GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2021 Acadia Denali
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The communications box that Onstar uses to relay info from your car to their servers which collects data is behind the parking brake lever. It is silver in color. It is up in a reachable space, however it is behind a hard black plastic mount. You will need special tools to get to it. I haven't figured that out yet. However you can unplug the maroon (Onstar) plug which will disable the feature that allows you to call Onstar. The plug may also look purple or red and is next to a brown colored plug. If you want to disable Onstar diagnostics and tracking surveillance system (as I do) you will have to get the box out and remove the chip or board. A guy on youtube by the name of Lackoftobac and the name of his video is
Properly Disable OnStar 2014-2021 GM Vehicle
The video is good but in his vehicle the location is different (Behind the radio touch screen). In order for me to get the silver box containing the Onstar board out I have to figure out how to get is detached from the hard plastic cradle. Does anyone know how and what tools I need?

· Registered
2,020 Posts
I don't understand why you want to remove a piece of safety equipment. Never mind possible litigation if you got into a situation where it could assist a passenger, or the lack of assistance for you. Add if you sell it, I'd be sure to hook it back up (for similar reasons to above).
Do as you wish...

· Registered
3,487 Posts
I don't understand why you want to remove a piece of safety equipment. Never mind possible litigation if you got into a situation where it could assist a passenger, or the lack of assistance for you. Add if you sell it, I'd be sure to hook it back up (for similar reasons to above).
Do as you wish...
SMH. .. . LOL.
Have you viewed the video?
"Proper" way to do it?

It fits right in and seems to appeal to many post Y2K denizens who have 2 to 3 nano second attention spans.
Detail oriented . . . is it?
Chaotic comes to mind.

(sigh) - - - and then they don't know why they are not understood.
All in my humble opinion.

Sorry. . . my wife has worked in education for +26 years and has seen first hand this kind of deterioration.
They think it may have something to do with excessive cell phone texting and social website addiction and need for instant and short blip-vert styled attempt at pseudo communication.

Then again . . maybe it started back in1985 and Max Headroom - - -

Reactions: Grantv

· Registered
4,223 Posts
Do as you wish...
I'm with you. You have to wonder what goes through the minds of some folks. They buy a nice $60k vehicle then disable some of reasons for buying the vehicle. 👏

· Registered
2021 Acadia Denali
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do as you wish...
To answer your question: Safety lies in the responsibility of the driver (I wonder how we drove safely all these years without Onstar). Also I contend it is not a piece of safety equipment but a surveillance system. Lawsuits are out of the question as it will only disable the communications (data collection). I did not ask for or sign up for this piece of equipment and don't want to be tracked. I have unplugged the device and everything still works fine, including navigation, so far it has only disabled the annoying Onstar (phone call) button. However I do appreciate your feedback.

· Registered
2,020 Posts
Same could be said for medical changes I guess? We were all fine before penicillin, laser surgery also.
And if you crash on a remote road, and can't use it for distress...? That is called a safety system.

· Registered
2021 Acadia Denali
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm wondering what is annoying about OnStar button.
The microphones in the vehicle allow Onstar to listen in any time they want and when they are not listening in they are collecting data, voice data. This is one of the biggest up and coming industries. Google listens on your phones, Roku/Dish and others listen on your tv remote. That's why you're getting ad's and such for say, 'turtlewax' when the night before you and your wife had a conversation about turtles. If you don't understand how the surveillance state works I would suggest you educate yourself. Most of the time it's not people listening but AI. Most ppl say "I have nothing to hide", that's fine for them. I am a private person and am not interested in people who don't respect privacy. Good luck

I still haven't figured out if the car is still sending data to the Onstar board/chip with it being unplugged but don't think so as the only wire going to the chip I unplugged, but others online say you need to remove the chip/board also

PS thinking back when I was in my twenties with a job like those who work at Onstar, I would be tapping in and listening to people...ah, human nature

· Registered
2021 Acadia Denali
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes all of the above. I understand where you're going with that line of questioning, one cannot escape the total surveillance system, I agree. I am well aware of the powers and pervasive nature of data collection. And an expert in it.
I have been obliging you guys in the spirit of common courtesy but what started out as a request for GM knowledge seems to be morphing into "You're not like me so you're an idiot"
This is the sad thing about forums
Good day to you

· Registered
4,223 Posts
Yes all of the above. I understand where you're going with that line of questioning, one cannot escape the total surveillance system, I agree. I am well aware of the powers and pervasive nature of data collection. And an expert in it.
I have been obliging you guys in the spirit of common courtesy but what started out as a request for GM knowledge seems to be morphing into "You're not like me so you're an idiot"
Good day to you
But no one here requested that knowledge. I participate in a half dozen GM forums. I don't recall anyone ever asking how to rip OnStar out of their vehicle.

Have you also ripped out the black box data recorder?

· Registered
2,020 Posts
Good day to you
You post an idea for modification of a vehicle that will reduce its safety, reduce the resale value, reduce the usability, and potentially incur BCM errors.
All that anyone here is saying is it's not a good plan.
It is not a sad thing about forums, it's a good thing.
You're seeing things from a don't track me viewpoint only.

· Registered
6 Posts
I turned OnStar on last week. Free trial and the next day I had check engine light, traction light going off, extreme shuddering, lack of power, and hard shifting.I called to request it be turned off. It went away for 24hr then got advanced diagnostics report, and issues came back.
I have been trying to get OnStar to help but they haven’t been able to help yet. The OP may not have this issue so may be hijack post but wanted to provide some perspective on why this may be of interest to some readers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts