GMC Acadia Forum banner

C1XX body: Broken Sunroof Sunshade Clip/Latch

51K views 37 replies 23 participants last post by  KimWilson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The front sunroof/moonroof sunshade clip broke on my 2019 GMC Acadia SLT. This is the small plastic clip attached to the sunroof frame, not the one attached to the sunshade itself.

This seems like an easy enough part to install, but I've been unable to find a replacement part for it anywhere.

I really wish that GMC molded part numbers into these clips.

Does anyone have any idea what this part number is or where to find one?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
GM on-line parts lists only show the complete sunroof frame assembly. That could be fixed by the dealer's service center if the vehicle is still covered by new car warranty.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Speleos, that's what I was finding too. I suppose I could take my vehicle in, it is under warranty, but that is always such a pain. Honestly, I'd be taking my vehicle in, likely for an entire day, only to have them replace a plastic part with two metal inserts that likely cost GM a dollar to manufacture. I'd be happy to pay a few bucks just to order the part myself and reinstall it in 30 seconds.

#4 ·
I guess you do all your service work yourself, eh? Why don't you just drop in to any GM dealer's parts department and ask them if they can find/order the part for you? Their parts catalogs are a heckuva lot more comprehensive than the BS ones online.

#8 · (Edited)
You likely have other choices of GM dealerships in your area. It doesn't have to be a GMC dealer. I've been to GMC, Chervrolet, and Cadillac dealerships since my selling dealer was closed shortly after I purchased my Acadia. The Chevy and Caddy dealers didn't handle GMC, but did warranty work when they could.

#9 ·
Don't necessarily want to make this discussion turn into a focus on issues with my local dealership. I am on my third Acadia, each one bought from a different dealership, with varying levels of customer support, some great, some not so great. Every experience I've had with this local dealership has been very poor.

As for the clip, just thought this should be a quick $5-10 part that I could install myself. The clip broke relatively easy. While my vehicle in under warranty and should be fixed for free, it will likely happen again to me, or others and may not be under warranty. Thought I could find a replacement online, but looks like I'll be heading in to the dealership.

#10 ·
Don't necessarily want to make this discussion turn into a focus on issues with my local dealership. I am on my third Acadia, each one bought from a different dealership, with varying levels of customer support, some great, some not so great. Every experience I've had with this local dealership has been very poor.

As for the clip, just thought this should be a quick $5-10 part that I could install myself. The clip broke relatively easy. While my vehicle in under warranty and should be fixed for free, it will likely happen again to me, or others and may not be under warranty. Thought I could find a replacement online, but looks like I'll be heading in to the dealership.
So you are saying your dealer is not frustrating?

#15 ·
On my 2019 Denali the rear shade latch broke. The black rectangle latch part, that was riveted to the frame came apart. They riveted the piece and the connection failed. What I did was, after removing the two rivets I used black trim screws (with collars) to secure the piece. Lots better repair then having to wait while they order the part then have them rivet it again and wonder if it will hold.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had to replace mine as well, took over a year of research. Apparently there is a a way and GMC will not honor it. This is the part number that worked for me, I also had to replace the black piece, that was broken as well. There are 2 different part numbers depending on the color.
Refer to Bulletin #17-NA-371 is how I found out how to do it.

Hood Car Vehicle Automotive design Fixture
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel
Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Number
Font Line Parallel Screenshot Asphalt

#23 ·
I had to replace mine as well, took over a year of research. Apparently there is a a way and GMC will not honor it. This is the part number that worked for me, I also had to replace the black piece, that was broken as well. There are 2 different part numbers depending on the color.
Refer to Bulletin #17-NA-371 is how I found out how to do it.

View attachment 11414 View attachment 11415 View attachment 11417 View attachment 11418
Thank you. However I need the latch for the rear moon roof. Will this work for the rear also?

#24 ·
Here is what is going on over at the Traverse site. Same issues.

I never had a rear issue just the front. They did beef up the new latch. I bought a couple extra and no longer have issues. I also made one our of aluminum from the front. Not hard to do.

I note my new Acadia the tension is much less. I still think some of these are just wound too tight.

#32 ·
This is the most idiotic design I have ever seen. The part is not what is needed if the rivets are still in the shade frame. Why would they rivet a $2 plastic piece to begin with? The video referenced above is a joke. He destroys his frame trying to get the rivets out. I just Gorilla Glued mine back in. If it doesn't hold I wil cut a soft piece of wood to keep it compressed while the glue dries.

#38 ·
Thanks for posting this, my rear sunroof sunshade is open and I am pretty sure I heard the clip break when it flew open one day. I like others do not want to wait in the dealership for hours while they fix it. I'm thinking of just leaving it open or jerry rigging it some other way with maybe a metal clothes hanger and some gorilla glue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.