GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GMC Acadia SLT-2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to us 2018 Acadia with the 3.6L LGX. On my other vehicles I have always used an Ez oil drain valve. Since the oil drain plug is weirdly positioned on the bottom of the pan pointed at a downward angle, I am concerned about a valve sticking down further than the factory plug. I have seen other alternatives such as the valvomax, but I don't think it is much shorter.
Anyone have any experience with these engines using a drain valve?

·
Registered
423 Posts
@Medulla_oblongata_77 : you’ve always used an EZ oil drain valve on what vehicles?

You’re driving a larger SUV that’s probably higher off the ground than most vehicles.

How much of a difference are you worrying about (?) ... 1/2” ... ?

Let me ask you this: you’re getting underneath the vehicle to open this valve, so it’s not like you can’t get up and down off the ground. Are you unable to remove the factory plug, or do you just detest that initial surge of oil flowing out?

I guess what I’m getting at is ... if you’re physically able, just wear a rubber glove and remove the factory plug. Slowly get it down to the last thread, then quickly turn it off the last 1/4 turn. You’ll always have maximum clearance, and nobody can ever just reach underneath and dump all your oil on the ground...

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
@Medulla_oblongata_77 : you’ve always used an EZ oil drain valve on what vehicles?

You’re driving a larger SUV that’s probably higher off the ground than most vehicles.

How much of a difference are you worrying about (?) ... 1/2” ... ?

Let me ask you this: you’re getting underneath the vehicle to open this valve, so it’s not like you can’t get up and down off the ground. Are you unable to remove the factory plug, or do you just detest that initial surge of oil flowing out?

I guess what I’m getting at is ... if you’re physically able, just wear a rubber glove and remove the factory plug. Slowly get it down to the last thread, then quickly turn it off the last 1/4 turn. You’ll always have maximum clearance, and nobody can ever just reach underneath and dump all your oil on the ground...
The Acadia (2019 w/3.6L V6) is easiest for oil changes in any vehicle I've had for years. and without jacking it up.
I slide a drain pan on cardboard under it, reach under with a socket to loosen the drain plug, let it drain a bit and align the drain pan also under the oil filter.

Then loosen the oil filter, unscrew it and let it first do the initial drain of oil then remove it with a vinyl gloved hand.

Back on top, I have the fill cap removed and get a funnel and new oil ready for refill while the last of oil drains below.

Install a new pre filled oil filter, install the drain plug, and refill the oil.
Pull the drained oi pan out on the cardboard and dump it into my recycle containers.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood
* Click On Image To Enlarge *

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
2018 GMC Acadia SLT-2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Colt Hero . some larger, some not. Gmc Sierra, yukon and lincoln mkz. All had normal plugs at the back or side of the pan. The ez drain was great for them as they never stuck down below the pan.
My worry with the acadia is that it will stick below the pan and be lowest point.
I detest using a drain plug like a neanderthal. Plus I can go right into a container instead of using a drain pan.

·
Registered
423 Posts
heres a pic. can something hit it ? can something fly up and damage your oil pan ?
View attachment 12172
Maybe the picture is misleading, but that thing looks very large and very low.

And can some kind of road debris go underneath the vehicle, strike that thing, and actually (at least partially) open the valve?

Or what if some prankster kid reaches underneath? Can he just open the valve and let all the oil out?

·
Registered
2018 SLT-2
19 Posts
the reason i bought this one is the screw on cap that covers a detent valve. you unscrew the cap then screw on the hose which has a plunger to depress the valve. On the terrain i had the EZ drain valve but it had no backup if it accidentally opened but that was also very unlikely. Something would have to rip the valve off for it to leak.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
from under the drivers door
View attachment 12173
Agree. . that is about the best for a quick drain and fill. It can't drain without the extra insert and tube it uses. (y)

And, it really doesn't hang too low as shown in your pic.

·
Registered
423 Posts
With that same logic what stops someone from putting something in the fuel tank or letting the air out of the tires?
Yup! They do that, too. And don't forget the "more sophisticated" prank of just scoring the sidewall of the tires with a razor so they blowout later when you're driving down the road at 75 mph.

Locking gas cap probably deters putting something in the fuel tank, BTW. Do any of these "quick drip" valves come with any kind of "key" to release the oil?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts