GMC Acadia Forum banner
141 - 160 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Perhaps going to the 9 speed in the '20 models was a mistake on GM's part. Considering they just went back to the 8-speed in the trucks and stopped using the 10 speed, perhaps they realized the MPG hit wasn't worth the extra acceleration gain.

Now, getting back on topic, who else has had camera issues?
Yes I have had my New Acadia in the dealer 3 times now, this last time it has been in the shop for the last 40 days and counting. they are waiting on a second coaxial cable that hasn't started production yet! I don't understand why it is taking to make good parts in this day of age! I thought this would be my last new car, but it has been in the shop more than my own garage.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Yes I have had my New Acadia in the dealer 3 times now, this last time it has been in the shop for the last 40 days and counting. they are waiting on a second coaxial cable that hasn't started production yet! I don't understand why it is taking to make good parts in this day of age! I thought this would be my last new car, but it has been in the shop more than my own garage.
Welcome and sorry to hear about all your trouble and the wait on the part. It sounds like they at least will get it fixed once they get the parts. COVID is totally screwing up the supply chain for just about every single industry right now. Can you post back with the MFG date once you have it? It is located in the door pillar area on the driver side. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update 10/31/20
So far the only fixes that have been documented have been to replace the coax cable or whole harness which runs under the passenger side floor board area back to the video process module that is under the left trunk area. You have to pull the spare tire covers to access it.

On mine they replaced the video processing module twice, rear camera and tried to reseat a connection X-209. No luck and wanted to replace the front camera next. If you have problem request that they get a field service engineer involved immediately since TAC(GM call center) just remotely requests parts to be replaced. The FSE will come onsite and help troubleshoot.

Mine will not be repaired as I have negotiated a buyback with GM and as such I will not provide any update about my specific camera issue.

Just getting this wrote up to hopefully save some headache for others down the road.

A week after my purchase of a new 2020 Denali with Ultimate package the 360 camera system died with a black screen showing a red triangle with a exclamation point and a red circle with a camera in the middle crossed out with a line. I was able to get it into the dealer the same day it failed and it has been an intermittent issue every since. Short version is the vehicle has had 4 failed repairs now and has been in the shop about 6 times for over a total of 2 weeks. The dealer has been escalating to tech support and then we wait for parts. I have been working with the service manager and senior tech directly to give them as much info as possible. Hopefully we will have all the parts and it will go in for the 5th try next week. I have put in a case with GM customer service to make sure this gets the attention it should. Not too pleased that this is still an issue almost 2 months later. Trying to be extra patient due to all that is going on in the world right now.

First repair:
They were trying to blame the failure on a wire tap in the rear view mirror for my radar detector. They supposedly played with some connections a well. I went to the dealer and removed the wires and of course it started working. At this time I did not know it was an intermittent issue so I took the vehicle and by the time I got back to work it failed again. They did not even have time to close out the paperwork. Just to prove the rear view mirror connection had nothing to do with it I sent a picture of the camera system working with the plug completely unplugged.

Second repair:
I brought he vehicle back the following week when the same technician was there and he could continue troubleshooting. They ended up keeping the vehicle for 9 days. They were waiting for a video processing module 84755321 for about 3 days. It failed the next day.

Third repair:
Brought it back in and they put some dielectric grease on the front camera due to possible fretting as well as testing some connections. It promptly failed and they ordered a nation wide back ordered rear camera.

Fourth repair:
The new rear view camera showed up and was installed. Everything was working and failed later that day. Was able to bring the vehicle back in for the senior tech to complete a scan to provide more info to GM. It had a huge list of codes pertaining to the VPM. GM believes the module is bad and have placed another order for one. When the part shows up and I drop the vehicle off they want the tech to do some signal tests from the BCM and if all good replace the module again.

A couple days ago a new symptom showed up. The front camera was completely dead. I was able to bring the vehicle back to dealership for a quick scan again. Now it is still showing the huge list of codes for the VPM and that the front and rear cameras have faults. No further info has been passed along to me from the dealership. I was told they expect all the parts at the end of the week. GM customer service confirmed they were going to have a senior advisor contact me in 2 business days. So far after 2 days I have not heard from them yet.

I will post again once I have more info.
I have the same issues you are going through, My 2020 Acadia is the SLT package and it is sitting at the dealership the last 40 days and counting waiting for parts, This is the 3rd time in, I believe this is a safety issue now as the car is not reliable at 1200 miles on it. I asked for a buy back and they said GMC says the vehicle needs to be fixed first then they will talk about a buy back, that's crazy business

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome and sorry to hear about all your trouble and the wait on the part. It sounds like they at least will get it fixed once they get the parts. COVID is totally screwing up the supply chain for just about every single industry right now. Can you post back with the MFG date once you have it? It is located in the door pillar area on the driver side. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
The car is sitting over at the dealership, but I remember the manager said it was made in February, I have my Vin# last numbers are 201883 if that helps

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I have the same issues you are going through, My 2020 Acadia is the SLT package and it is sitting at the dealership the last 40 days and counting waiting for parts, This is the 3rd time in, I believe this is a safety issue now as the car is not reliable at 1200 miles on it. I asked for a buy back and they said GMC says the vehicle needs to be fixed first then they will talk about a buy back, that's crazy business
Not sure I understand why they have to keep your Acadia 40 days just for this surround cam cable.
It is still driveable right? Why didn't they just give it back till the part comes in?
How is it a "safety" thing when many cars do not even come with a surround cam?
We have a 2019 SLT-1 which never had the surround camera. . .. it drives fine without any surround camera.

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Because many are built by the lowest bidder.....you get what you pay for.

Not sure I understand why they have to keep your Acadia 40 days just for this surround cam cable.
It is still driveable right? Why didn't they just give it back till the part comes in?
We have a 2019 SLT-1 which never had the surround camera. . .. it drives fine without any surround camera.
Hang out in enough auto forums and you will find many owners mistakenly believe any failed component is a safety issue. Heck some consider a failed seat heater a safety issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
The car is sitting over at the dealership, but I remember the manager said it was made in February, I have my Vin# last numbers are 201883 if that helps
I would expect it to be later than Feb with that late of a Vin code. My sisters was June at 212xxx. The buyback process is extremely slow and frustrating. I am probably going to be at about 2 months once we are done with the process. To do the cash out option I had to eat a usage fee. They will typically require this final repair to be completed even if a lawyer is involved. Per most of the laws they also have to send a demand letter to corporate which in most cases they can request another repair. I had 6 failed repairs and around 6 weeks at the dealer and after talking to a lawyer this may not have been enough due tot hoops they make you jump through. If it was me I would let them fix it since they are on the right path and if you have a decent loaner I would leave it there. They had me take the vehicle wile waiting for parts and that ended up costing me more of a usage fee in the end.

Reactions: Mike Geno

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Hang out in enough auto forums and you will find many owners mistakenly believe any failed component is a safety issue. Heck some consider a failed seat heater a safety issue.
LOL. . . I was being somewhat rhetorical in the questions I asked. I've been on a number of automotive forums since 2005 at least. I've seen a lot but still defies logic to me.
The one recent awhile ago that was really ludicrous was the one where a member complained about tire speed rating and the vehicle controlled top speed limiter not agreeing. But there were many others.

I will say this - - -
With niggling issues like this camera and the more annoying "Shift To Park" issue with the wonky micro switch in the shifters . .. . GM ought to life test some things a lot more than they have been for things like this to plague customers.
GM needs to either spec parts better to suppliers and/or make them pay out when their supplied parts fail in the field. The number of annoying to critical issues on many GM vehicles since about 2015 has seemed to be on the rise IMO.

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Registered
14 Posts
The reason I left it at the dealership is the whole screen stays blank! should go back to normal screen when driving! So in my mind it is a serious safety issue. I don't know if anything else is working correct only have driven 1200 miles

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
The reason I left it at the dealership is the whole screen stays blank! should go back to normal screen when driving! So in my mind it is a serious safety issue. I don't know if anything else is working correct only have driven 1200 miles
Were you accessing the camera system manually or would it stay black from just changing gears?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Were you accessing the camera system manually or would it stay black from just changing gears?
Going into reverse the camera would go out after a few seconds and stay out when I put it into drive. And the only time my normal screen would come back is when I restarted my car and didn't put it into reverse! Very annoying

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Going into reverse the camera would go out after a few seconds and stay out when I put it into drive. And the only time my normal screen would come back is when I restarted my car and didn't put it into reverse! Very annoying
Wow, that is a little different.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
stay black with a question mark
still in the shop waiting on parts
Thanks for the update. Mine gets turned in for the buyback tomorrow. Almost 2 months from when it was approved. Still no idea what vehicle is next.

Reactions: Mike Geno

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the update. Mine gets turned in for the buyback tomorrow. Almost 2 months from when it was approved. Still no idea what vehicle is next.
Good luck with your new vehicle! Still waiting for my parts from GMC. Going on 2 months in the shop

·
Registered
14 Posts
I get that an all new platform is going to have some issues but these are the same units out of the trucks and they dont have any issues. I mean I love everything about the Acadia except its electronic gremlins. However, mine has been problem free for months on end now so I am quite thankful for that.
Jealous! I am glad it will be fixed I am just waiting for mine to get fixed in the shop almost 2 months 1200 miles

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am hoping for the buy back, Believe I would want an 2021 slt Acadia. I truly love the vehicle when it was working right

·
Registered
14 Posts
Essentially the same thing but a buyback is a good faith deal between the customer and the dealer. A lemon law is using a federal law forcing the dealer/manufacturer to take the vehicle back and refund all monies paid to conduct said transaction.
My dealer said if I was going to talk about the lemon law he would be out of the picture the last time I talked to him in person, He also said it would take time to get fixed so what do you do?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
I am hoping for the buy back, Believe I would want an 2021 slt Acadia. I truly love the vehicle when it was working right
I am truly sorry you are having to go through this but I think the wait will be worth it. I miss mine already.

I pursued the potential buyback through gm customer service directly. It has absolutely nothing to do with the dealer. All they do is sell and fix stuff. Eventually it was pushed up to a supervisor and then a corporate liaison. I think it took about 6 weeks and several more repairs before they agreed to do the repurchase trade. Your situation is a lot different than mine. Waiting parts for an almost 100% guaranteed fix vs mine with 6 failed repairs and about a dozen visits to the dealer for them to collect data with about 2 months total down time. A buyback is not guaranteed even based on lemon laws and is not something that just happens. It is a lot of work and even more waiting. I suspect they would require this repair to be completed before they ever considered anything. If you are considering pursuing a buyback I would contact a lawyer ASAP to make sure you understand your options. Also contacting customer service to open a case is not a bad idea either. Good luck. Feel free to ask if needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it wasn't for the AC howling noise and the camera issue that has been ruining it for me this vehicle really is hard to beat. It is light years better than the other 7 passenger SUV's out there in my opinion. Perfect size for normal families, reasonable fuel economy for the power, handling, performance, easy maintenance and ability to select 2WD only and all the top tech features make it hard to beat. We looked at every competitive vehicle and the Acadia was the best all around vehicle. Performance and handling were high on my list.

Everybody right now seems to be struggling to put out a reliable vehicle. What is your top pick is you get rid of the Acadia?
Tesla model 3, maybe the Tesla Y

141 - 160 of 188 Posts