GMC Acadia Forum banner

2018 without tow package

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  SpartyOn 
#1 ·
Ok, so I originally added a hitch for my bike rack...but at some point I knew I would want to tow so I also installed the 7-way. Now I'm looking to pull a 3500lb travel trailer around the midwest. So...do I add the aux tranny cooler? If so, is it easier / better to add one with a fan? I'm going to use a 7-pin plug-in brake controller. Do I need an update to the engine software for the tow/haul? Any suggestions are appreciated.

#2 ·
Trans coolers that GM supplies with the C1XX platform (2017+ Acadia) towing package are available on any GM parts site.

Reactions: Snyd4362
#4 ·
IOW, warranty only applies to the vehicle as it was built when it left the factory. Whatever you add to your vehicle won't change that warranty status. Warranty is void if a breakdown occurs from exceeding factory towing specs.

#5 ·
Yup. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects against an OEM denying warranty claims due to the installation of an aftermarket part, unless they can prove the part was the cause of the failure.

#8 ·
You will definitely need the transmission cooler.

Speaking from experience, you will be pushing the Acadia to its limits. I recently drove 5 hours from home with a brand new 3200 lb travel trailer. Power wasn’t an issue. Stability was. Wind gusts and larger vehicles pushed us around a lot. Had to stick to 55 in traffic.
If you’re patient to drive slow in the right lane it’s fine, but if you’re expecting to bomb along in the left lane I would reconsider.

You also need to consider your cargo weight. With a 3500 lb trailer GCWR limits are serious issue. See my other post:

Reactions: divotdug
#18 ·
Gotcha. The one I used, which you dislike, was similar to this:

When you said straight thick bars I thought you meant the two bars that sweep rearwards. Anderson doesn’t have those even.

I looked up Equal-izer and see what you mean. it’s like a friction bar system. Does yours groan much during maneuvers?

#19 ·
A little popping/creaking when going slow over big bumps, like the curb into my driveway, but I have the bracket jackets that prevent the bars from sitting metal-on-metal and I keep it lubed per manual instructions. No undo sound when in motion or backing up. Keeping it lubed is key. Plus the jackets are HUGE for quieting it down — they really should be included with the hitch.

Reactions: bxd20
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.