GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello, new to the forum. Unfortunately not on the best of circumstances. My wife was rear ended by a Ford F-150 on the way home from work last week. Thankfully she is ok, just very sore. I’ve been trying to do some research as we deal with all of this and came across this site. Still waiting on her Acadia to get to the body shop we selected. I don’t know a lot about cars so not sure what to expect as far as repairs. The other guy was at fault and he has State Farm. So far they have been very responsive, got her in a rental etc.

I spoke to one of their agents on the phone giving them information about the accident and whatever analytics they use apparently put it in the repairable category. Obviously this is sight unseen so could change but I just want to make sure if it is repairable that it’s done right. The ford hit her at around 50mph and she had almost came to a complete stop prior to impact. I always hear about frames getting bent and aren’t as strong as they were even if the are pulled back into position. I don’t know if it damaged the frame or not but definitely a concern.

I was hoping that some of you experts could chime in by looking at the pics and your thoughts on the damage or possible damage. This car was in pristine condition prior to the accident, only 26k miles on it. I hate being in the position that if it’s repairable that we will have a major accident lingering around always on the history. To me, it doesn’t look like the damage will total the car though. The unfortunate part of getting hit by another driver, not really a way to fully recoup your investment either way. At least he has insurance. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'd hope it gets written off, but hard to say. Glad your wife is OK

·
Super Moderator
19,649 Posts
It should look good as new with a little buffer work and new backglass. 🤣

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd hope it gets written off, but hard to say. Glad your wife is OK
Yes, me too at this point. Who knows, just waiting on the body shops verdict at this point. Thank you for the kind words, my wife is ok and that’s what’s most important.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow. That sucks. In the first two pics, you can see what looks like a compression wrinkle at the top of the C-pillar. That indicates the unibody is tweaked, and could be a big factor in whether it is ultimately totaled.

Tom

·
Registered
880 Posts
Make sure that they will pay for unseen damage that the body shop finds once they start the repair. State Farm will total a car if the repairs are 75% of the cars value

·
Registered
880 Posts
We were rear ended by a PT Cruiser in our 08 Equinox, original estimate was $4,000 after body shop got into it jumped up to $6,500. Cracked the spare tire wheel well and bent part of the frame. We both had the same insurance company, we were able to get $700 for Diminished Value.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Damn shame, will they replace for you? One good thing is that your wife is OK.
Must say GM makes some safe cars

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, received a call from the body shop today. 30k in damage, it’s totaled.
I must say, that's a good thing! I wouldn't want that back. Fight for what's right in your claim...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Greetings! Glad that your wife is doing OK. I wonder if the Ford driver was texting. Something must have totally distracted the Ford driver. Just by looking at the damage, I feel that you should have the Insurance Company get you a new GMC Acadia. Best of Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, new to the forum. Unfortunately not on the best of circumstances. My wife was rear ended by a Ford F-150 on the way home from work last week. Thankfully she is ok, just very sore. I’ve been trying to do some research as we deal with all of this and came across this site. Still waiting on her Acadia to get to the body shop we selected. I don’t know a lot about cars so not sure what to expect as far as repairs. The other guy was at fault and he has State Farm. So far they have been very responsive, got her in a rental etc.

I spoke to one of their agents on the phone giving them information about the accident and whatever analytics they use apparently put it in the repairable category. Obviously this is sight unseen so could change but I just want to make sure if it is repairable that it’s done right. The ford hit her at around 50mph and she had almost came to a complete stop prior to impact. I always hear about frames getting bent and aren’t as strong as they were even if the are pulled back into position. I don’t know if it damaged the frame or not but definitely a concern.

I was hoping that some of you experts could chime in by looking at the pics and your thoughts on the damage or possible damage. This car was in pristine condition prior to the accident, only 26k miles on it. I hate being in the position that if it’s repairable that we will have a major accident lingering around always on the history. To me, it doesn’t look like the damage will total the car though. The unfortunate part of getting hit by another driver, not really a way to fully recoup your investment either way. At least he has insurance. Thanks in advance.
View attachment 9574 View attachment 9575 View attachment 9576
Had a similar accident, just the right rear corner in my case, rear and side glass OK and re-used, 2 years ago on my 2017. Cost the insurance company over $13,000 not including the loaner car. Yes loaner because it was damaged at the dealership.
As others have mentioned you definitely should claim for diminished value. I asked for $5,000 and settled for $3,000 which was 10% of the book value (high mileage). Best of luck - be firm

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
As others have mentioned you definitely should claim for diminished value. I asked for $5,000 and settled for $3,000 which was 10% of the book value (high mileage). Best of luck - be firm
No diminished value when the vehicle is declared a total loss.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Well, received a call from the body shop today. 30k in damage, it’s totaled.
Wow. . . well, good to hear your wife is ok. Hope no lingering aches, pains or later things that may show up.
As for the Acadia. .. . very much a shame. I see there are still dealers with 2019 Acadia in stock.
Not sure how far you would be willing to travel to get one, but if the insurance pays out a good amount, you might make out with a nice 2019 still out there. COVID put the brakes on a lot of car sales. I just did a search on GMFAMILYFIRST and you can usually find a pretty accurate listing of actual inventory there.
Some of the other websites are not as accurate I've found these days.

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 9574 View attachment 9575 View attachment 9576
Just my "mechanical" opinion, look at the tow hitch which is connected to the frame. The hitch is bent/twisted meaning the rear frame took a shock hit in multiple planes. Frame has serious problems, beware, can be "hit or miss" fixed but no guarantee. Just my thoughts, good luck and your wife ok is great. Acadia is tough and safety is great Dshowme.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts