GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am novice when it comes to car mechanics and hoping that find some solutions to my questions. I own a 2019 denali and I feel that the headlights and backup camera are poor. I have even upgraded headlights to xenarc cbb but still feel like its on the dimmer side. I have read about 35w v 50w but dont really want to go to 50w for the obvious risks. I want to know if there is any way to convert them to LED setup and whether it would really help. I have tried finding online but looks like its nearly impossible to convert to LED. I have owned a 2016 kia optima sx and lights in them were awesome. I have also test driven the stinger and sorento with LED and found them quite powerful. I have to say Acadia drives better than the Sorento and more spacious. Only gripes are poor headlights and poor svm/backup camera clarity. So my questions are
1) can the HIDs be converted to LEDs
2) if not, how to improve visibility. Is going for 50w only option? Is it really safe to bump up to 50w?
3) Is there any way to improve clarity of cameras? Would installing HD cameras improve and has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I'm perfectly content with the lights and camera on my '18.

Not sure why so many have a need for headlights so bright that they routinely blind oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Not sure why so many have a need for headlights so bright that they routinely blind oncoming drivers.
Within the last few months this has really gotten bad around here. I flash someone to tell them they have their brights on and they then show me they brights are even brighter. Really bad on 2 lane roads.

George

·
Registered
207 Posts
Within the last few months this has really gotten bad around here. I flash someone to tell them they have their brights on and they then show me they brights are even brighter. Really bad on 2 lane roads.

George
I think some people just want the brightest light they can get, and perhaps don't realize the consequence... or don't care. I have half a mind to start reporting them.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even when you consider just the OEM standards, Acadia headlights are poor compared to other manufacturers. Certainly not talking about Audi standard but would expect it to be better for a $50k vehicle. I had to install after market only because OEM were not good enough.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think its difficult make sense to fools. And this forum has many fools. I havent changed my eyes between the optima and acadia and optima had better oem headlights. Thanks guys, all of you have been so very helpful.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There are a plethora of posts about replacement of the less than optimal headlights. My post was more a reply about some who install incorrect bulbs, resulting in irritating other drivers, among other potential issues.
Replacement with proper bulbs is something on my own list of possible changes.
My old '03 325i had amazing lights, not a realistic goal. But something better would be nice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I own a 2019 denali and I feel that the headlights and backup camera are poor.
The HID headlights are one of the reasons I bought the Denali, and even those are nowhere near the LEDs on my (former) Acura RDX.

The backup camera during daylight is fine but comes up lacking at night. There's a thread about that somewhere.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I think its difficult make sense to fools. And this forum has many fools. I havent changed my eyes between the optima and acadia and optima had better oem headlights. Thanks guys, all of you have been so very helpful.
As you proclaimed in your opening post, you are a novice. As a novice, I would not be suggesting others with mechanical experience are fools.

The focal viewpoint of the Optima is far different than that of the Acadia. The headlights of the Acadia are plenty bright. Some folks should only be driving in the daytime.

·
Super Moderator
18,999 Posts
... The headlights of the Acadia are plenty bright. ...
The stock halogen lights on my Acadia have been more than adequate for my driving needs - both in town and out in the boonies. I don't have a desire to light up the known universe just to drive down the highway.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I replaced our halogens with LEDs and they made a world of difference. Still not the brightest but better than the halogens.

My wife’s ‘19 Beetle has HIDs and that set up is a whole different story. If I could I’d swap those HIDs with LEDs mainly because of the crappy shutter system VW put in them. Same system as the Acadia yet on normal beams there’s a blind spot and dual notch that VW says is normal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
IIHS Rates the HID setup in the Denali as Marginal. I am happy with my lights but understand how you could want something better. Instead of changing bulbs you should look at replacing the projector lenses, that can help. The Retrofit Source is a great place and they could help you get the light output you desire.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I 100% agree with you, I love my 2019 Denali Acadia, and also don't understand these fools that need headlights that light up 5 miles of roadway and blind everyone else and don't know how to dim the headlights! Love the auto dimmer on my Denali and the cameras are great also!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is unclear to me why you believe the headlights and backup camera are poor. Is it that your headlights do not let you see far enough in front of you ? Is the camera too dark or is the image that is shown to small.

Some more detail would be helpful for members to provide feedback. It may not be the lumens that the headlights provide, it could be as simple has having them aligned. Without additional information, anything is just a guess. Vehicles all set at differing heights and most states regulate what you can do with headlights. So be careful.

I think most of the people here are trying to be helpful, just try to be understanding that sometimes when we are looking for a particular response, some may miss our expectations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw the same IIHD rating and would agree with it. Compared to my 2012 Acadia Denali which was taller I agree the headlights kinda suck when driving at night. I sometimes try to supplement the HID lights by running the fog lights but it’s still not great. I think the reasoning for them being bad is either the placement or the lens/reflector they’re using. I’m not sure if upgrading the HID lights would make a significant difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts