is way off, but when i reset it on the fly it did come up the same not an average with city and highway driving.

·
Registered
492 Posts
garco 57 said:
Good job.
Yesterday morning we filled up in Key West headed home. I zeroed all the DIC info and headed out.

If you have ever driven in the Keys you know its one road in, one road out. And there is no need to get in a hurry either way cause the speed limits range from 35MPH to 55mph for the whole 130 miles. You are likely to get stuck behind someone pulling a boat or something, besides the view is awesome. Why speed?

So it was early and very little traffic on the road. I used the cruise control and did the speed limits when I could, sometimes dropping down slower when needed following a couple of boat haulers ahead. We got lucky and caught the lights green most of the way and I only used my foot to throttle up a couple of times.

I looked at the DIC MPG :eek: and smiled knowing I had a chance to set a world record Acadia MPG :D . Hold on it's coming.

We made one pit stop and continued.
After 2 3/4 hours we pulled over in Florida City, the mainland. (BTW-the Acadia hit 10000 miles at this very same spot on the way down)

The DIC read 125.5 Miles, Average Speed 46.4, 29.2 MPG Whooo Hoooo :thumb:
Even with the DIC being known for .7-1.0 mpg to high....that would have to be no worse that 28+ MPH

Then we got on the Turnpike and other roads for the remaining 200 miles, drove 70-75 mph, and ended up with 332.4 miles and a pen & paper 23.6 mpg (plus some around town shopping etc)

Total trip 670.9 miles, 30.147 gallons = 22.25 MPG (pen & paper)

I'm happy with that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good job! sometimes the acadia surprises us. My mileage seemed to get better after around 3500 miles i now have 4600 and all is great. :cheers:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the differences in mpg that people are getting with the same car is due to head/tail wind issues. I did an experiment last week on a flat section of interstate 80/90 across indiana. I closely followed (not dangerously close) a semi for 4 miles or so at 64 mph. I reset the dic for the 5 miles, and it said I got 38 mpg. Now that is a record.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Warren said:
I think the differences in mpg that people are getting with the same car is due to head/tail wind issues. I did an experiment last week on a flat section of interstate 80/90 across indiana. I closely followed (not dangerously close) a semi for 4 miles or so at 64 mph. I reset the dic for the 5 miles, and it said I got 38 mpg. Now that is a record.
Hey now...drafting is not fair. ;D

To be fair you would need to draft for 38 miles or 1 gallon to see if that reading held up. The first red light stop would blow that to heck. But I know what you are talking about as I have had some pretty good readings before playing the DIC MPG game. Fill up, ease down a back road where you can take your time getting up to speed w/o getting in anyone's way, knock it into nuteral and coast to a stop, etc. MPG will be fantastic until the real world stop & go's kill it.

Anytime I do a reset "just to see" will show pretty good mpg. But as more miles add up it drops & any stop & go will drop it quite a bit.

I think we could have a Real World MPG contest here just for fun.
Rules? Your input.
We all know the slower speed the better MPG.
How about time or distance?
100 miles or more 2 hours+. Whatever you'all want?
DIC readings on time or distance and DIC MPG minus 1 MPG, or pen & paper MPG after a refill, (consistant refill, no short fill-ups)

Sounds like fun> Input?

·
Registered
275 Posts
garco 57 said:
I always fill up until it is in the neck so i always fill the same every time. This is the first time i have had this good of a milage. It was around 63 to 75 degerees also. I imagine the a/c didn't run much but it was on cause we got pretty cold with it set at 72.
There's a reason the gas clicks off when you're filling the tank. There is an evaporation system in the neck that doesn't like being submersed in gasoline. Trust me - leave the 1/3 of a gallon in the pump.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info i have filled every car or truck this way for trips and have not had a problem but thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just returned from my first big road trip. 2976 miles, 145.88 Gallons, 20.4 MPG, Average speed was only 44.2. Lots of road construction and city driving. The DIC showed it as 21.3 MPG not too bad, we were loaded to the brim for most of the trip. Overall I like it a little better now, still think the transmission sucks though!

·
Registered
662 Posts
FYI - After about 4,500 miles, my mpg seems to be climbing a bit. Typically running 64 mile roundtrip commute to work and a little around town and now getting 21+ on the dic. (I need to do real math to check it out). As I recall on my '04 Suburban (traded-in for the Acadia) the mpg didn't peak until over 20,000 miles. I am 100% satisfied.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well dam - I'm only getting on average 15.5 to 16 combined mpg on a full tank. Maybe 300 miles, and thats pushing it sometime. But it only has 1300 miles on it. I'm not wearing out the accelerator - but my mpg drops quickly. Oh well, if I really wanted fuel economy I wouldn't have bought the Acadia. I love it anyway!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My mileage now is above 3000, it seems getting better than when I first drove out from a dealership.

Speed --> DIC shows
60mph and up ....... 25-27 mi/g
30-43mph ............. 16-18 mi/g

Combined city and highway.... 20 mi/g

Driving during a traffic jamp will be likely suffered but acceptable for this big, heavy, ...but comfort crossover

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm getting the same at 24-26 mpg in an AWD SLE-2 w/19s.

·
Registered
662 Posts
FYI again. Remember as the weather cools... check that tire pressure. A pound or two can drop you an easy 10%. :thumb:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hey Fenwah,

It's been a while... how's the mpg, are you seeing any improvement?

I'm still averaging around 20 mpg (20.1 DIC & 19.8 math) after my most recent fillup. Usually around 80% highway/20% around town. I notice the around town can really drop it quickly. Let us know how you're doing!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts