GMC Acadia Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
New update for today. Sounds like corporate taking the cheap route and only replacing the coax cable and not the total harness. They told me to have a good weekend and hopefully they can get the car done some time next week when the parts come in. Enjoy the caddy xt4. Haha. Based on everyone’s experience through this thread, means this is a waste of time.
I would be happy with this fix. The coax cable is what is bad so that should fix your issue. It carries the signal and the power to the system. It might be a little more work for them to separate the coax from the whole harness but ultimately way less chance of them messing something else up in the process. Also doing a whole harness could also induce other problems as way more needs to be disconnected and moved around.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
737 Posts
I would be happy with this fix. The coax cable is what is bad so that should fix your issue. It carries the signal and the power to the system. It might be a little more work for them to separate the coax from the whole harness but ultimately way less chance of them messing something else up in the process. Also doing a whole harness could also induce other problems as way more needs to be disconnected and moved around.
I couldn’t remember but did they end up getting yours fixed?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
I couldn’t remember but did they end up getting yours fixed?
No not fixed and consistently getting worse. After the last failed repair and TAC wanting to put another camera in it I contacted corporate and said I am done. Also why I keep telling people to get an FSE involved early. TAC is just phone support and it appears they are ok with continuing to throw the same parts at it. Once I have more specific details I will post back and thank you for asking.

·
Registered
737 Posts
No not fixed and consistently getting worse. After the last failed repair and TAC wanting to put another camera in it I contacted corporate and said I am done. Also why I keep telling people to get an FSE involved early. TAC is just phone support and it appears they are ok with continuing to throw the same parts at it. Once I have more specific details I will post back and thank you for asking.
Gotcha, sorry you have had a horses a$$ with this one but hopefully there is a fix or a solution out there somewhere. I do whole heartedly agree that you should in some fashion be compensated for all of this madness you have been through. I know, I know its wishful thinking but still I think there should be something on the table that includes some sort of monetary compensation. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a little update. They finally got the coaxial cable and should be installing it now. I understand these are different times, but it shouldn’t have taken this long. The car arrived last Monday. It’s now afternoon Tuesday and most likely will not be ready till tomorrow at least because of testing. In total so far 13 days at the shop and still unsure if it will work. We have driven twice. Once home from dealer and the day the following day when the camera failed. Sorry venting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Just a little update. They finally got the coaxial cable and should be installing it now. I understand these are different times, but it shouldn’t have taken this long. The car arrived last Monday. It’s now afternoon Tuesday and most likely will not be ready till tomorrow at least because of testing. In total so far 13 days at the shop and still unsure if it will work. We have driven twice. Once home from dealer and the day the following day when the camera failed. Sorry venting.
Thanks for the update. Hang in there, sounds like they are getting it taken care of. I had a couple parts delays myself. Even expedited took 10 days for a module. The camera they replaced was on a nationwide back order and just randomly showed up a week later. Definitely some supply issues going on. I have ran into that with other non automotive stuff too lately.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
How did you make out?

·
Registered
19 Posts
How did you make out?
So far the camera has been working for 3 days, but now it seems like there is some rattle coming from inside the left rear passenger door. I couldn’t make this up if I wanted to. It almost sounds like someone left a tool inside the door. Super annoying considering we just got the car back and only had it for 3 days. I only noticed the door when I was putting the car seats in the car, but the cameras work for now. Haha

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
So far the camera has been working for 3 days, but now it seems like there is some rattle coming from inside the left rear passenger door. I couldn’t make this up if I wanted to. It almost sounds like someone left a tool inside the door. Super annoying considering we just got the car back and only had it for 3 days. I only noticed the door when I was putting the car seats in the car, but the cameras work for now. Haha
Good news on the camera and thanks for the update. Is that the longest it has worked for you? Sorry to hear about the noise in the door. I would give it a few weeks and see if anything else comes up so you can get it knocked out at the same time. Every single car still under warranty that I have bought over the last 20 or so years has always needed something and the stuff I have been seeing on all those loaners I had was no exception. It seems to be getting worse for all brands right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good news on the camera and thanks for the update. Is that the longest it has worked for you? Sorry to hear about the noise in the door. I would give it a few weeks and see if anything else comes up so you can get it knocked out at the same time. Every single car still under warranty that I have bought over the last 20 or so years has always needed something and the stuff I have been seeing on all those loaners I had was no exception. It seems to be getting worse for all brands right now.
The 3 days has been the longest it’s worked. Your right, seems like the days of customer satisfaction have come and gone. Here is your car will see you in a few months for some recall or some other issue.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The 3 days has been the longest it’s worked. Your right, seems like the days of customer satisfaction have come and gone. Here is your car will see you in a few months for some recall or some other issue.
No one takes pride in the things we build which translates to poor quality control, poor workmanship, under trained employees and no motivation to do anything other than complain. Lazy society bleeds into every aspect of daily life. We have simply become a “throw it away and buy a new one” society!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I do agree that the components used in design and the process of everything from engineering to the final assembly process seems to focus on efficiency, costs and "out the door". Also, so many parts are outsourced from the smallest bolts and screws, to electronics that quality of them can suffer.
If you combined the aspects I listed in the first paragraph across all the vendor supplied items, any shortcoming when the emphasis is on efficiency and cost gets multiplied in the potential for something to not be made right or go right on the final assembly.

As an example, if you got to see a vehicle being assembled in the body department where the hundreds of very long wiring harnesses are positioned and clipped into place with the multiple "push in" fasteners and connectors it might make your head spin. In many instances the manufacturing engineers are pressed to come up with an assembly procedure where an operator has 20 to 40 seconds to actually complete numerous assembly operations.

If said wiring harness has clips, fasteners or connectors that come up even slightly short and not in an ideal position, the operators often have to wrestle things into place quickly in the time allotted. The result may be wiring harnesses with connections stretched or compromised which later causes a failure. The same can be said of wherever the wiring harness or other component is made.
It's a wonder to me that more issues don't become manifest with all the increase in electronics and technology in the past 20 years or so.

I don't mean to make excuses for final quality, but it's simply a matter of the more complex a product becomes, probability ensues with the potential for more problems to occur.

What is bothersome to me in these past years is also the programming and user interface of the various controls, screens, indicators and switches all operated by a communication bus throughout a vehicle. No longer is a switch directly wired to open or close a window, turn on heat or A/C, or turn on a camera system. Everything often goes through several modules and programming sometimes also can have bugs left behind that cause issues. Sometimes minor, but other times a real pain in the butt for an owner.

I worked in several automotive electronics and assembly plants and too many like to make judgement calls about lazy complaining engineers, workers, or management. Yes, that occurs in some individuals, but it is generally not the cause of quality issues. . . unless of course it pertains to our dysfunctional government.;)
I see the process and too much emphasis on efficiency and cost as often the problem. In other words, trying to fit 10 pounds of (pick a substance) into a 1 pound container. . . . IMHO.:cool:

P.S. And , yes, I agree in the interest of profits and efficiency products seem to be designed to throw away and result in more sales by having to buy something new. Right now I type this in a 10 year old laptop with Win 7 on it. Both obsolete but this Dell is built like a tank and still works great. It was an $1,800 laptop MSRP which I bought for $250 as a refurb. I like to keep things out of land fills. :)

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Registered
737 Posts
I do agree that the components used in design and the process of everything from engineering to the final assembly process seems to focus on efficiency, costs and "out the door". Also, so many parts are outsourced from the smallest bolts and screws to electronics that quality of them can suffer.
If you combined the aspects I listed in the first paragraph across all the vendor supplied items, any shortcoming when the emphasis is on efficiency and cost gets multiplied in the potential for something to not be made right or go right on the final assembly.

As an example, if you got to see a vehicle being assembled in the body department where the hundreds of very long wiring harnesses are positioned and clipped into place with the multiple "push in" fasteners and connectors it might make your head spin. In many instances the manufacturing engineers are pressed to come up with an assembly procedure where an operator has 20 to 40 seconds to actually complete numerous assembly operations.

If said wiring harness has clips, fasteners or connectors that come up even slightly short and not in an ideal position, the operators often have to wrestle things into place quickly in the time allotted. The result may be wiring harnesses with connections stretched or compromised which later causes a failure. The same can be said of wherever the wiring harness or other component is made.
It's a wonder to me that more issues don't become manifest with all the increase in electronics and technology in the past 20 years or so.

I don't mean to make excuses for final quality, but it's a simply a matter of the more complexity a product becomes, probability ensues with the potential for more problems to occur.

What is bothersome to me in these past years is also the programming and user interface of the various controls, screens, indicators and switches all operated by a communication bus throughout a vehicle. No longer is a switch directly wired to open or close a window, turn on heat or A/C, or turn on a camera system. Everything often goes through several modules and programming sometimes also can have bugs left behind that cause issues. Sometimes minor, but other times a real pain in the butt for an owner.

I worked in several automotive electronics and assembly plants and too many like to make judgement calls about lazy complaining engineers, workers, or management. Yes, that occurs in some individuals, but it is generally not the cause of quality issues. . . unless of course it pertains to our dysfunctional government.;)
I see the process and too much emphasis on efficiency and cost as often the problem. In other words, trying to fit 10 pounds of (pick a substance) into a 1 pound container. . . . IMHO.:cool:

P.S. And , yes, I agree in the interest of profits and efficiency products seem to be designed to throw away and result in more sales by having to buy something new. Right now I type this in a 10 year old laptop with Win 7 on it. Both obsolete but this Dell is built like a tank and still works great. It was an $1,800 laptop MSRP which I bought for $250 as a refurb. I like to keep things out of land fills. :)
Very well said JayTee....as someone who has never worked in the automotive industry but has spent 20 something years in Construction I see a lot of corners cut, A lot of substitution of the cheapest product allowable up too and including minimum tolerances and an over all need to put speed in front of quality. (i,e. Profit margins above all else). The almighty dollar has taken place over everything. The consumer must fight to get the quality that they paid for, why is that? Why can’t a builder, of anything, stand behind his product. Why would they when they can sell you a face lifted, improved model that you should have received in the first place.

I agree whole heartedly that things have become over engineered to the point that it takes 100ft of wire and 3 interfaces to roll up the window. If thats the way it’s going to be then fine, don’t use the cheapest vendor. Cheaper is never better. NEVER! I also agree with that fact that schedules set by executives in leather bound chairs wearing a suit are garbage. When I set a schedule I meet with every trade and ask them to bring there lead installer and his helper. I ask the helper to set the schedule. Using that method I had a 90% on time delivery. We need to get back to the basics and start giving consumers what they pay for, the first time. And no I am not unreasonable, I know there will always be issues in putting anything together.

Ok so there is my A.D.D ramble for the day, My apologies!! As alway all of this nonsense in IMO!! ;) 😂:cool:

Reactions: JayTee2019
121 - 134 of 134 Posts