GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
A lot of people writing about frames on this thread. Is not the Acadia a UniBody construction vs frame construction?
"Unibody" essentially means the vehicle chassis is constructed by integrating the body and frame as one piece, instead of having a body with separate frame. Here, folks are discussing a major structural component of the unitized body. Do some extracurricular reading about unibody (a.k.a. monocoque, or semi-monocoque) construction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, new to the forum. Unfortunately not on the best of circumstances. My wife was rear ended by a Ford F-150 on the way home from work last week. Thankfully she is ok, just very sore. I’ve been trying to do some research as we deal with all of this and came across this site. Still waiting on her Acadia to get to the body shop we selected. I don’t know a lot about cars so not sure what to expect as far as repairs. The other guy was at fault and he has State Farm. So far they have been very responsive, got her in a rental etc.

I spoke to one of their agents on the phone giving them information about the accident and whatever analytics they use apparently put it in the repairable category. Obviously this is sight unseen so could change but I just want to make sure if it is repairable that it’s done right. The ford hit her at around 50mph and she had almost came to a complete stop prior to impact. I always hear about frames getting bent and aren’t as strong as they were even if the are pulled back into position. I don’t know if it damaged the frame or not but definitely a concern.

I was hoping that some of you experts could chime in by looking at the pics and your thoughts on the damage or possible damage. This car was in pristine condition prior to the accident, only 26k miles on it. I hate being in the position that if it’s repairable that we will have a major accident lingering around always on the history. To me, it doesn’t look like the damage will total the car though. The unfortunate part of getting hit by another driver, not really a way to fully recoup your investment either way. At least he has insurance. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 9574 View attachment 9575 View attachment 9576
Do your darndest to get your Acadia totaled out! Talk with your insurance agent and be adamant about that. Acadias are unibody...so a good chance the frame is compromised. They never drive the same/nor look the same after an accident. You will always be able to tell. Take any lumps you have to but be firm with your intent. I was in a similar situation years ago. A city bus hit my gmc envoy... his fault. My envoy was a few dollars under totaling so they repaired it. Vehicle was never the same. Most importantly, glad to hear your wife is only sore and not hurt!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Agree. . with a crumpled rear end and under body damage it will never be as new and likely have rear alignment issues no matter how much they bend and pull it back into shape.
Plus, strength of the metal will never be the same after the stress.

·
Registered
627 Posts
My ex had a brand new Cherokee we got after we married. Not much later somebody stole it from a mall parking lot. The old term "drive it like you stole it"? Well, it came from us (well, it could have)!!
Suspension damage (enough to flatten one tire), interior (they kicked/wrecked the rear seats), engine ticking later on, and on. Worst part you all know is coming... they fixed it. Should have sued the insurance company. We sold it a year later for peanuts.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts