GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few members have bought the '20 Acadia and wanted to know if anyone else is having an issue with their fuel gauge. Ever since new I have filled up when the light comes on and the most it has ever taken was 14.1 gallons. They come with a 19.5 gallon tank so after 6 months I am starting to think either they lied about the tank size or my fuel sending unit is miscalibrated in the tank. Yes I know there is a reserve but that is typically 1-2 gallons, not 5 !!! Is anyone else able to use more of their tank? I have come to deal with the horrific mpg of 16-17 city and 20 highway but only going 250 miles or so a tank is terrible in and of itself.

Yes I could take it to the dealer to have it checked out but with this virus thing going around I am trying to keep people out of the vehicle. Once their is a cure or an antibody, I will be more open to visiting the public again. But until then, mask when outside and avoid all humans!

-Mike

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Something wrong if you are only getting 16-17 mpg around town. My '18 regularly gets 20-21 around town and up to 33 mpg on the highway.

I don't know if my low fuel light even works. When the needle drops below 1/2, it's time to get gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
And your 18 is a v6 fwd model too? I keep the rpm below 3k when driving to help fuel mileage but it does nothing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2020 Acadia a few weeks ago and have been very happy with the fuel mileage. My daily commute is 35 miles each way and it about half highway driving and half interstate roads. I've been averaging about 27 MPG for my daily roundtrip commute.

Overall, I've filled the tank twice putting in 18.5 gallons and 18.9 gallons when the gauge read about 1/8 of a tank, but before a low fuel light or warning came on. My overall mileage for those two fillups was lower due to misc local trips in addition to my daily work commute. I've traveled a total of 928 miles on those two tank fulls which is 24.8 MPG overall.

I've very pleased so far

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I purchased a 2020 Acadia a few weeks ago and have been very happy with the fuel mileage. My daily commute is 35 miles each way and it about half highway driving and half interstate roads. I've been averaging about 27 MPG for my daily roundtrip commute.

Overall, I've filled the tank twice putting in 18.5 gallons and 18.9 gallons when the gauge read about 1/8 of a tank, but before a low fuel light or warning came on. My overall mileage for those two fillups was lower due to misc local trips in addition to my daily work commute. I've traveled a total of 928 miles on those two tank fulls which is 24.8 MPG overall.

I've very pleased so far
That seems about par for our 2019 as well . . . including the fuel tank fill.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I know a few members have bought the '20 Acadia and wanted to know if anyone else is having an issue with their fuel gauge. Ever since new I have filled up when the light comes on and the most it has ever taken was 14.1 gallons. They come with a 19.5 gallon tank so after 6 months I am starting to think either they lied about the tank size or my fuel sending unit is miscalibrated in the tank. Yes I know there is a reserve but that is typically 1-2 gallons, not 5 !!! Is anyone else able to use more of their tank? I have come to deal with the horrific mpg of 16-17 city and 20 highway but only going 250 miles or so a tank is terrible in and of itself.

Yes I could take it to the dealer to have it checked out but with this virus thing going around I am trying to keep people out of the vehicle. Once their is a cure or an antibody, I will be more open to visiting the public again. But until then, mask when outside and avoid all humans!

-Mike
Are you telling us the MPG that you see recorded in your onboard computer? Or is this an actual MPG calculated from at least 3 tanks full of gas? Record odometer reading at one fillup. Three fills later then calculate MPG.

If you have not done an actual calculation, you need to do so to validate the computer information.

George

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See above, I posted my spreadsheet and feel free to double check the math. I don't even look at the computer, it's all lies anyway. I do it manually.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Not the Acadia, but is similar (essentially same engine 8 speed trans) for it as far as MPG and that I always hand calculate on all our vehicles.
A trip we make regularly several times a year and always hand calculated.
Agree. . . the DIC MPG is not always accurate, but at time it is pretty close on both the Acadia and Colorado truck example shown below.
Same engine as the Acadia, 8 speed transmission though.
285.2 Miles / 10.449 Gallons = 27.2945 MPG.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Not the Acadia, but is similar (essentially same engine 8 speed trans) for it as far as MPG and that I always hand calculate on all our vehicles.
A trip we make regularly several times a year and always hand calculated.
Agree. . . the DIC MPG is not always accurate, but at time it is pretty close on both the Acadia and Colorado truck example shown below.
Same engine as the Acadia, 8 speed transmission though.
285.2 Miles / 10.449 Gallons = 27.2945 MPG.

View attachment 9616
Too small of a sample to have reliable accuracy.

George

·
Registered
627 Posts
In the past when I was curious; I would fill to first click, drive, drive, drive, fill to first click and divide miles by gallons. Simple, spot on. Do it for a couple fill ups if need be. Personally, no idea what mine gets, haven't looked since the month I bought it. Partly as it doesn't matter (when I need gas, I still need gas), partly as I need metric for road speed (Canada) but think Imperial for MPG (L/100KM doesn't register in my head).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I was younger I could do that. Fill up, drive all day and night, fill up again before going home. Granted, in the grand scheme of things it dont really matter but one of the main reasons I got this as opposed to a Palisade, Telluride, Explorer, or Durango was the room, technology and fuel economy. 2 of those 3 have let me down, but its still roomy! Just hoping to make new owners aware that yours "may" or "may not" get advertised mpg ratings. I am more than happy to share my results, get video proof, screen captures, whatever it takes to prove that my particular example... frankly... sucks!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Too small of a sample to have reliable accuracy.

George
Reliable enough. Just illustrating that hand calculating and DIC are comparable.
Al least ... at times. And, we do in fact get ~22 MPG in town mixed driving and +26 to +28 MPG on interstate highway drives regularly so far hand calculated.
I calculate every fill up. Not just now and then or only one fill up.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I mean, I can record every trip for an entire tank but that would be a 10 hour video. What would you like me to provide?
You need at least 3 full tanks (15 or more gallons per fil) on which to calculate the MPG. One 10 gallon fill is inadequate. There is just too much variation in how the auto shutoff of the gas pump to use only a sample of 1.

George

1 - 20 of 29 Posts