GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a new 2021 Acadia Denali. I currently have a 2018 Denali. While comparing the stickers of both cars to see what was new, I realized my current car says it has hands-free liftgate. (Right?! 3 years too late!) I went out to try and nothing. I watched some videos to ensure I was doing it right. My button on the driver door is set to full. It is set to open and close in the vehicle section of the settings on the screen. I had the key fob in my hand and I kicked directly under the driver's side bumper, both from straight on, and from standing next to the tire. What am I missing?!?!

Secondly, in doing all this, I realized you cannot open the liftgate with the tochpad if the car is off. Works fine if the engine is on. All other options (fob, button on drivers door) work fine. Could this be related to the hands-free not working?

Thirdly, if I buy my acadia it'll be 30k. If I buy a new acadia, it'll be 50k. Roughly the same payment, just for more years. I can't decide because there weren't many changes (I am excited to get the heads up option back...they removed it on the 18 version). Otherwise, just the warranty and new car excitedness. What would you do?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Neither would be my choice but given your two choices, I would keep the '18 and pickup the GM extended warranty.

I have an '18 SLT, to me Denali trim is just not worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I'd keep the '18, but I prefer the 17-19 styling by a fairly wide margin. I also don't care for HUD, never used it in my previous daily...
Can't suggest a fix on the tailgate issue, sorry.

Reactions: ThirdAcadia

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd keep the '18, but I prefer the 17-19 styling by a fairly wide margin. I also don't care for HUD, never used it in my previous daily...
Thank you! I don't really notice that much of a difference in the styling. What don't you care for on the new ones?
I wish they had kept the 15 body but added all the tech when they went to the 17-19. I liked the 15 better for the size, the extra space, and the HUD. In that case, trading up was good because of all the technology. This time, just the newness. Do you always have it serviced at GMC?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The 20, 21 look like an older Suburban front end, just doesn't have as nice styling for me. They are definitely nice, just not as much for my taste.
The size is perfect for my use.
Mine included the first 4 oil changes free. Oil light just went on today for the third. Still under warranty for a while...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm considering getting a new 2021 Acadia Denali. I currently have a 2018 Denali. While comparing the stickers of both cars to see what was new, I realized my current car says it has hands-free liftgate. (Right?! 3 years too late!) I went out to try and nothing. I watched some videos to ensure I was doing it right. My button on the driver door is set to full. It is set to open and close in the vehicle section of the settings on the screen. I had the key fob in my hand and I kicked directly under the driver's side bumper, both from straight on, and from standing next to the tire. What am I missing?!?!

Secondly, in doing all this, I realized you cannot open the liftgate with the tochpad if the car is off. Works fine if the engine is on. All other options (fob, button on drivers door) work fine. Could this be related to the hands-free not working?

Thirdly, if I buy my acadia it'll be 30k. If I buy a new acadia, it'll be 50k. Roughly the same payment, just for more years. I can't decide because there weren't many changes (I am excited to get the heads up option back...they removed it on the 18 version). Otherwise, just the warranty and new car excitedness. What would you do?
On the hands free issue, try sticking you foot under the car from the side midway between the tire and the Bumper. I think they did this so you wouldn't be standing behind it when opening.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
On the hands free issue, try sticking you foot under the car from the side midway between the tire and the Bumper. I think they did this so you wouldn't be standing behind it when opening.
The "sweet spot" was changed in 2020. It's now at the left side of the rear bumper.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Thank you! I don't really notice that much of a difference in the styling. What don't you care for on the new ones?
I wish they had kept the 15 body but added all the tech when they went to the 17-19. I liked the 15 better for the size, the extra space, and the HUD. In that case, trading up was good because of all the technology. This time, just the newness. Do you always have it serviced at GMC?
The 2020-21 also have the 9 speed transmission which is smoother operating and also push buttons for selecting P-R-N D-L .
Have you taken a 2020 or 2021 for a test drive with the 9 speed?

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
I didn't like the '13 refresh! The new platform is perfect for what I need. All my GM vehicles were (are) serviced by GM dealer service at least through the warranty period. My Acadia was serviced by GM throughout ownership of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Neither would be my choice but given your two choices, I would keep the '18 and pickup the GM extended warranty.

I have an '18 SLT, to me Denali trim is just not worth the extra money.
Interesting! I started with a Denali in 15 and just kept it. I'll check out the SLT option and compare. Would you move to a 21 SLT or still keep the 18?
No thoughts on my trunk issue? It seems like it must be a setting since the only time it doesn't work is when the car is off. Do the SLTs have the hands free? Not that it matters, I never knew I had it either, just curious!
The 2020-21 also have the 9 speed transmission which is smoother operating and also push buttons for selecting P-R-N D-L .
Have you taken a 2020 or 2021 for a test drive with the 9 speed?
I haven't driven it yet. I have to go in by the 28th. Nothing like last minute!
I did try this too! I'll ask when I go in. I can't think it would be this difficult if there wasn't an issue. Thanks for trying!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Interesting! I started with a Denali in 15 and just kept it. I'll check out the SLT option and compare. Would you move to a 21 SLT or still keep the 18?
No thoughts on my trunk issue? It seems like it must be a setting since the only time it doesn't work is when the car is off. Do the SLTs have the hands free? Not that it matters, I never knew I had it either, just curious!

I haven't driven it yet. I have to go in by the 28th. Nothing like last minute!

I did try this too! I'll ask when I go in. I can't think it would be this difficult if there wasn't an issue. Thanks for trying!
According to the 2021 Acadia Order Guide the Acadia SLT will have the Hands Free Liftgate.
SLE would require the Driver Convenience Package on the window sticker.
You can go here - - > GM Online Order / Reference Guide or see the attached pdf.
and select the proper criteria to see all Standard and Optional features available.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Acadia, SLE, V6 w/trailering package
28 Posts
Our 2020 SLE has the hands free lift gate with a "GMC Logo" puddle light on the drivers side to show you where to swipe your foot. Does not work 100% of the time but most of the time it does.

9 speed transmission on ours is very smooth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our 2020 SLE has the hands free lift gate with a "GMC Logo" puddle light on the drivers side to show you where to swipe your foot. Does not work 100% of the time but most of the time it does.

9 speed transmission on ours is very smooth.
Wow that's a cool feature!

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Between the 2, I would still keep the '18. The lease is up on my '18 in a couple of months and currently I plan to replace it with a Cadillac XT5 or XT4. 95% of the time, I am the only one in the vehicle. Just don't need something the size of the Acadia. 3rd row seats have only been used once.

If you have already checked the knob or the door and the personalization settings, my only advice would be to have the dealer diagnose the problem.

I do not have the hands free on mine but do believe it was an option. Being able t open it from the fob is all I need.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
My owners manual says don't swipe your foot - kick straight up at the sensor. I believe yours does as well. (The Cadillac crest puddle light is uber cool!)

·
Registered
2020 Acadia, SLE, V6 w/trailering package
28 Posts
My owners manual says don't swipe your foot - kick straight up at the sensor. I believe yours does as well. (The Cadillac crest puddle light is uber cool!)
I will have to show my wife your quote on how to do it, this way if it does not work I can blame you :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Between the 2, I would still keep the '18. The lease is up on my '18 in a couple of months and currently I plan to replace it with a Cadillac XT5 or XT4. 95% of the time, I am the only one in the vehicle. Just don't need something the size of the Acadia. 3rd row seats have only been used once.

If you have already checked the knob or the door and the personalization settings, my only advice would be to have the dealer diagnose the problem.

I do not have the hands free on mine but do believe it was an option. Being able t open it from the fob is all I need.
The Cadillacs are beautiful! I'd get an escalade if they were cheaper. Most of the time it's me and my son, so we don't really need it either. But we do have a lot of crap we like to haul around on weekends for hiking, crabbing, etc, so it's nice to have the extra cargo. My 3rd row is nearly always down.

I will ask at the dealer. I don't even see where there would be a senor under there unless it's immediately under the lip of the body. The rest is the muffler?

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
I will ask at the dealer. I don't even see where there would be a senor under there unless it's immediately under the lip of the body. The rest is the muffler?
I'm betting your owners manual shows where the sweet spot is located.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
The Cadillacs are beautiful! I'd get an escalade if they were cheaper. Most of the time it's me and my son, so we don't really need it either. But we do have a lot of crap we like to haul around on weekends for hiking, crabbing, etc, so it's nice to have the extra cargo. My 3rd row is nearly always down.

My 3rd row has only been up the one time I used it.

My son and I did stuff together all the time, Boy Scouts, camping, car shows, target shooting, golf.....but I turned around one day and he was all grown up, living his own life....we still get to hang out but life does get in the way.

Enjoy the time with your son, it goes by pretty fast.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
My 3rd row has only been up the one time I used it.
My dogs loved the 3rd row. I had 4 dogs at one time. Two would ride in the rear, two in the captains chairs, with my partner and me up front. I can't remember if any people ever used the 3rd row seats. I'm dogless and partnerless now. Still think the smaller crossovers (XT4, etc.) are a bit too cramped. If I want small inside, I drive the Matrix.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts