GMC Acadia Forum banner

2018 GMC Acadia Denali advice

10K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  speleos 
#1 ·
I'm considering getting a new 2021 Acadia Denali. I currently have a 2018 Denali. While comparing the stickers of both cars to see what was new, I realized my current car says it has hands-free liftgate. (Right?! 3 years too late!) I went out to try and nothing. I watched some videos to ensure I was doing it right. My button on the driver door is set to full. It is set to open and close in the vehicle section of the settings on the screen. I had the key fob in my hand and I kicked directly under the driver's side bumper, both from straight on, and from standing next to the tire. What am I missing?!?!

Secondly, in doing all this, I realized you cannot open the liftgate with the tochpad if the car is off. Works fine if the engine is on. All other options (fob, button on drivers door) work fine. Could this be related to the hands-free not working?

Thirdly, if I buy my acadia it'll be 30k. If I buy a new acadia, it'll be 50k. Roughly the same payment, just for more years. I can't decide because there weren't many changes (I am excited to get the heads up option back...they removed it on the 18 version). Otherwise, just the warranty and new car excitedness. What would you do?

#10 ·
Neither would be my choice but given your two choices, I would keep the '18 and pickup the GM extended warranty.

I have an '18 SLT, to me Denali trim is just not worth the extra money.
Interesting! I started with a Denali in 15 and just kept it. I'll check out the SLT option and compare. Would you move to a 21 SLT or still keep the 18?
No thoughts on my trunk issue? It seems like it must be a setting since the only time it doesn't work is when the car is off. Do the SLTs have the hands free? Not that it matters, I never knew I had it either, just curious!
The 2020-21 also have the 9 speed transmission which is smoother operating and also push buttons for selecting P-R-N D-L .
Have you taken a 2020 or 2021 for a test drive with the 9 speed?
I haven't driven it yet. I have to go in by the 28th. Nothing like last minute!
On the hands free issue, try sticking you foot under the car from the side midway between the tire and the Bumper. I think they did this so you wouldn't be standing behind it when opening.
I did try this too! I'll ask when I go in. I can't think it would be this difficult if there wasn't an issue. Thanks for trying!

#4 ·
Thank you! I don't really notice that much of a difference in the styling. What don't you care for on the new ones?
I wish they had kept the 15 body but added all the tech when they went to the 17-19. I liked the 15 better for the size, the extra space, and the HUD. In that case, trading up was good because of all the technology. This time, just the newness. Do you always have it serviced at GMC?

#5 ·
The 20, 21 look like an older Suburban front end, just doesn't have as nice styling for me. They are definitely nice, just not as much for my taste.
The size is perfect for my use.
Mine included the first 4 oil changes free. Oil light just went on today for the third. Still under warranty for a while...

#7 ·
The "sweet spot" was changed in 2020. It's now at the left side of the rear bumper.

Reactions: ThirdAcadia
#26 ·
Wonder if the GMC puddle lamp for kick location can be added easily to my 2018 Denali? Need to dig up a parts diagram.... might be plug and play.

#27 ·
I also agree Denali isn’t worth the extra $$$. This was the first purchase where I decided to buy fully loaded and I feel GM cut corners. Usually I go middle of the road. The only thing I totally love is the heated steering wheel and I’m guessing that can be had on lower trim.

Denali SHOULD have included :
  • Lane Centering assist
  • Rain sensing wipers
  • Better resolution cameras
  • Twin clutch rear differential from the AT4 model - I had serious problems in deep snow a few weeks ago and it would have helped
  • Puddle lamps all around

#29 ·
I also agree Denali isn’t worth the extra $$$. ...
GMC is by no means top of the GM lineup. If you wanted all the bells and whistles, you should have considered Cadillac. Even then, you'll be limited with "package" options.

#28 ·
I bought a 2020 Acadia Denali and love it, bought my husband a 2020 Canyon Denali, due to health issues it was very hard for him to get in and out of the Canyon. I traded it yesterday for a 2021 Acadia Denali. He loves the one I have. He wants it, I'll take the new one. Be sure to look at the front headliner. There is an issue at the windshield. Some worse than others. Otherwise it's my perfect vehicle! The hands free tailgate lift is finicky. It took me awhile to get it down. I've found it best not to stand behind it but to the side, and almost touch the left bumper, (not really but close) and sweep all the way across that corner.

#32 ·
Acadia will catch up with that if GMC keeps making them.

#36 ·
GMs Lane Keep Assist (LKA) allows the vehicle to drift until it’s about to go over the line. Then it rapidly turns the steering wheel to keep the car from going over the line. It’s quite abrupt and not smooth.

Most manufacturers have moved on to Lane Centering Assist. The car will not wait til it’s in danger of going over the line. Instead it makes very subtle corrections much sooner keeping the car centered in the lane. It feels much smoother to you, and it doesn’t make the guy behind you wonder if you’ve been drinking.

The most puzzling part of this choice by GM is that our Acadias have all of the hardware needed to do lane centering. They wouldn’t have had to spend any more money, just revise the software parameters of when the car steps in. You can see this because third party Open Pilot has “hacked” the Acadia camera and is using it to drive for miles without any driver steering input on stock hardware.

Every one of my cars have been a GM except for one Ford. Don’t mistake my criticism for hate. I just want to see them return to be innovative leaders in the industry.

Merry Christmas everyone! May God bless and heal our nation.

#37 ·
That just leaves more things to turn off when wanting to DRIVE the vehicle, instead of having the vehicle drive you.

#38 ·
I would trade every tech feature except powertrain improvements and modern comfort features (e.g. power windows) for real wood trim, truly high-class leather seats, and a suspension that soaks up everything but a crater.

They can keep the screens, cameras, lasers, sensors, and advanced software. I'd gladly lose whatever thousands of dollars are going into those items to get a land yacht.

... And I'm 34 and have never not had a computer in my house.

#41 ·
Just purchased an 18 Denali, found that the rear liftgate will open if you kick swiftly at an area behind the left rear tire. There is a hesitation between the kick and the beeps prior to opening or closing. On another issue: Does anyone know how to remove the hitch cover? I don't want to break it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.