GMC Acadia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been casually looking up and down the East Coast - and NOT for this seating arrangement per-se, but certain trim levels, and I've yet to come across a 2-3-2 seating arrangement (although it supposedly exists). Every single one of them (in the trim levels I've been looking at) is 2-2-2 (2 Captains Chairs in the middle vs. a bench seat).
I have a '17 SLT1 configured 2-3-2. Like you, I could not find a 2-3-2 anywhere in the southwest, so I ordered one. It took about 5 weeks, and there was no price difference. The bench is 60/40 and either or both sections can be folded forward to provide access to the 3rd row with a simple pull on a lever in the seat back. The bench also will slide forward to provide a little extra foot room in the 3rd row.
I disagree with the folks who complain about difficulty of access to the 3rd row.. Granted I only use ours 2 or 3 times a year when my I need to haul more than 4 kids. They have no problem at all manipulating the seats and getting in. I wouldn't recommend it if you are hauling old folks though. I don't think crawling in from the door is any more difficult than squeezing between the two captains chairs.
Bottom line, if you need to seat 7 it does not matter how difficult it may or may not be.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Oh wow! Thank you!

Yeah - I don’t need to seat 7, but I think I’d just like the “filled-in” seating of a bench in the 2nd row that I would have a higher probability of utilizing (as a 5-seater).

So you can pull the lever on either of the 60/40 seat backs to make that portion fold forward, but you cannot move the 60/40 sections independently, correct?

Now that would’ve been the best arrangement (for a 2nd row bench, that is) - especially if pulling the seat back lever also made the seat section slide forward.

And isn’t that how they did it in some of the minivans? I seem to remember that kind of seat action.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Just another data point. On my '18 with 2-2-2 seating, you don't climb between the captain's chairs for access to the rear seat. Though I'm sure you could if you wanted.

The captain's chairs seat back flips forward and the entire seat slides forward for access to the rear seat.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just another data point. On my '18 with 2-2-2 seating, you don't climb between the captain's chairs for access to the rear seat. Though I'm sure you could if you wanted.

The captain's chairs seat back flips forward and the entire seat slides forward for access to the rear seat.
That's the seat "action" I was referring to! Huh! Wonder why they didn't implement that with the bench (?) ... even if they had to leave a sliver of a crack between the two chairs so they'd be able to more easily move independently...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's an Old Data Point - We own a 2008 SLT1 with the 2-3-2 config. The 60/40 sections do slide and fold independently, and, if all seats are adjusted, I can fit my 6'3" frame in any of the rows. The second sunroof keeps the 3rd row from being too claustrophobic. However, the new models have been "improved" and downsized. So, that may no longer be the case.

That said, we had a fairly major to us issue with the 60/40 seating in that the seatbelt latches in the center are rigid and fixed into place. That's fine if you're a skinny kid or don't want/need to mount a carseat in the center position. However, a regular sized adult will find it nearly impossible to sit there due to the seatbelt latches poking them in the back of the hips. Also, few, if any, carseats will fit between them. I know there is some mod out there we could've made, but it just seemed very shortsighted to have that installation from the get go.

We still enjoy the vehicle, but the inability to fold those latches down does limit some of the flexibility and usefulness of the bench seat. Maybe, that was changed in later models, but I'd take a look before I bought one again.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That said, we had a fairly major to us issue with the 60/40 seating in that the seatbelt latches in the center are rigid and fixed into place. That's fine if you're a skinny kid or don't want/need to mount a carseat in the center position. However, a regular sized adult will find it nearly impossible to sit there due to the seatbelt latches poking them in the back of the hips. Also, few, if any, carseats will fit between them. I know there is some mod out there we could've made, but it just seemed very shortsighted to have that installation from the get go.

We still enjoy the vehicle, but the inability to fold those latches down does limit some of the flexibility and usefulness of the bench seat. Maybe, that was changed in later models, but I'd take a look before I bought one again.
It is much the same with the 2019 Acadia when we looked at the middle bench seat on one of two we were actually able to be inside. The center bench seat portion seat area is too narrow for and adult and maybe a skinny child would fit, but we counld net see how comfortable it would be for anyone.
Plus, we could not find an SLT-1 or SLT-2 with that bench seat configuration.
We find the 2-2-2 working fine and kids can walk through to the 3rd row between the center captain's chair seats easy enough so that they don't even have to use the outboard captain chair seat "tilt and slide" feature to get in or out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is much the same with the 2019 Acadia when we looked at the middle bench seat on one of two we were actually able to be inside. The center bench seat portion seat area is too narrow for and adult and maybe a skinny child would fit, but we counld net see how comfortable it would be for anyone.
Plus, we could not find an SLT-1 or SLT-2 with that bench seat configuration.
We find the 2-2-2 working fine and kids can walk through to the 3rd row between the center captain's chair seats easy enough so that they don't even have to use the outboard captain chair seat "tilt and slide" feature to get in or out.
The narrowness of the center position could be ok in ours if the the belt latches were fleixble or would fold down into the seats. I'm not sure if it is a safety requirement or a design choice, but not allowing those to move at all is a significant limitation for all but the smallest passengers.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The narrowness of the center position could be ok in ours if the the belt latches were fleixble or would fold down into the seats. I'm not sure if it is a safety requirement or a design choice, but not allowing those to move at all is a significant limitation for all but the smallest passengers.
I'm guessing it's so that people don't try and squeeze 3 child seats into that middle bench seat. Or just because it's some design limitation, safety, etc.
We had another vehicle like that (minivan? ) can't remember which vehicle . . . . and it also had a center bench seat with the same narrow seat belt latches. Made it next to impossible to even fasten seats belt anyone in that position. I think one of out kids had to sit in the center first, fasten the belt, and then the other two kids had to sit and fasten theirs. Even then, they kind of pinched and poke the center passenger in the hips/butt.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Now that you mention it - back when I was on a multi-year project, we were given rental cars on mini-leases. When it was time for a family trip I would trade our car in for a minivan. Most times these had the center row bench (in a Venture or Caravan). I do remember now the “issue” with the narrow center seat and the inflexible, sticking-out, seat belt receptacles. But - we put one car seat to the left and one to the right, and my petite wife (5-1, 105) was still able to sit in between and feed them. I also remember trying to put three car seats on the one bench and failing! It was close, but just not enough space side-to-side to get them all down square on the chair.

So - that middle bench seat would be an “emergency” seat - much like the two in the 3rd row, but a seat nonetheless. The bench also “fills in” the floor better when you’re using the space for cargo (although I’m sure it could be argued in favor of the Captain’s Chairs, too, to make use of the “hole” in between for storage all the way to the floor). I’d also argue that - as a child’s seat - it’s safer than sitting at the very rear where you’d be more susceptible to injury in a rear collision.

Well - it’s fun to argue these points, but it may all be moot if I just cannot find one I’d want to buy. Laura GMC currently has 9 SLE-2’s, but none have the bench seat.

If I go check out that 2.5L unit with the bench tomorrow, I may find I don’t want the bench after all (LOL!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been casually looking up and down the East Coast - and NOT for this seating arrangement per-se, but certain trim levels, and I've yet to come across a 2-3-2 seating arrangement (although it supposedly exists). Every single one of them (in the trim levels I've been looking at) is 2-2-2 (2 Captains Chairs in the middle vs. a bench seat).

Has anyone run across a 2019 Acadia with the 2-3-2 seating, or is this GMC's version of "BigFoot"?
That's what I have. Ideally I would prefer 2-3 seating with a third seat delete (I have the AWD Denali). In my opinion few people, buying the Denali need a third row..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 2009 SLE in 2011 here in the Midwest. At that time you couldn't find the captain's chairs on the SLE, but I am so glad we hunted one down. The reason is that we have had car seats since then, and it is easy to get to the backseat by walking down the center. However, you can't tilt down the bench with a car seat installed.
Interestingly, the Honda Pilot has the ability to fold down left right or center, and when the center is folded down it makes a nice table for the left and right seats. Another thing is that everyone keeps saying 2-3-2 or 2-2-2, but our third row is a three seater, and comfortably seats three, although we usually put an adult in the middle with two kids on the sides.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I bought a 2009 SLE in 2011 here in the Midwest. At that time you couldn't find the captain's chairs on the SLE, but I am so glad we hunted one down. The reason is that we have had car seats since then, and it is easy to get to the backseat by walking down the center. However, you can't tilt down the bench with a car seat installed.
Good point, but I'm past the car seat thing (although I could be back IN it again with grandchildren, I supposed)

Interestingly, the Honda Pilot has the ability to fold down left right or center, and when the center is folded down it makes a nice table for the left and right seats.
Wish GM would've thought of that ... but then again - the new Acadia is narrower than the 2009 generation, so maybe not enough room for that?

Another thing is that everyone keeps saying 2-3-2 or 2-2-2, but our third row is a three seater, and comfortably seats three, although we usually put an adult in the middle with two kids on the sides.
Yeah - the previous generation Acadia was wider in the back, I guess ... so there was enough room for 3 seats in the 3rd row. It was also around 600 lbs heavier, too...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 17 Denali w/the 2/3/2 seating. Found it pre owned last year and it was equipped exactly as I would have ordered it including color. After I purchased it discovered it had the adjustable suspension (y) which was something I would have probably not ordered due to cost. I have never seen another Acadia on the lot w/the bench seat so it is a rare option. I wanted the ability to carry 7 passengers and although the 3rd row isn't especially roomy the grand kids don't complain. I find access to the 3rd row isn't an issue.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I have a 17 Denali w/the 2/3/2 seating. Found it pre owned last year and it was equipped exactly as I would have ordered it including color. After I purchased it discovered it had the adjustable suspension (y) which was something I would have probably not ordered due to cost. I have never seen another Acadia on the lot w/the bench seat so it is a rare option. I wanted the ability to carry 7 passengers and although the 3rd row isn't especially roomy the grand kids don't complain. I find access to the 3rd row isn't an issue.
Yeah, 2-3-2 seating sure IS rare. I think I'll see a Sasquatch before I see an Acadia with the 2-3-2.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, 2-3-2 seating sure IS rare. I think I'll see a Sasquatch before I see an Acadia with the 2-3-2.
I have only seen two during the shopping for our Acadia. And that was after going to 4 different dealers.
Now I even check on store parking lots when I see a newer Acadia for 2-3-2. So far. . . 0 - 0 .

·
Registered
162 Posts
When I got mine I went to the dealer to specifically look at a 2-3-2 they had in stock. When I got there someone else had already put down a deposit. :mad:

Ended up getting a 2-2-2.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Pretty easy to find here in BC. The biggest problem I had was getting an SLE because "almost everyone in Kelowna" gets the higher trims. Getting a 7 (2-3-2) seater was mandatory. The only other options it had to have were the V6, AWD, and the Dark Sky metallic (would have maybe settled for another color, but not white or gray, which was all there was in town).

41 - 60 of 62 Posts