GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GMC Acadia SLT FWD V6
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Not if you do road trips - it's a very real issue then. Once EVs have the same support infrastructure as ICEs (no proprietary or membership only charging stations), have a minimum 300 mile range regardless of season, and can recharge from empty to full in 10 minutes then, and only then, will they be a viable replacement. Having the electronic equivalent of a 1 gallon gas can would be a plus.
I guess you could bring a couple D cells along. lol

See, I think what people misunderstand is that you can use a Tesla charging station for ANY ev as they all use the same connector. And that is where people go wrong. Ford is in the process of adding a charging station to every dealership so they can have customers charge up their Mach-E anytime they want. At last count, in March 2020, the U.S. had approximately 78,500 charging outlets and almost 25,000 charging stations for plug-in electric vehicles (EVs). A considerable sum of these chargers is found in California, with 6,835 stations and 28,545 power outlets. So no matter where you go, there will be a charging station close.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I don't think charging stations are an issue, depending where you live. I have a client with a Tesla S. He routinely drives up and down I95 between Maryland and Florida. He has no issues charging when needed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I guess you could bring a couple D cells along. lol
Yep, that should get me another 100 feet down the road.

See, I think what people misunderstand is that you can use a Tesla charging station for ANY ev as they all use the same connector. And that is where people go wrong. Ford is in the process of adding a charging station to every dealership so they can have customers charge up their Mach-E anytime they want. At last count, in March 2020, the U.S. had approximately 78,500 charging outlets and almost 25,000 charging stations for plug-in electric vehicles (EVs). A considerable sum of these chargers is found in California, with 6,835 stations and 28,545 power outlets. So no matter where you go, there will be a charging station close.
You're ignoring reality. Taking your numbers at face value and removing California from the equation that leaves just 380 charging locations per state for the rest of the country. Not nearly the density needed to make EVs a viable ICE replacement. There's still the per charge range which drops off dramatically in the winter which will be a significant factor for anyone not living in the sunbelt. Finally, recharge time - I can fill my Acadia from empty to full in less than 10 minutes and have a 500 mile range. How long is the charge time to get a comparable range with an EV?

As I said previously, these 3 issues need to be addressed before EVs will become a viable candidate to replace ICEs, until that happens they will be suitable for niche markets and urban (and maybe suburban) commuter vehicles only.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't think charging stations are an issue, depending where you live.
That's the key - location (and I'll bet serious money that he has to preplan his charging stops to make that trip). Try driving from Chicago to Seattle and see what kind of hoops you have to jump through with an EV versus ICE. With my ICE I can stop at just about any 1 stop light town in any state and fill up - not even remotely possible with an EV (at least today).

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
Once you have spent considerable time in a US Army Humvee the site of anything related brings back such cramped, sweaty, uncomfortable memories that anything having that name is ever an option!!
Being in one of these was no picnic, either.

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm guessing the price will be more like $70K.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You're ignoring reality. Taking your numbers at face value and removing California from the equation that leaves just 380 charging locations per state for the rest of the country.
I do love a good debate. 380 stations per state compared to the average gas station which comes out to 3,360 per state. However, when one does stop for fuel, they are price shopping. Complaining how expensive it is. Refusing to stop at that station because it looks bad, etc. EV charging stations are popping up at an alarming rate. And by the time these vehicles are even available to purchase, expect the station number to double! Still not as high as gas stations but also keep in mind that you have intersections with 4 gas stations on them. So of course their numbers will be higher, its a competitors game. You only need 1 EV station because it can hold up to 20 cars or more. AND your paying 5-8 bucks to recharge, as opposed to over 100 like some trucks take.

Weigh your options and choose wisely. EV aint for you? Great. But saying that EV cars are only for 5 miles or less is sheer avoidance of the fact that the EV world is coming, and gas/diesel will be left behind like horses were so many years ago.

·
Registered
250 Posts
But saying that EV cars are only for 5 miles or less...
Nowhere, but absolutely NOWHERE, did I ever say that or even imply such a thing.

...However, when one does stop for fuel, they are price shopping....
No, when one stops for fuel it's because one needs fuel.

Quit making up 'facts' to support your opinions.

And, you still haven't addressed the issue of the charge time versus refuel time.

I'm all for EVs when they do the job I need them to do - cleaner, simpler mechanically and amazing torgue. But for that to happen the 3 factors I've previously outlined need to be adequately addressed. Doubling the current number of charging stations isn't the solution even if they can handle 20 or more vehicles at a time because it takes hours to recharge versus minutes to refuel.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
AH HA! That's the real issue! You think it takes HOURS to recharge due to the media feeding you lies and your not taking the steps to research on your own. Here are facts to clear the air.

Tesla has the largest batteries available (right now) at 100kw and a charge takes 30 minutes. Your estimate of hours is using a much slower charger, or even plugging into your home outlet (slowest). Tesla stations use 250kwh chargers and he is renovating those with the new 350kwh chargers, eventually going to 500kwh. At that point, charging times will be in the 10-15 minute range, if not faster. And my point still stands that these vehicles wont even hit dealer lots until next fall. A lot can change between now and then.

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
Electric vehicles will meet the same disdain environmentalists now have for gas/diesel powered ones once they realize how much mining is required to manufacture batteries.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Here ye, Here ye! Place yer bets boys and girls! lol

Mike - 55-60k
Jeff - 70k
???
Since I see Bolts in my area in the range of $35k-40k, I'm betting the Hummer EV will be in the $75-85k range.

I like the concept of an EV. Been in a Tesla S and it is pretty impressive. I won't be ready to embrace it until they are in the 400-500 mile range and I can charge them overnight in my driveway.

Of course the gov't may make the decision for us....instead of gun control we will have vehicle control laws.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts