GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery is OK, try to start and everything works fine. Dash self check, green light indicates engine is running however engine in not running. When trying to start I can hear a humming sound from engine. I can use info screen to operate everything while green start light is on. It will be towed to dealer Monday just wondering if anyone else had this problem and what the problem was. Thanks for any input. :)

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
Interesting! Do you hear the starter try to engage at all? It should be a very distinctive sound when the bendix gear hits the flex plate.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Don't remember every hearing those kind of symptoms for any car. :unsure:
Yes . . . and the dash light indicate it is running plus all other lights are normal he says.
Wondering if disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few hours might reset the electronics and resolve it. OTOH .. since in warranty, let the dealer figure it out.
Hope they don't come back and tell him NTF.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you tell what type of humming it is?... Electrical or mechanical?... Maybe a fuel pump?... or starter motor?

Just flipping ideas out here.
It sounds electrical. I just tried my Noco Boost jumper, didn't work I'm having it towed to dealer Monday. Thanks guys for your input. :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
It sounds electrical. I just tried my Noco Boost jumper, didn't work I'm having it towed to dealer Monday. Thanks guys for your input. :)
Good idea. . . . since it's a 2018, imagine it is still under warranty.
Will be interesting to hear what is the cause of this.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes . . . and the dash light indicate it is running plus all other lights are normal he says.
Wondering if disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few hours might reset the electronics and resolve it.
I would definitely try that. Can’t hurt. If it works, you’ve avoided a trip to the dealer (always a good thing), and if it doesn’t you can at least tell the Tech you’ve already done that ... overnight even!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day one (Monday) at dealer, waited 5 hours, they don't know what the problem is and are trying to figure it out, will contact GMC for help. Got loaner Acadia and went home to wait for call. :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well .. . . if you are in one of the "stay at home" locations, at least they have your Acadia now and can check it out. With all the electronics in our vehicles today, no telling where the problem is.
But with their diagnostic and technical aids, hopefully they will get it soon resolved.

·
Super Moderator
19,534 Posts
Day one (Monday) at dealer, waited 5 hours, they don't know what the problem is and are trying to figure it out, will contact GMC for help. Got loaner Acadia and went home to wait for call. :)
Frankly, I wouldn't have waited if my vehicle was towed to the dealership. I'd hit up service for 'courtesy transportation' right off, let them know what was observed with the problem, and then headed on down the road in their loaner or courtesy transport. "C'ya later. Let me know when it's fixed." It's not like waiting for an oil change, or other service for which time can be gauged.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Day two, GMC advised my dealer specific items to check. Was determined to be a bad "Body Control Module." Also a little FYI, was advised that the liquid battery that came with my car only last a couple of years and was replaced with a new dry battery. Hi "spelos" I've always been a patient person and this encounter worked for me. Thanks everyone for your input, hope my problem can help anyone else that may have the same problem. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well .. . . if you are in one of the "stay at home" locations, at least they have your Acadia now and can check it out. With all the electronics in our vehicles today, no telling where the problem is.
But with their diagnostic and technical aids, hopefully they will get it soon resolved.
I've been retired for over 20 years and I'm always in a "stay at home mold" and yes I live in CA. :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've been retired for over 20 years and I'm always in a "stay at home mold" and yes I live in CA. :)
Retired here also for going on 12 years now. So stay at home a lot but still like to get out and about with some activities. Were were to take a Spring road trip but chose to cancel a month ago now.
It would have been great too with gasoline (87) down to $1.19/gal or less here and many areas.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts