GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
SMH. .. . that dealer's tech do not seem very meticulous or skilled if they can screw up like that.

After the repair, they should have done a close visual with the engine running ad a good long drive to test it out an note any anomalies. Time to talk to the dealer service manager and the dealer owner outlining the issues and less than stellar repair actions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Got a ride to the dealer today to get a loaner and see what was going on. They were able to get it up on the lift while I was there. The bolt in the driveway appears to have been over tightened and snapped off in the block. Probably cross threaded since it would not just spin out while I was there. This is the bolt that holds the end of the compressor furthest from the belt. They figure that the vibration worked the other nut loose on the stud and eventually got loose enough for the belt to ride off the pulley. As long as they can get the broken bolt out the engine block seems ok. The compressor had a fair bit of damage on the mounting flange.
The plan so far is to replace all mounting hardware, new compressor and serpentine belt.

I have a 15 year old truck and 20 year old car that have not gotten this much attention in their whole existence.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
sigh - - Were they going to "talk" to the service person who accomplished this errant repair action?
I would take note of who this repair tech is. The name or number of the the repair tech should be on the last repair order when the compressor was replaced.
Then. . firmly request that he/she is not to be assigned work on your Acadia.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The service manager was out today so the senior tech that I have gotten to know really well was covering for him. He is the one that will be doing the re-repair. I have requested a different tech in the past but not sure that helped much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
They have all the replacement parts now(AC compressor, belt and fasteners) but still have not been able to remove the broken bolt. I told them take their time and don't rush. I have a decent loaner and am in no rush.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Picked up the vehicle mid morning. They were able to get the broken bolt out of the block and replaced all the fasteners, compressor and belt. The vibration\noise is 100% gone or back to normal. The low RPM whine is definitely still there. It shows up at stops and while driving at slow speeds in a parking lot. What does seem to be resolved is that it does not seem to whine under acceleration or moderate speeds. It appears the first compressor was definitely bad but we still have something else that is not quite right. I have emailed the dealer to see what steps are next.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No news on my vehicle but I did test drive a 2020 XT6 and did notice some AC whine. More noise than I expected but way quieter than mine. My sister still has yet to hear hers make any noise.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts