GMC Acadia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know a few members have bought the '20 Acadia and wanted to know if anyone else is having an issue with their fuel gauge. Ever since new I have filled up when the light comes on and the most it has ever taken was 14.1 gallons. They come with a 19.5 gallon tank so after 6 months I am starting to think either they lied about the tank size or my fuel sending unit is miscalibrated in the tank. Yes I know there is a reserve but that is typically 1-2 gallons, not 5 !!! Is anyone else able to use more of their tank? I have come to deal with the horrific mpg of 16-17 city and 20 highway but only going 250 miles or so a tank is terrible in and of itself.

Yes I could take it to the dealer to have it checked out but with this virus thing going around I am trying to keep people out of the vehicle. Once their is a cure or an antibody, I will be more open to visiting the public again. But until then, mask when outside and avoid all humans!

-Mike
Hi Mike, just a note that is great that you are getting 16-17 in the City. I get 13-14 in the City with my 2013 Denali AWD.
It's interesting that my GMC dealer told me wait until you break in the vehicle and the mileage will improve. Still waiting after 7 years. LOL

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Fortunately, I wont have this vehicle that long. This was a lease and I had high hopes that have turned to let down after let down since ownership. Already got my eye on the next vehicle and if everything works out, I should be in a 2021 Acura TLX this fall. If it don't work out, the backup choice is the Ford Mach E. Assuming of course we don't end up in a full blown recession, depressed and broke living on the street. In which case I will stay in the Acadia, parked on the corner I will be working on to make the payment. lol

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Fortunately, I wont have this vehicle that long. This was a lease and I had high hopes that have turned to let down after let down since ownership. Already got my eye on the next vehicle and if everything works out, I should be in a 2021 Acura TLX this fall. If it don't work out, the backup choice is the Ford Mach E. Assuming of course we don't end up in a full blown recession, depressed and broke living on the street. In which case I will stay in the Acadia, parked on the corner I will be working on to make the payment. lol
Going from an SUV back to a car? Still am wondering the disparity in MPG you are getting.
What was your MPG on other vehicles you drove ? Did they match EPA listed numbers?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Actually, I have owned 3 trucks, 1 SUV, a corvette, 2 camaro's, 2 mustangs, a cavalier, a cobalt ss, honda accord, infiniti g37 and a kia optima. Except for the trucks, everything else got better mpg than what it was rated based on how I drive. I have gone from 9mpg in the ram to 35 in the optima and everything in between. This Acadia is just not compatible with me, for some reason. My guess is it just wasn't built right. There have been extensive issues since getting it and I am just done with this model. I still like GMC but think next time, if there is one with this brand, I will go with the trucks. Buit for now, with what I have seen coming out in 2021, the best fit for me will be the Acura. It offers the most for the least amount of money.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The MDX is a nice ride, depending on the year. Sister had one, I had to do a paint correction on it and she got 50% more at CarMax once I was done.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Wondering if you have some marginal O2 sensors. Even some new ones can be slow to respond in sensing. Have you connected up an OBD II scanner to check fuel trims and sensor operation at idle and while driving?
The sensor output can sometimes be erratic and never set any DTCs.

Usually, the O2 sensors do not cause any issues until later in vehicle use when they become "lazy" and slow to respond.
However, a new one can be marginal or something like a small vacuum leak can cause a rich fuel issue as well. The later would usually set a DTC though.
Look up some youtubes regarding lazy or slow O2 sensor issues.

·
Registered
2020 Acadia Denali FWD, Dark Sky Metallic
2 Posts
I know a few members have bought the '20 Acadia and wanted to know if anyone else is having an issue with their fuel gauge. Ever since new I have filled up when the light comes on and the most it has ever taken was 14.1 gallons. They come with a 19.5 gallon tank so after 6 months I am starting to think either they lied about the tank size or my fuel sending unit is miscalibrated in the tank. Yes I know there is a reserve but that is typically 1-2 gallons, not 5 !!! Is anyone else able to use more of their tank? I have come to deal with the horrific mpg of 16-17 city and 20 highway but only going 250 miles or so a tank is terrible in and of itself.

Yes I could take it to the dealer to have it checked out but with this virus thing going around I am trying to keep people out of the vehicle. Once their is a cure or an antibody, I will be more open to visiting the public again. But until then, mask when outside and avoid all humans!

-Mike
It may not be just your vehicle. I bought a 2020 Acadia in June and have been thoroughly frustrated over the inability to use the entire fuel tank (supposedly 19.4 gallons). I've discussed this with my local dealership, who has supposedly consulted with GMC Engineering, but I haven't received any helpful information. Here's what I've found out:

-- On the top end, there's a valve at the bottom of the filling tube that cuts off the pump when filling up. However, nobody can tell me exactly where this is or how much fuel will fit in the tank below this valve (they all say it's at the 19.4 gallon mark). They have all said that adding fuel above this point can cause damage and that I should stop filling when the pump cuts off. However, my experience over the past 6 weeks is that the tank isn't full at that point.
-- On the bottom end, I can't get anyone to definitively tell me how much fuel is left when the light comes on or when the Fuel Range changes from miles to "Low" (this is another frustration of mine). They usually say that it's 1.5 - 2.0 gallons but, like you, when I fill up at that point I don't end up with anywhere close to 19.4 gallons combined.

For example, on my last fill-up, I was trying to run the tank pretty empty and ended up filling up when there should have been about 17 miles to empty, or about 1 gallon. The fuel nozzle stopped at 16.7 gallons and I continued up to 17.0 gallons, but the GMC app on my phone said that I only had "about 18 gallons" in the tank. On a previous fill-up, the nozzle cut off at 16.3 gallons and I continued to add fuel up to 18.2 gallons until someone notified me of the valve and that I shouldn't do that (which I've since confirmed).

I'm looking into some drastic measures to figure this out. First, I may try to find someone with a camera to insert into the tank after I fill up to the nozzle cut-off to see where the fuel level is versus that valve, then add a quart of fuel until I reach the valve (or am just shy of it). Second, when the fuel light comes on or when the Fuel Range changes to "Low", I may find someone to siphon the fuel out of the tank to see how much is in there (and then put it back, of course).

I'm obviously new to this forum and look forward to any thoughts that any of you might have. Of course, I'll share any additional findings on my end.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I was thinking the sending unit was out of adjustment and its lying to the computer. Good luck convincing a dealership of this, it would take another shop to find it and enough people with similar claims before GMC even considers a problem may exist.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Perhaps GM is trying to avoid damage to the evap purge solenoids that have occurred on vehicles over the past several years. But assuring the fuel tanks are not overfilled the chance of flooding the purge solenoid might be reduced?
Owners of the Colorado/Canyon trucks find the same that the fuel tank will take more after the gas pump trips off.
In that case the Owners Manual states 21 gallons, but some owners report being able to get up to 25 gallons into it. They say the tank is the same size as the full size trucks . . . with some added baffle(s) to prevent a full fill.
But it is not recommended to over fill a fuel tank.

·
Registered
2020 Acadia Denali FWD, Dark Sky Metallic
2 Posts
Well, I completed a test this weekend and found that the Fuel Range is completely wrong. When the fuel light came on, I had 46 miles left. When the Fuel Range changed to "Low", I had 37 miles left. But I ended up driving another 61.5 miles from that point before I ran out of gas. (This was planned, as I had a gallon with me.) After adding that gallon and driving 4.5 miles to the gas station, I added another 18.5 gallons, stopping at the first click. So, it appears that the top of the 19.4-gallon fuel tank is at the first click.

However, the fuel light comes on at about 4 gallons left and the Fuel Range changes to "Low" about 0.5 gallons later (these are from calculations, not confirmed through subsequent fill-ups, which I plan to do later). IMO, this is way too large a reserve for a 19.4 gallon tank (and my regular mechanic agreed).

I checked with my local dealership to see if this can be re-calibrated at all and they said "no". Not surprising, but thought I'd try. So, I'll just have to note that the Fuel Range is underestimated and that I've got another 1-2 gallons before I really hit empty. I'm planning to write a letter to GMC about all of this at some point (not that I expect it to do any good), but it'll make me feel better.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It would appear that they are using those 4 gallons to keep the fuel pump submerged to make it last longer. No proof but just a hunch.

Good work on your testing evaluation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It may not be just your vehicle. I bought a 2020 Acadia in June and have been thoroughly frustrated over the inability to use the entire fuel tank (supposedly 19.4 gallons). I've discussed this with my local dealership, who has supposedly consulted with GMC Engineering, but I haven't received any helpful information. Here's what I've found out:

-- On the top end, there's a valve at the bottom of the filling tube that cuts off the pump when filling up. However, nobody can tell me exactly where this is or how much fuel will fit in the tank below this valve (they all say it's at the 19.4 gallon mark). They have all said that adding fuel above this point can cause damage and that I should stop filling when the pump cuts off. However, my experience over the past 6 weeks is that the tank isn't full at that point.
-- On the bottom end, I can't get anyone to definitively tell me how much fuel is left when the light comes on or when the Fuel Range changes from miles to "Low" (this is another frustration of mine). They usually say that it's 1.5 - 2.0 gallons but, like you, when I fill up at that point I don't end up with anywhere close to 19.4 gallons combined.

For example, on my last fill-up, I was trying to run the tank pretty empty and ended up filling up when there should have been about 17 miles to empty, or about 1 gallon. The fuel nozzle stopped at 16.7 gallons and I continued up to 17.0 gallons, but the GMC app on my phone said that I only had "about 18 gallons" in the tank. On a previous fill-up, the nozzle cut off at 16.3 gallons and I continued to add fuel up to 18.2 gallons until someone notified me of the valve and that I shouldn't do that (which I've since confirmed).

I'm looking into some drastic measures to figure this out. First, I may try to find someone with a camera to insert into the tank after I fill up to the nozzle cut-off to see where the fuel level is versus that valve, then add a quart of fuel until I reach the valve (or am just shy of it). Second, when the fuel light comes on or when the Fuel Range changes to "Low", I may find someone to siphon the fuel out of the tank to see how much is in there (and then put it back, of course).

I'm obviously new to this forum and look forward to any thoughts that any of you might have. Of course, I'll share any additional findings on my end.
Hi, I have a 2019 Holden Acadia , with the steering wheel on the right. I have exactly the same problem, very difficult to fill and clicks off at about 3/4 full. Low fuel alarm goes off at about 1/3 tank going round a righthand bend then comes back up to 1/3 when I go round a left bend. Roundabouts in Australia do it to me everytime and Holden (GMC) are now out of business in Australia. What should I do now?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hi, I have a 2019 Holden Acadia , with the steering wheel on the right. I have exactly the same problem, very difficult to fill and clicks off at about 3/4 full. Low fuel alarm goes off at about 1/3 tank going round a righthand bend then comes back up to 1/3 when I go round a left bend. Roundabouts in Australia do it to me everytime and Holden (GMC) are now out of business in Australia. What should I do now?
Are service shops still open and in business? I thought I read that they are so should be able to get service.

Did you get any mailings or info about continued service after Holden ended? Maybe call a customer serice number in your owners manual and see what you can find out.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Here's a site to use for scheduling service for your vehicle: Book a Service at a Holden Certified Service Outlet.

·
Registered
5 Posts

-Mike
Do you have an AWD or FWD? If AWD the fuel tank has 2 sides and a transfer tube in it. The Jet pump in the main side creates a vacuum and fills the main side from the sub side which also has a second level sender. Sometimes the Jet pump can become plugged and fuel does not transfer resulting in excess unusable fuel.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Do you have an AWD or FWD? If AWD the fuel tank has 2 sides and a transfer tube in it. The Jet pump in the main side creates a vacuum and fills the main side from the sub side which also has a second level sender. Sometimes the Jet pump can become plugged and fuel does not transfer resulting in excess unusable fuel.
Wonder why there's such a major difference in fuel tank design between the two?

FWD Fuel tank:
Camera accessory Gas Auto part Gadget Machine
AWD fuel tank:
Camera Camera accessory Digital camera Camera lens Reflex camera

(pictures courtesy of eBay)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drive shaft goes through the space where on an AWD tank would not require relief. Saddle tanks are common technology on AWD/RWD vehicles. Space is a premium under a car so to keep volume typical the additional complexity is required.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts