GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum looking for some answers/solutions. We bought our 2019 GMC Acadia Denali New almost a year ago. It had what i would call the normal "New Car Smell". Like every car we've had before this would fade and the car would have a normal car odor. However we have noticed that the leather or interior of the Denali has a very strong odor to it. It's not a mildew or foul smell but more of a spicy/peppery musk of a smell that has not gone away since we bought the car. If anything, we notice it more and more every day. We have tried buying those natural charcoal odor bags to absorb the smell but nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any experience with this same problem? What did you use to fix?

Any help/insight would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
19,310 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Leather and plastics used in car interiors will give off particular odors for years.

( :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:, @divotdug)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum.
Leather and plastics used in car interiors will give off particular odors for years.

( :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:, @divotdug)
Thanks for the help, is there anything i could do or use to help ease the amount of odor? Any products you would recommend?

·
Super Moderator
19,310 Posts
Thanks for the help, is there anything i could do or use to help ease the amount of odor? Any products you would recommend?
I'm sure something is out there to neutralize the odor. Check the shelves in the auto detail section of Wally World, Targé, or at your favorite parts house. Pick the 'flavor' you want.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Our 2019 Acadia SLT-1 with leather has a very light "new car smell' and not really much leather smell. Will have to keep an eye on it.
One thing you might try is Febreeze. After you return from a drive home and the Acadia will be sitting over night or a few days, leave the engine running and spray 4 or 5 light shots of Febreeze into the upper cowl air intakes just below the outside of the windshield. It may be easier if you open the hood. Have the interior fan set with the air coming out the front facing dash vents and the floor vents. . .. with the fan set at about the upper 3/4 mark.
Keep the windows rolled up except for one rear open just an inch or so.
Spray the 4 or 5 shots of Febreeze maybe 5 seconds apart. Then wait a minute or two, and go back into the the Acadia, shut off the fan and ignition, close up the rear window and let it sit over night.
I also have used the Febreeze along with a shot or two of Ozium and this same method in older cars that just get stale smelling. It's worked pretty well for me.
Also, perhaps some leather cleaner/conditioner on the leather parts of the seats will help. I've used this on the seats and dash in a car we just sold and it removes a lot of odors as well.
Blue Magic Cleaner

·
Super Moderator
19,310 Posts
@dbddlr, find a way to secure an opened box of baking soda in the car if you don't want to just mask what's there. Baking soda works well to effectively remove odors from almost anything.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ozium and even Febreeze remove odors on a molecular level rather than mask like some cheap air fresheners.

·
Super Moderator
19,310 Posts
Ozium and even Febreeze ....
Read the ingredients of things like that carefully. Some of them contain potentially toxic and carcenogenic constituents. That's the primary reason no one makes cars with vinyl in the interiors anymore.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Not really accurate . .. vinyl is still used in many interior parts and even if it wasn't, the urethane foam and sealants used also out-gas "constituents". There are other interior components equally having potential toxic effects.
Believe what you want to believe, but the OP was asking for help about odor elimination.
He can determine which things to use whether suggested or not.
Read the ingredients of things like that carefully. Some of them contain potentially toxic and carcenogenic constituents. That's the primary reason no one makes cars with vinyl in the interiors anymore.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Again .. there are still plenty of other "constituents" that can and do emit unhealthy material into the automotive interiors. Like the "new car" windshield film that forms inside due to out gassing.
And. . again. . . the OP can decide what to use about odor elimination.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It may be worth a try, however, whatever is causing the odor will only be absorbed and not eliminated.
Chemical bonding or ionic exchange with the odor causing molecules has proven to be effective.
It has worked for many.
Here is one unit that combines several functions all in one device. It has the added benefit of being an ion generator which destroys and not just absorbs odor causing molecules.
Just plug it in.
Car Air Purifier and Ionizer

·
Super Moderator
19,310 Posts
Gotta make sure it's turned off when the vehicle's parked. Don't want to 'deionize' the battery. lol

Hope you don't mind as I sit back and watch you pontificate about chemicals and odor neutralization/elimination. I recently ended a near 30 year career which involved remediation of hazardous organic and inorganic chemicals. I found your posts rather amusing.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ours still smells new. Then again . . only 2,400 miles and 4 months old. 😁

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you tried an ozone generator, or leaving the car windows down on warm day?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts