GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone else has had this issue with OnStar. Bought the vehicle back in December and after 3-4 months I started getting this message on the infotainment screen every time I start the vehicle.

"Connection Unavailable, Please Press The Blue OnStar Button to speak to an OnStar Agent"

This is not a passive message that goes away when you start driving. You have to physically cancel it every time. If I wanted to press the blue button to activate OnStar, I would have done it a long time ago. So I finally stopped by the dealer and showed them the message telling them I didn't buy a $53K vehicle to be badgered by GMC to also buy OnStar.

Not unsurprisingly they'd never seen the message and didn't have a clue how to deactivate the message, but will talk to someone and get back to me. That was last week so I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a call back. I'll give them a few more days before getting after them, but was just wondering if anyone has already experienced this, and how did it get resolved, short of activating OnStar, of course. I've had several GM products including 3 GMC's without OnStar activated, and this has never happened before.

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
Badger your dealer for an answer. Either that, or call OnStar yourself and ask them why the message keeps popping up on the display. OnStar may be able to resolve the problem over the air. You shouldn't have to activate an OnStar account to do that. If you can't establish a connection to OnStar, then there's something wrong with the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
2021 Acadia SLT - Midnight Blue
5 Posts
I was curious if anyone else has had this issue with OnStar. Bought the vehicle back in December and after 3-4 months I started getting this message on the infotainment screen every time I start the vehicle.

"Connection Unavailable, Please Press The Blue OnStar Button to speak to an OnStar Agent"

This is not a passive message that goes away when you start driving. You have to physically cancel it every time. If I wanted to press the blue button to activate OnStar, I would have done it a long time ago. So I finally stopped by the dealer and showed them the message telling them I didn't buy a $53K vehicle to be badgered by GMC to also buy OnStar.

Not unsurprisingly they'd never seen the message and didn't have a clue how to deactivate the message, but will talk to someone and get back to me. That was last week so I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a call back. I'll give them a few more days before getting after them, but was just wondering if anyone has already experienced this, and how did it get resolved, short of activating OnStar, of course. I've had several GM products including 3 GMC's without OnStar activated, and this has never happened before.
I entered the password that we set up when I bought my car and that cleared it and it has been fine since. I did not buy OnStar

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Badger your dealer for an answer. Either that, or call OnStar yourself and ask them why the message keeps popping up on the display. OnStar may be able to resolve the problem over the air. You shouldn't have to activate an OnStar account to do that. If you can't establish a connection to OnStar, then there's something wrong with the vehicle itself.
I considered pushing that button, but I don't have a gripe with OnStar. I sort of want the culprit to fix it, if for no other reason, making a point of how stupid it is and maybe it will make its way up the food chain.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I entered the password that we set up when I bought my car and that cleared it and it has been fine since. I did not buy OnStar
What is this password you speak of? I've bought 7 new GM vehicles since 2000 and I've never once pushed that OnStar button, and quite frankly don't recall ever having a password, although I could very well be mistaken on that as back in the day the free trials used to be for a full year. I can say with absolute assurance I was never asked to set up a password for this 2021, and wouldn't know what to do with it even if I had one.

Where & how do you enter this password in case I can get my hands on one.

Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
I considered pushing that button, but I don't have a gripe with OnStar. I sort of want the culprit to fix it, if for no other reason, making a point of how stupid it is and maybe it will make its way up the food chain.
If OnStar is the culprit, then ... ...

Reactions: GEORGEC

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure how OnStar can be the culprit. If there is no connection available, how are they spamming me every time I start the car?

Anyway, I'm starting to get the idea that the problem might be the dealer never activated the system before I drove away with the vehicle. That's not something I would have noticed or cared about until the message starting popping up constantly. The fact I was never asked about a password as mentioned above, there is good chance it was never activated. Why it took 3-4 months for the message to start is still a mystery. We'll see how long it takes them to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
What is this password you speak of? I've bought 7 new GM vehicles since 2000 and I've never once pushed that OnStar button, and quite frankly don't recall ever having a password, although I could very well be mistaken on that as back in the day the free trials used to be for a full year. I can say with absolute assurance I was never asked to set up a password for this 2021, and wouldn't know what to do with it even if I had one.

Thanks for the info.
The only password I know of having to set up and use is for the onboard WiFi.

I've had Onstar on our last 7 GM vehicles and likewise know of no password for it.

·
Super Moderator
21,713 Posts
Not sure how OnStar can be the culprit. If there is no connection available, how are they spamming me every time I start the car?
Your OnStar system could be trying to connect to an account for your vehicle in their system. Since it is not associated with an end-user (the vehicle's owner), OnStar can't connect the vehicle to any of it's services. Why would the message say to call OnStar? Just call them and ask the rep to turn off the message!

Reactions: GEORGEC

·
Registered
2021 Acadia SLT - Midnight Blue
5 Posts

Thanks for the info.
When I got my Acadia the dealer had set it up so that all I had to do was download the app to my phone to be able to use all of the remote features and connect my phone to the car.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I got my Acadia the dealer had set it up so that all I had to do was download the app to my phone to be able to use all of the remote features and connect my phone to the car.
The more I think about this the more convinced I am becoming that this whole episode is a consequence of the thing never getting activated by the dealer. I never bothered to set up the app because I had no intention of keeping the service anyway, but if I had tried I would have found this issue immediately. If that's the case it means the free trial hasn't been started either. I think I'll just wait until July 1st to call and have it activated so the free trial will be active when I drive from FL up to my place in NH for the summer and back in late September. Can't hurt to have it active for the long trips up and back just in case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you call and activate the trial, just don't give them a card number. That way when it expires, it just expires and ends. It's easy enough to setup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When we pickup our new 2019 Acadia, we had an instructor from the dealer, work with us regarding OnStar and other electronics.

·
Registered
Acadia AT4 2021
13 Posts

It sounds like an On star issue.
dealer probably can’t help. I picked up my new Acadia in March and they left the infotainment system in demo mode. Took me 2 days to figure it out and they didn’t.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would be careful putting in your password. The recipient may be trying to approach your ATM Checking Account. lol

On a serious note, purchased my new GMC Acadia Denali AWD in 2013. I had OnStar during a trial period. I had several occasions where OnStar was not helpful at all.

Case 1: My steering wheel locked up on me while parked. I tried to call OnStar but couldn't get the connection because my vehicle was not started.

Case 2: I was in heavy traffic and out of the blue, OnStar was yelling at me while trying to make a Sales Pitch.

Case 3. I was in the City and tried to have OnStar give me direction so that I could get home with a direct route. OnStar asked me to hold on. About 30 minutes later, they called me after I had already gotten home. Unbelievable Indeed!

P.S. I have been using AAA for years and years. That's my go to emergency service.

Best of Luck to All.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts