GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About $3200 in parts so far. Have about $3k more to go. Of course I'm upgrading as well. Adding HD towing components, the black out accent package, Wireless charger, and Denali digital dash. So some of that cost is in upgrades. So happy so far. Getting close to the end. So should be at most $22-$24k for basically a brand new car that hasn't even had its first oil change. Best part is..... it's paid for.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that is on the list!!!! 🤣 I just bought a complete gate. It came out $275 more for me to buy the used exhaust and complete gate. Than to buy a new shell and new exhaust, paint it, switch the glass, and harness and all the components. So in the end with saving time and labor it was cheaper. The chrome will be black and getting the black out tail lights as well.

·
Registered
338 Posts
How does this work with insurability and street value for resale?

Is insurance coverage limited to only compulsory, and could this rebuild ever be sold again with a title other than “salvage”?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
How does this work with insurability and street value for resale?

Is insurance coverage limited to only compulsory, and could this rebuild ever be sold again with a title other than “salvage”?
"Washing" a salvage title used to be a common practice among third tier auto dealers. There were, may still be, states that issued titles with no salvage indicator.

Car Fax and the internet has helped in alleviating that issue. Just google the vin. Insurance auction photos live forever on the internet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Resale is obviously a little lower with a rebuilt title than a clean title. With this vehicle and other vehicles I have bought have been for personal use only. So really not interested in resale. But you can find a plethora of rebuild videos on Youtube that do just that. It will always have the brand of salvage or rebuilt. As long as it's done right the vehicle should not have any issues. I could probably easily sell this in the $28-$30k range. But, wife needs a new ride. I called for insurance, and the price difference a month is only about $10 higher than my 15' Canyon for full coverage. You also have to remeber that in an event the vehicle is totaled again. The pay off will be lower than if it were a clean title. Stay away from junk, cert of destruction, or the MV-907 titles out of New York. The only reason for buying these are for parts purposes. They are significantly cheaper most of the time, and usually make it cheaper the rebuild your salavge title vehicle than buying the parts new.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just always wonder about these “Frankenstein” vehicles - not just about insurability and street value, but also safety. A co-worker does this kind of thing on the side, too, and usually ends up selling the finished product to another co-worker. He says he picks his wrecks very carefully, and (outwardly) his work looks very good, but I always wonder - what happens if someone is involved in another wreck with these resurrected vehicles, they suffer life-altering injuries, and decide to sue the manufacturer for faulty design. But the manufacturer’s lawyers get them off the hook when they discover it’s a “Franken-Mobile” - and not their original factory build.

Could the injured party then go after the “Franken-Builder”?

If you build your own house you still have to jump through all the inspection hoops along the way. Who’s double-checking (or re-certifying) auto-rebuilds? With the numbers of people doing this kind of thing, there have to be some out there who are doing it to too low a standard.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I know here in Florida we have to bring the vehicle to the DMV and have it go through an inspection process. They go though make sure the parts are not stolen. You have to submitt pictures before and after repairs. All receipts of parts. So you can't just fix it however you want and you are good to go. The DMV has to approve the rebuild. Then they process all the paperwork to brand it rebuilt. So technically, you can blame the DMV if something happens cause they have to sign off on the rebuild, at least here in Florida. I'm sure it's is a similar process in every state. Sure some are more of a hassle than others

·
Registered
930 Posts
Well I know here in Florida we have to bring the vehicle to the DMV and have it go through an inspection process. They go though make sure the parts are not stolen. You have to submitt pictures before and after repairs. All receipts of parts. So you can't just fix it however you want and you are good to go. The DMV has to approve the rebuild. Then they process all the paperwork to brand it rebuilt. So technically, you can blame the DMV if something happens cause they have to sign off on the rebuild, at least here in Florida. I'm sure it's is a similar process in every state. Sure some are more of a hassle than others
Same process in PA. I fixed up a car for my daughter's boyfriend and went through the enhanced vehicle inspection to get a rebuilt title.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just always wonder about these “Frankenstein” vehicles - not just about insurability and street value, but also safety. A co-worker does this kind of thing on the side, too, and usually ends up selling the finished product to another co-worker. He says he picks his wrecks very carefully, and (outwardly) his work looks very good, but I always wonder - what happens if someone is involved in another wreck with these resurrected vehicles, they suffer life-altering injuries, and decide to sue the manufacturer for faulty design. But the manufacturer’s lawyers get them off the hook when they discover it’s a “Franken-Mobile” - and not their original factory build.

Could the injured party then go after the “Franken-Builder”?

If you build your own house you still have to jump through all the inspection hoops along the way. Who’s double-checking (or re-certifying) auto-rebuilds? With the numbers of people doing this kind of thing, there have to be some out there who are doing it to too low a standard.
I wouldn't consider my vehicle a Frankenstein car. Since every part I'm buying minus the liftgate will all be BNIB GM parts from GM. But I do know what you mean that some people will get random parts from other cars to fix one vehicle. But like I said, if it's done right and by a skilled or professional person/shop you should not have any safety issues. Since most shops that do body work, offer lifetime warranty on their work to whomever owned and or paid for the repair of the vehicle at the time of services. So if you sell it, that warranty goes away. In that situation, I would fix a car and drive it for awhile and make sure all the issues are resolved before I would it sell it to someone else.

·
Registered
338 Posts
By “Frankenstein”, I meant worse-case scenario where somebody might try to weld the back end of one vehicle onto the front end of another, or vice-versa (LOL!).

But then again - you might as well file all the “frame-straightening” shenanigans and the title-doctoring (moving the vehicle back and forth across state lines) under “Frankenstein”, too (LOL!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
About $3200 in parts so far. Have about $3k more to go. Of course I'm upgrading as well. Adding HD towing components, the black out accent package, Wireless charger, and Denali digital dash. So some of that cost is in upgrades. So happy so far. Getting close to the end. So should be at most $22-$24k for basically a brand new car that hasn't even had its first oil change. Best part is..... it's paid for.
Where did order the “black out accent package” parts from? I know they offer the black edition now but other than part for the tailgate I haven’t been able to find the parts to order yet. I’m trying to reduce the amount of chrome on my Denali.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Not a bad way to save $158. Also painted the front fog light covers and cross trim the same black to match the grill. Will get those installed later and post a completed front end pic. Have to do a little clean up on the fog covers but think it's going to look pretty sick up front.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
7 Participants
JPelectrical3825
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing