GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Acadia with less than 18,000 miles. I just had an oil change a week ago and filled up my tank yesterday. Today I go to start my car and there are a ton of messages on my dash. Service theft deterrent system, service parking brake, service stabilitrak, program cluster, battery saver active, service battery charging system, fuel level low. The “park” light is on and the radio won’t come on. I had the hardest time locking the truck and the beep was low and the inside lights were flashing and the windshield wiper blades were slowly moving. I’m going to have it towed tomorrow since it’s Sunday today and everything is closed. Any idea what may be wrong? I’m really worried.

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Hope it's just a battery problem. Unfortunately, some batteries go bad before the warranty has expired. That's what warranties are all about, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have read a TSB article on bcm getting wet from sunroof drain and causing electrical issues. Sounds like all the lights listed systems are controlled by bcm.just food for thought. But I would start with a battery test parts store can check for free.

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts
I also have read a TSB article on bcm getting wet from sunroof drain and causing electrical issues. Sounds like all the lights listed systems are controlled by bcm.just food for thought. But I would start with a battery test parts store can check for free.
If you are aware of such a TSB for the 2nd gen Acadia, please find and post a reference to it. Vehicle in the OP is covered by the new car warranty. It's ill-advised to suggest anybody except an authorized service center check out anything on the vehicle which may be covered by that warranty.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have a 2018 Acadia with less than 18,000 miles. I just had an oil change a week ago and filled up my tank yesterday. Today I go to start my car and there are a ton of messages on my dash. Service theft deterrent system, service parking brake, service stabilitrak, program cluster, battery saver active, service battery charging system, fuel level low. The “park” light is on and the radio won’t come on. I had the hardest time locking the truck and the beep was low and the inside lights were flashing and the windshield wiper blades were slowly moving. I’m going to have it towed tomorrow since it’s Sunday today and everything is closed. Any idea what may be wrong? I’m really worried.

Even though you have a newer Acadia, the battery can be going bad. When a cell or two in a modern battery starts to go, it may even check "OK" when tested.
Also, of driven in short trips and no chance to charge fully, this can stress a battery and cause an early failure. No telling also how long your Acadia may have sat on a car lot before purchase. Often, batteries run low or dead and need replacement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our 2018’s battery gave up at about 22,000 miles. I think there was a bad batch around that time. Just my opinion. Reading about it a little too often on ‘18s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agree on the battery. I went through two dealer batteries that lasted almost exactly 26k miles each before leaving me stranded (both times = jump start). Now on a different battery brand hoping for better results.

One thing I have learned is to listen to the engine when starting - when the batteries are new you hear about 5 cranks before the engine starts. As the battery gets close to failing that number goes down - I now know when it gets to be less to replace the battery.

·
Super Moderator
19,260 Posts
One thing I have learned is to listen to the engine when starting - when the batteries are new you hear about 5 cranks before the engine starts. As the battery gets close to failing that number goes down - I now know when it gets to be less to replace the battery.
Don't you mean it cranks more and harder? That can also happen when the air filter gets too dirty, it's time for a spark plug change, or some other preventive maintenance is needed.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Our 2018’s battery gave up at about 22,000 miles. I think there was a bad batch around that time. Just my opinion. Reading about it a little too often on ‘18s.
Good to know. I also go by how long a vehicle sat on their lot before selling. Our 2019 Acadia was on the lot for just two months, but who knows how many times it may have been started and jockeyed around without proper charging.
Also, these cars today have "smart" charging systems in the interest of saving fuel by not having the alternator charge much if the battery has an "adequate" charge. Several parameters involved in when the ECM/BCM decides the battery needs charging. So if and when it finally does and the run time during short trips and many restarts can run the battery down and leave it in less than ideal condition.
I now have 3 battery maintainers and now with the COVID-19 and being Safer At Home, I am putting the cars on the maintainers since they may not get driven for 2, 3 or more weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let us know for sure what it is thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts