GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2021 Acadia

Repeated scenario ~
I pull into the garage, turn the vehicle off, leave the keys in it and walk into the house. 20 mins or so later, I walk back into the garage to get something out of the car. I pull on the outside door handle to open the door and all 4 doors lock upon the door opening and if I were to not catch it and close the door, my keys get locked inside.

This happens anywhere and not just in the garage, so I know it's not something in the garage interfering with signals.
I can hit the interior unlock button while the door is open, close the door and immediately reopen the door, and they do not lock. There has to be a time frame before they go into this function again.

I have played with all the settings and nothing is changing this crazy thing. What would even be the purpose of the doors locking when opening them? And, how can the doors lock with the keyfob still sitting inside of it?

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts
You'll probably have to ask the service folks about that and demonstrate it for them. It's really unwise to leave an RKE transmitter (fob) in an unattended vehicle anyway. The owners manual has such a cautionary statement in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an appt on the 18th to get the car into the dealer. It happens even if they fob is not left in the vehicle.
I guess I'll have to read the owners manual on leaving the fob in the car, but can't think why it would be unwise to leave the fob in my car while it's sitting unattended at my own house.

·
Registered
364 Posts
...but can't think why it would be unwise to leave the fob in my car while it's sitting unattended at my own house.
Just my opinion, but it becomes habit and as a result you could inadvertently do the same somewhere other than in your garage.

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts
... but can't think why it would be unwise to leave the fob in my car while it's sitting unattended at my own house.
The fob continuously transmits signals to the vehicle while it's in close proximity. This keeps some of the vehicle's electronics in a state which puts extra draw on the vehicle's battery. Will likely have the same effect on the fob's battery, too.

Reactions: danielsa2021

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just my opinion, but it becomes habit and as a result you could inadvertently do the same somewhere other than in your garage.
I've left keys in my car for 30 years while at home and haven't inadvertently left them in the vehicle in other places yet, since I use the fob to lock/unlock my doors when going into stores, etc.
If anyone has suggestions on how to fix the door locking issue, please let me know. Otherwise, the fob being left in an unattended car wasn't a question/concern in my original post.

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts
It could be the cause of your concern, though.

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts
... since I use the fob to lock/unlock my doors when going into stores, etc.
If anyone has suggestions on how to fix the door locking issue, please let me know.
You should be able to unlock/lock the vehicle without ever touching a button on the fob as long as the fob is on your person (in a purse, pocket, etc.). See your owners manual for details about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2021 Acadia

Repeated scenario ~
I pull into the garage, turn the vehicle off, leave the keys in it and walk into the house. 20 mins or so later, I walk back into the garage to get something out of the car. I pull on the outside door handle to open the door and all 4 doors lock upon the door opening and if I were to not catch it and close the door, my keys get locked inside.

This happens anywhere and not just in the garage, so I know it's not something in the garage interfering with signals.
I can hit the interior unlock button while the door is open, close the door and immediately reopen the door, and they do not lock. There has to be a time frame before they go into this function again.

I have played with all the settings and nothing is changing this crazy thing. What would even be the purpose of the doors locking when opening them? And, how can the doors lock with the keyfob still sitting inside of it?
There is something called "Passive Lock" I think. I have it set on mine to do it as I am always forgetting to lock the car. This way, I can just walk away. Maybe you have that active in the setting? It would lock after 5 seconds or so no matter if the keys are in the car or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, passive locks are off. They aren't locking after I have walked away, they remain unlocked. The doors do not lock until I pull on the exterior door handle to open the door to get into the vehicle, then they all lock immediately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts