GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
... Hi "spelos" I've always been a patient person and this encounter worked for me. ...
Glad it worked out for you. That type of behavior is really disruptive to work flow in a shop, though. You'd understand if you ever managed the job queue at a dealership's service center like I have.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Day two, GMC advised my dealer specific items to check. Was determined to be a bad "Body Control Module." Also a little FYI, was advised that the liquid battery that came with my car only last a couple of years and was replaced with a new dry battery.. :)
(y)Good to hear they got to the problem. Still a pretty rare thing for a BCM in a new vehicle to fail so soon.
Also, I'm assuming the battery they are putting in is an AGM battery. I was under the impression many new vehicles are being shipped with AGM batteries. AGM batteries are still technically, "wet", but the electrolyte is contained, or "absorbed" in glass mats. Therefore the AGM designation for "Absorbed Glass Mat".

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Your service adviser may be misinformed according to this article: AGM vs Flooded Batteries - What You Need to Know
Thanks for the info: but at my age it's all Greek to me. Still under warranty, it's fixed I'm happy. I went into a restaurant last month to buy a take out dinner. The guy points to a menu, I looked. Told him I don't want an entrée I wanted a dinner. I don't get out that much. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
... Still under warranty, it's fixed I'm happy. I went into a restaurant last month to buy a take out dinner. The guy points to a menu, I looked. Told him I don't want an entrée I wanted a dinner. I don't get out that much. :)
That's the thing which matters most. (y) BTW, I have 3 back-to-back-to-back 50-year anniversaries that started last year. First is membership in an organization (from where my name is derived), second is high school graduation, and third is enlistment. Retired as well, but I'm neither a luddite, nor language-challenged. ?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Day two, GMC advised my dealer specific items to check. Was determined to be a bad "Body Control Module." Also a little FYI, was advised that the liquid battery that came with my car only last a couple of years and was replaced with a new dry battery. Hi "spelos" I've always been a patient person and this encounter worked for me. Thanks everyone for your input, hope my problem can help anyone else that may have the same problem. :)
What is a "liquid battery" vs a "dry battery?"

Never heard this terminology. Generally (at least historically) new car batteries were the same as any other battery and would be good for about 4 years or longer. I always used 4 years as my change point. Of course, any battery could always fail sooner.

george

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That's the thing which matters most. (y) BTW, I have 3 back-to-back-to-back 50-year anniversaries that started last year. First is membership in an organization (from where my name is derived), second is high school graduation, and third is enlistment. Retired as well, but I'm neither a luddite, nor language-challenged. ?
'WOW, you are a youngster. I attended my 65th high school reunion last year. It has even been 60 years since I joined the Air Force and 38 years since I retired from the AF.

George

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
... Of course, any battery could always fail sooner.
They can also last longer than many anticipate. I haven't had to change a battery in the last few new vehicles I purchased:
1980 Datsun - traded in 1991
1991 Buick - killed in 1999
1995 Lumina APV - purchased by company for use as a field vehicle, burned in 2006
1999 Buick - traded for Acadia
The only reason I had the Acadia battery changed is because it started showing a weak cell after 9 years of periodic testing. A battery test along with preventive maintenance will help with the decision, instead of just throwing your $$ away on something which isn't really necessary to do. Some people call it conservation of natural resources and waste reduction. ;)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
What is a "liquid battery" vs a "dry battery?"

Never heard this terminology. Generally (at least historically) new car batteries were the same as any other battery and would be good for about 4 years or longer. I always used 4 years as my change point. Of course, any battery could always fail sooner.

george
I think they got the battery terminology incorrect. Likely, they meant an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery as opposed to a classic lead/acid battery with the lead plates in a reservoir of liquid acid electrolyte in each battery cell.
People get confused and an AGM battery is still a "wet" lead/acid battery with the acid contained in fibrous glass mats between the lead plates in each cell.
The so called "dry" aspect is that there is no sloshing around of acid in the cells since it is contained in the glass mats and no water or additional electrolyte acid has to be added for maintenance.
AGM batteries and even traditional batteries in the past 10 years or so do not seem to last as long as batteries of past year. The plates are thinner and size is reduced to save weight.
I too will replace a battery every 4 to 5 years. Right now, because of being "Safe At Home" I have our vehicles on battery maintainers since they sit for a week or more till we might need to go get groceries and such.
BTW. . Air Force vet here also, but only 4 years service as an electronics crypto tech. Went in in '69 and honorable in '73.
Retired in 2008 just as the bank derivatives and economy all hit the fan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Day two, GMC advised my dealer specific items to check. Was determined to be a bad "Body Control Module." Also a little FYI, was advised that the liquid battery that came with my car only last a couple of years and was replaced with a new dry battery. Hi "spelos" I've always been a patient person and this encounter worked for me. Thanks everyone for your input, hope my problem can help anyone else that may have the same problem. :)
Thanks for your post. I have a 2017 Acadia sitting in my driveway with 36K miles and it would not start 4 days ago. I was just furloughed last week due to COVID and am watching every penny especially now that I am just past my 35K or 3 year warranty. I noticed last week that the car was a little hesitant a few times with acceleration and so I'm wondering if I might also have a bad BCM and battery.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Thanks for your post. I have a 2017 Acadia sitting in my driveway with 36K miles and it would not start 4 days ago. I was just furloughed last week due to COVID and am watching every penny especially now that I am just past my 35K or 3 year warranty. I noticed last week that the car was a little hesitant a few times with acceleration and so I'm wondering if I might also have a bad BCM and battery.
Did it jump start OK? May be time for a new battery. Failed BCM's are a little more unusual.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only reason I had the Acadia battery changed is because it started showing a weak cell after 9 years of periodic testing. A battery test along with preventive maintenance will help with the decision, instead of just throwing your $$ away on something which isn't really necessary to do. Some people call it conservation of natural resources and waste reduction. ;)
I remember the battery in our 1989 Regal lasted 11 years. Died in summer heat, not negative temps in winter.

Of course back then cars had less gizmos draining a battery even when “off” than they do nowadays.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts