GMC Acadia Forum banner

2020 Acadia-mid-cycle refresh

7K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  JayTee2019 
#1 ·
Just read a brief article about the 2020 Acadia and it appears this is the mid-cycle refresh. Article listed changed grill/front facia, new rear design, nine speed transmissions, push button shift, changed infotainment systems, more safety related items standard, LED headlights on all models and misc. interior improvements.
Photo showed a bolder grill which looked okay to me. If they only made it Traverse size, I would be interested.

#3 ·
Yeah, a 9 speed might be cool, but it's not something I miss. My '19 has plenty of go, and low enough RPM on the highway for me.
The '20 front looks a bit more generic, more bold... I also prefer the 17-19, but both are nice.
I've been driving stick for over 20 years until now, having no shifter at all would feel strange. Also reminds me of the old dash shift buttons from... 60's Chrysler??

#5 ·
Yeah, a 9 speed might be cool, but it's not something I miss. My '19 has plenty of go, and low enough RPM on the highway for me.
The '20 front looks a bit more generic, more bold... I also prefer the 17-19, but both are nice.
I've been driving stick for over 20 years until now, having no shifter at all would feel strange. Also reminds me of the old dash shift buttons from... 60's Chrysler??
I understand that, out of my 6 cars, 3 are manual trans.

I think the 9 speed will give the 2020 a 2mpg bump in economy.When looking for a car, we test drive a 19 traverse FWD and a 19 acadia awd. I was surprised to find much heavier traverse was rated at like 18/27mpg while the acadia was only 18/25. I know thats fwd to awd, but still, I was surprised. Same motor,I guess thats due to the 9-speed and the annoying start/stop motor.

#10 ·
I loved the Chrysler push button cars with the oddly shaped steering wheels.

View attachment 8829
I seriously disliked the Chrysler push button selector and the one with the little toggle on the dash. You ever chsnged to reverse with the vehcile going 15 mph in forward? I have. Obviously there is more to the story about how that could/should not happen. But the moral to the story is that I do not want two(or more) little buttons side by side.

George

#9 ·
I guess you would have to jump over to the traverse forum to see what actual numbers they are getting.
The'19 FWD traverse we test drove had 350 miles on it, of what i assume are city test drives, and the avg mpg showed 20.1

Both my 09 and 14 awd acadias were rated at 16/22 and we pretty much always got 16-17 in our normal mixed driving, rarely over 20 even on highway.

Our 17 awd has been getting 23 mixed so far. no highways trips yet. hoping to get what others here are claiming!

#11 ·
A lot has to do with wind/weather, terrain/hills, traffic and how well a steady speed can be maintained.
My 2017 Colorado CCSB 2WD truck with the LGZ version of the LGX V6 gets me at least 25 MPG and often between 26 and 27 MPG (65 to 70 MPH) on 330 mile trips I've made regularly on the same route. I have seen 28 MPG twice but under ideal no wind or slight tail wind conditions.
I only have 1,700 miles on our 2019 Acadia FWD so think the mixed 22 around town and +27 to 28 MPG is great. We won't get to take a long 3,000 mile trip till next Spring, but hoping to get +26 MPG on the average. Of course, once down on I-75 and I-10 in Florida and trying to "go with the flow" at 75 to 80 MPH I don't expect the best MPG.

#14 ·
The"9txx" series transmission have been out for a while and are used in a wide array of GM cars. The 18-20 traverse and enclave use the 9t65, i've heard nothing bad...yet. Thats is what they would put in the 2020 acadia.
Most manufactures have gone to 8, 9, 10 speed autos and have been fairing very well.

2019 acadia gear ratios,

Hydra-Matic 6T70 six-speed automatic (3.6L)
Final Drive Ratio:3.16 (2.5L)
3.87 (3.6L)
Gear Ratios :)1)6T506T70
First4.584.48
Second2.962.87
Third1.911.84
Fourth1.441.41
Fifth1.001.00
Sixth0.740.74
Reverse2.942.88

2020 acadia gear ratios

Type:Hydra-Matic 9T65 nine-speed automatic
Gear Ratios :)1)9T65
First4.69
Second3.31
Third3.01
Fourth2.44
Fifth1.92
Sixth1.44
Seventh1.00
Eighth0.75
Ninth0.62
Reverse2.96

#15 · (Edited)
Except in the example above, the final drive ratios that is shows for the 2.5L and 3.6L engines are reversed. The 3.6L engine gets the 3.16 drive ratio.
Don't know why, but many GM publications of this info is incorrect. And it makes sense that the 2.5L would get the higher gear ratio of 3.87 so as not to lug the engine.
On my 2019 Acadia SLT-1 with the 3.6L V6 the build sheet shows 3.16 final drive ratio as well as one other document I have seen.
Also, I have driven a 2.5L in the 2019 Acadia and at 60 MPH in top gear it is turning higher RPMs than when we test drove the 3.6L.

#17 ·
One more thing I noticed. The 2020 Acadia whether you take the 2.0L turbo engine standard or the 3.6L V6 both have a final drive ratio of 3.47 or 3.49 verses the 2019 V6 axle ratio of 3.16.
Now, top gear over drive for the 9 speed is 0.62 verses 0.74 in the 6 speed transmission. So who knows how this will pan out.
It will be interesting to see how the real world customer MPG reviews are of actual MPG and what engine RPM will be at highway speeds of 60 and 70 MPH.

#18 ·
Having owned one for 3 weeks now, the 3.6 with the 9 speed auto is downright FUN. Mine is only fwd but if you like to get on it aggressively, might I suggest the AWD version. Under normal driving conditions, I am seeing 18-19 with the computer showing 21. At 80mph on the highway, I am barely at 2000rpm.

#19 ·
Good to hear. Sounds like the 9 speed runs a bit lower in RPM. What with really two over drive gears . .. no wonder. (y)

#21 ·
Agree. . . I've read of other GM vehicles with the newer infotainment system also have glitchy performance and even after several updates.
Also, i am more familiar with the system from 2017 up to this new system and it does all we need it to without any issues. Sometimes it seems GM doesn't allow enough time to test or even code this software in a finished vehicle before it is released to be built into vehicles. Or maybe developed over seas by some lowest bidder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.