GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting this wrote up to hopefully save some headache for others down the road.

A week after my purchase of a new 2020 Denali with Ultimate package the 360 camera system died with a black screen showing a red triangle with a exclamation point and a red circle with a camera in the middle crossed out with a line. I was able to get it into the dealer the same day it failed and it has been an intermittent issue every since. Short version is the vehicle has had 4 failed repairs now and has been in the shop about 6 times for over a total of 2 weeks. The dealer has been escalating to tech support and then we wait for parts. I have been working with the service manager and senior tech directly to give them as much info as possible. Hopefully we will have all the parts and it will go in for the 5th try next week. I have put in a case with GM customer service to make sure this gets the attention it should. Not too pleased that this is still an issue almost 2 months later. Trying to be extra patient due to all that is going on in the world right now.

First repair:
They were trying to blame the failure on a wire tap in the rear view mirror for my radar detector. They supposedly played with some connections a well. I went to the dealer and removed the wires and of course it started working. At this time I did not know it was an intermittent issue so I took the vehicle and by the time I got back to work it failed again. They did not even have time to close out the paperwork. Just to prove the rear view mirror connection had nothing to do with it I sent a picture of the camera system working with the plug completely unplugged.

Second repair:
I brought he vehicle back the following week when the same technician was there and he could continue troubleshooting. They ended up keeping the vehicle for 9 days. They were waiting for a video processing module 84755321 for about 3 days. It failed the next day.

Third repair:
Brought it back in and they put some dielectric grease on the front camera due to possible fretting as well as testing some connections. It promptly failed and they ordered a nation wide back ordered rear camera.

Fourth repair:
The new rear view camera showed up and was installed. Everything was working and failed later that day. Was able to bring the vehicle back in for the senior tech to complete a scan to provide more info to GM. It had a huge list of codes pertaining to the VPM. GM believes the module is bad and have placed another order for one. When the part shows up and I drop the vehicle off they want the tech to do some signal tests from the BCM and if all good replace the module again.

A couple days ago a new symptom showed up. The front camera was completely dead. I was able to bring the vehicle back to dealership for a quick scan again. Now it is still showing the huge list of codes for the VPM and that the front and rear cameras have faults. No further info has been passed along to me from the dealership. I was told they expect all the parts at the end of the week. GM customer service confirmed they were going to have a senior advisor contact me in 2 business days. So far after 2 days I have not heard from them yet.

I will post again once I have more info.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
610 Posts
Not to up to speed on Lemon Laws or the likes of that stuff but wouldn’t something like this qualify you for a buy back and/or replacement? I know the last thing you probably want is to give up something you may have waited of for ang has grown to be your “Bessie” but that is a lot of issues to have related to electronics non of which have been an easy fix. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Acadia SLT FWD V6
539 Posts
Yay! Someone who has the same issue I did. I ended up having the entire infotainment unit replaced as well as the wiring harness for the camera system. After those two repairs, no issues since. However, it took 3 different dealers to find one competent enough to pinpoint the issue. As for GM customer service, they are nothing more than the average idiot. They act like they are going to help but do nothing more than relay messages back and forth. I got so fed up before finding the right dealership I emailed corporate GM and escalated the issue as high as I could go.

·
Super Moderator
20,027 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I get that an all new platform is going to have some issues but these are the same units out of the trucks and they dont have any issues. I mean I love everything about the Acadia except its electronic gremlins. However, mine has been problem free for months on end now so I am quite thankful for that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Yay! Someone who has the same issue I did. I ended up having the entire infotainment unit replaced as well as the wiring harness for the camera system. After those two repairs, no issues since. However, it took 3 different dealers to find one competent enough to pinpoint the issue. As for GM customer service, they are nothing more than the average idiot. They act like they are going to help but do nothing more than relay messages back and forth. I got so fed up before finding the right dealership I emailed corporate GM and escalated the issue as high as I could go.
Thanks for sharing. They did mention to me that I was not alone. I asked why they did not think it was on the infotainment side and they did not have a good answer for that. I was told that it has been escalated to the engineering group and is way past their first line support. I really hope they don't have to do any wiring harness work. The possibility for collateral damage is very high. This dealer is standing behind their work but is having to replace almost everything they have touched.

Also thanks for the heads up on GM customer service. Still have not heard from them. Today will be the 3rd day.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah they read me all kinds of standard issue BS before finding a good dealership. The wiring harness took 3 weeks to come in for mine but once it got there, it took them a mere hour to put it in. Apparently it got pinched just underneath the sill plate on the passenger side during assembly. It really comes down to how good your dealership is at diagnosing. So if they are doing all they can, then it shouldn't take too long.

In the meantime, what did they give you for a rental? I had an Accord EX and Pilot. Both were an absolute blast to drive but the Pilot made me regret not getting AWD.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Not to up to speed on Lemon Laws or the likes of that stuff but wouldn’t something like this qualify you for a buy back and/or replacement? I know the last thing you probably want is to give up something you may have waited of for ang has grown to be your “Bessie” but that is a lot of issues to have related to electronics non of which have been an easy fix. Just a thought.
I have been looking into all options and will not be sharing any of that type on info on the forum. I can say It is not an easy process and takes months.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I looked into it, and they do not consider electronics that do not hinder the safe operation of a vehicle a justifiable cause for lemon law. Hence why I am still in the Acadia. However, soon as I can get a job after getting laid off due to the pandemic, it will be traded in on something that has a better track record of reliablility.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah they read me all kinds of standard issue BS before finding a good dealership. The wiring harness took 3 weeks to come in for mine but once it got there, it took them a mere hour to put it in. Apparently it got pinched just underneath the sill plate on the passenger side during assembly. It really comes down to how good your dealership is at diagnosing. So if they are doing all they can, then it shouldn't take too long.

In the meantime, what did they give you for a rental? I had an Accord EX and Pilot. Both were an absolute blast to drive but the Pilot made me regret not getting AWD.
This dealer seems to be relying heavily on phone support. It sounds like not much info is available to the techs at the dealer. I have been asking for specific details on repair plans to sanity check the process. I don't like for the next round that they don't really have a back up plan.

For the first one I got an encore which was fun to drive but did not fit my family very well. I asked them to try to keep me in a bigger vehicle is possible after that. The second time I got a sierra with the big 6.2L. Fuel economy sucked bad but so much power. Nice truck. Next was a Tacoma. That literally was the worst vehicle I have ever driven. I though it was a 1995 model since everything looked so old and out of date. Nope 2020 TRD sport model. Infotainment was very slow and clunky. Power transfer and shifting was horrible. It felt like the transmission was going to fall out of the vehicle. Super unimpressed. Sorry Toyota fans. And last appointment I waited at the dealer. The upcoming appointment sounds like the biggest thing they have now is a 4-Runner. I always thought they had to give you a gm vehicle as a loaner. Guess not.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
I looked into it, and they do not consider electronics that do not hinder the safe operation of a vehicle a justifiable cause for lemon law. Hence why I am still in the Acadia. However, soon as I can get a job after getting laid off due to the pandemic, it will be traded in on something that has a better track record of reliablility.
If it wasn't for the AC howling noise and the camera issue that has been ruining it for me this vehicle really is hard to beat. It is light years better than the other 7 passenger SUV's out there in my opinion. Perfect size for normal families, reasonable fuel economy for the power, handling, performance, easy maintenance and ability to select 2WD only and all the top tech features make it hard to beat. We looked at every competitive vehicle and the Acadia was the best all around vehicle. Performance and handling were high on my list.

Everybody right now seems to be struggling to put out a reliable vehicle. What is your top pick is you get rid of the Acadia?

·
Super Moderator
20,027 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Everybody right now seems to be struggling to put out a reliable vehicle. What is your top pick is you get rid of the Acadia?
2021 Acura TLX or a 2020 F150 Platinum. May also keep my mind open for a 2002 WS6.

·
Registered
610 Posts
2021 Acura TLX or a 2020 F150 Platinum. May also keep my mind open for a 2002 WS6.
I’d love a Yukon Denali if you’re buying!! LOL!!

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
oh you want a denali huh? alright, I think Mattel makes one now. lol

the firehawk would be nice but not worth the extra coin to me. The basic WS6 will do as you get the wider tires and wheels, stiffer suspension, the cool *** hood, higher output motor, and better shocks and struts. The firehawk gets you a little more output, some stickers, and slightly stiffer bushings. Too much similar not enough uniqueness. And firehawk owners think they are the king's buttcrack with their cars. WS6 owners are like, 1000 bucks for this fire chicken, it dont run and the dash is cracked. Just take it out of my yard. :)

·
Super Moderator
20,027 Posts
Let's not jack this thread off topic too much. Stick with Acadia, or I'll lock it down.

·
Registered
610 Posts
oh you want a denali huh? alright, I think Mattel makes one now. lol

the firehawk would be nice but not worth the extra coin to me. The basic WS6 will do as you get the wider tires and wheels, stiffer suspension, the cool *** hood, higher output motor, and better shocks and struts. The firehawk gets you a little more output, some stickers, and slightly stiffer bushings. Too much similar not enough uniqueness. And firehawk owners think they are the king's buttcrack with their cars. WS6 owners are like, 1000 bucks for this fire chicken, it dont run and the dash is cracked. Just take it out of my yard. :)
I love it!! My wife is like what in the world is so funny in there that you keep busting out laughing!!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Let's not jack this thread off topic too much. Stick with Acadia, or I'll lock it down.
Sorry.... so easy to get off topic someimes. Thanks for keeping us straight!!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts