GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was following a couple other threads but wanted to start one for 2020 model.

Symptom: AC starts howling during more moderate temperatures(less than 80deg) and with stop and go traffic. As soon as you hit the AC off button the noise immediately goes away and in some cases never comes back for the rest of the drive cycle. Noise intensity seems to vary based on conditions. It can be heard during acceleration sometimes as well. It almost sounds like a power steering pump starting to go bad.
I have not noticed it during highway speeds or down to about 35mph or when it is above about 80deg. Changing HVAC fan speed does not change the noise. I think it seems to be conditions that don't give the condenser as much air flow. Hotter temps allow the coolant fan to run more and slower speeds and cooler engine temps don't move or demand as much air.

Today I was at the dealership and it was making a bunch of noise on the way there. Once again slower speeds with more stop and go traffic and temps in the mid 70's. Once I got to the dealer I did not shut the vehicle off and requested their lead tech to go for a test drive with me. After a few minutes he was able to hear the noise and I demonstrated that turning the AC off eliminated the noise. We duplicated the noise a couple times. Next they hooked up the AC machine and completely evacuated the system to see how much Freon was in it. It was overcharged by about 12%. They let the machine leak check and then refill to the proper level.

On the way home it did not make any howling noise but might have been too hot out already. I will update once it has been tested more. The tech said that GM already approved the compressor to be replaced if the noise returns.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: The noise is not as frequent but is still there and it seems way louder when it is happening. In general the compressor does not sound very good either. They are ordering a compressor now. I will report back after the replacement. Probably going to be a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
609 Posts
Update: The noise is not as frequent but is still there and it seems way louder when it is happening. In general the compressor does not sound very good either. They are ordering a compressor now. I will report back after the replacement. Probably going to be a couple weeks.
I have a 2018 SLT and I occasionally notice a noise that I wouldn’t call a howl but more of a low growling that starts when the AC is on and then stops when I turned the AC off. A bit of intel to this story that I feel is relevant and that is I have some lung issues and that AC button is pressed 100% of the time, even in the winter. Now yes it doesn’t occasionally get a break when the humidity level goes down. I am now wondering if I should have it checked out as I have a bumper to bumper Aftermarket warranty on the Acadia.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My '17 has an A/C whistle that (apparently) no one but me can hear. When the ambient temperature is near the desired cabin temp. the A/C makes a low whistle that sounds like someone is blowing across a glass soda bottle (for those of you who remember them)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Compressor was replaced yesterday. I took in on a 200 mile trip today and did not hear a single peep out of it. Could not even tell the AC was running. I was able to spin the old compressor by had and it felt like it had a bad bearing. The new one had no resistance at all and was completely smooth. I will post back after It has some time on it.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
609 Posts
Appreciate the follow up!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only had the vehicle back for a few days before it went back for the camera issue and just got it back yesterday. So far it has been pretty much silent and is dramatically different even during warmer weather. I will update back once I have some more time with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still having an issue at somewhat cooler temps. This morning it was around 60 deg outside and at all stops and idle in parking lot it was very loud. Cycled off AC and noise immediately went away. Also tracks with engine RPM's. Noise came back withing about 5 seconds after turning system back on. The warmer weather and accelerating noise seems to have been resolved though. Emailed dealer with the latest and got confirmation they escalated to TAC.

Also post compressor replacement the engine picked up a drone\vibration most notice at about 1350 to 1600 RPM's during light loads. We are not sure if this is related as the bad compressor may have been masking it. Immediately noticed upon picking up the vehicle during cold start and just backing out of the spot. Everything got double checked on the lift and they told me to take the vehicle and see if it got better or worse. No change so they attempted to re-center engine mounts. Did not seem to change anything. Maybe less vibration.

This vehicle has had such bizarre issue. I was able to test drive 2 others and did not notice anything at all like this.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Acadia SLT FWD V6
539 Posts
Do you believe that fate sends signs for us to notice? The sign is loud and clear from where I sit and it may be time to sell and run. Not advice, just a thought.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear you my friend and I engaged corporate again. No way I am going to eat that kind of money doing a trade in or sale. It really is getting to a point where I am not sure I want another one if that is all they can offer. We just traded a 2018 equinox diesel for this that kept having emissions issues. At least they were able to fix them the first time and the rest of the vehicle was good. I did not like how it would get a check engine light and starting counting down mileage before it would limit vehicle speed to something like 5mph. Regardless we needed more room.

I have literally waited for this vehicle for 4 years. All my complaints on the previous model they took care of during the refresh. Such a pleasure to drive with plenty of power on tap. MPG could be better but is better than most for what it provides. The only vehicle that we did not get to try out was a highlander, pilot or Atlas. None of which excited me.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Did you drive the Telluride or Palisade? Both are way roomier than the Acadia, little low on power though, but handle and stop FAR better! However, gotta get the top trim to get LED headlights but even still, its cheaper than the GMC. Hell, for 50k, you can get into a Tahoe, Yukon, even a Expedition! And with the deals out right now.... oooooh lordy, you can get a good deal !!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked into both but never went and looked in person. Thanks for the feedback on them. The mag ride on the Denali is really impressive. Makes it a completely different vehicle. I might go look at a highlander hybrid if things keep going down hill.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pretty sure the new compressor has something to do with the issue and since that is when the issues started I should not be surprised. I drove with no AC on the way to work and the vehicle was so smooth and quiet. It was quite impressive. As soon as I turned it back on there was quite a bit of vibration and noise across the board. I have an appointment Tuesday to get it looked at.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Time for that thing to go bro.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Spoken like the words of a true millionaire. Doing trade or leases every year. . . wow. . . really doesn't do a lot for responsible fiances. :oops:
Let's see what this better dealer might do. I'd say the the front evap coil may be a large part of the noise.
One other member finally got it replaced and the noise was gone. But a lot of tearing apart to get at it even for dealer service techs.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have no doubt he will get it fixed but its more irresponsible to continue with a money pit than cut your losses and move on to a more worthwhile investment. Making payments on a vehicle that spends more time at a dealer than in your driveway is WHOLEHEARTEDLY financially irresponsible. But this is not the place for financial advice, it is, after all, just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have no doubt he will get it fixed but its more irresponsible to continue with a money pit than cut your losses and move on to a more worthwhile investment. Making payments on a vehicle that spends more time at a dealer than in your driveway is WHOLEHEARTEDLY financially irresponsible. But this is not the place for financial advice, it is, after all, just my opinion.
I don't think he said his Acadia is spending "more time at a dealer" (assumption). He just has had it in several times for the issue. Which, BTW, is likely the evap coil. I read where some coils came from the vendor with some obstruction or rough spots inside that causes the noise..
It's just GM makes the dealers go through other steps before getting to the root ( and more costly) cause.
Just as any brand of car maker would.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think he said his Acadia is spending "more time at a dealer" (assumption). He just has had it in several times for the issue. Which, BTW, is likely the evap coil. I read where some coils came from the vendor with some obstruction or rough spots inside that causes the noise..
It's just GM makes the dealers go through other steps before getting to the root ( and more costly) cause.
Just as any brand of car maker would.
The vehicle has spent just shy of 4 weeks at the dealer now. 2 weeks for the first camera failure and 1 week for the last camera fix. Also had a couple days a few other times. Not to mention several trips just for them to pull codes. The AC compressor only took them about half a day. If they were able to have resolved the camera issue this whole thing might not be as bad to me. This is only the second attempt to resolve what ever is going on with the compressor. They got rid of most of the howling\whine noise and traded it for a whine at cooler temps and noise\vibration rest of the time.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
That's a bit of time alright. Of course.. . the first dealer was the most time waster it sounds like. And GM Customer Service. . . . If it goes on. . . might be good to call GM corporate. Then it comes from the top down.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This afternoon we blew a serpentine belt on the way to the park with my family. I was able to make it to a bigger parking lot a couple blocks away. Made a hell of a noise when it started shredding but was not sure until the battery light came on. Had a friend bring us home while waiting for the tow truck and found a bolt with threads snapped off in the drive way. Drove back with my truck and while waiting looked to see where it may have came from and found the compressor dangling in the engine bay.

I knew there was a problem when I tried to pick up the vehicle but had not idea it was this bad. As stated earlier had the tech verify the issue and he told me to take the vehicle. I will not be surprised with the amount of vibration it had that the block wont have damage as well. I am sure this will make no difference with corporate since it appears the dealer screwed up the install. It does made me wonder though if the AC compressor did resolve the issue or not.

I will update once I have more info. Words once again escape me on this one.

Corporate and the dealer have been emailed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts