GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Acadia I bought that had a 4 pin wiring harness an a after market hitch. I had a 7 pin and prodigy brake controller installed at a trailer shop and they said everything on there end is fine but are missing the brake signal from the pedal. Was told that was a dealer issue. what do I have to do to finish this last hook up. Dealer said it cant be done. Help

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
I have a 2018 Acadia I bought that had a 4 pin wiring harness an a after market hitch. I had a 7 pin and prodigy brake controller installed at a trailer shop and they said everything on there end is fine but are missing the brake signal from the pedal. Was told that was a dealer issue. what do I have to do to finish this last hook up. Dealer said it cant be done. Help
A factory tow package also includes blunt cut wires for hooking up the brake controller to the braking system. Those are probably not in your vehicle. You'd find them behind the center console cover above the accelerator pedal if the vehicle had a tow package.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
They can't install a trailer package? That won't fix the problem? If you're planning on towing anything heavy, you should opt for a full towing package I would think...

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
They can't install a trailer package? ...
Installing that in the Lambda platform involved changing the underhood fuse box where the trailer fuses are located. The C1XX platform has trailer-associated fuses also in the rear fuse box. Wonder if something back there needs to be changed, too? AFAIK, no one has done a full trailering package conversion on the new platform. There is some discussion in another thread about adding the tow/haul switch to it.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installing that in the Lambda platform involved changing the underhood fuse box where the trailer fuses are located. The C1XX platform has trailer-associated fuses also in the rear fuse box. Wonder if something back there needs to be changed, too? AFAIK, no one has done a full trailering package conversion on the new platform. There is some discussion in another thread about adding the tow/haul switch to it.
My manual says that a blue wire needs to be hooked up that is under the front fuse box and should be done by a dealer. Also thn said you might have to reprogram the computer which Im not sure about

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
we are towing a 2700lbs pop-up that needs to have the brakes
+1. Start with the right tool for the job.
If your Acadia was built without the trailering package, its max weight for towing is exceeded with that trailer. Warranty won't cover any breakdown caused from towing something which exceeds original factory specs, regardless of what modifications are done to add additional towing weight capability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should be ok to tow up to 4000lbs with my engine size I just need info on how to get brake signal to brake controller

·
Registered
258 Posts
I should be ok to tow up to 4000lbs with my engine size I just need info on how to get brake signal to brake controller
It's not engine size that really matters— it's cooling, braking power, transmission towing profiles, etc. Just adding a brake controller doesn't increase your towing capacity. I'd assume there is additional equipment like there was on the Lambda Acadia (HD radiator, extra fuses, tow/haul mode, etc.).

Temperature is probably the biggest issue, all else being equal. It's why the Silverado 2.7L turbo 4 got like a 2,000+ lbs tow capacity increase last year. Same engine, same truck, same setups, but the engineers found out there was more cooling than anticipated.

You don't want to be running your fluids at high temps all the time.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
The C1XX Acadia trailering package also includes an auxiliary transmission cooler. The platform with a V-6 is already equipped with a radiator which has sufficient engine cooling capability.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
I should be ok to tow up to 4000lbs with my engine size ...
Maybe you will. I just gave you fair warning about what to expect in the event your vehicle breaks down while towing something which exceeds 'as built' factory specs for your vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
were can I find out what my car can safely tow . will the vin number contain that info. when I bought the car I asked the dealer and he said 4000 but now I dont know

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks everyone for your input. I called the dealer to confirm what exactly is my towing capacity is and it was confirmed that its only good for up to 1000lbs. I was miss led by the dealer in thinking it was good for 4000lbs. buyer beware

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
were can I find out what my car can safely tow . will the vin number contain that info. when I bought the car I asked the dealer and he said 4000 but now I dont know
Look in the owners manual for the model year of your vehicle. It will state max towing weights w/ and w/o trailering package for all engine options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks everyone for your input. I called the dealer to confirm what exactly is my towing capacity is and it was confirmed that its only good for up to 1000lbs. I was miss led by the dealer in thinking it was good for 4000lbs. buyer beware
Sadly, a very common dealer issue. The salesmen either don't know or care what the actual specs for any one particular vehicle really are but will tell the customer whatever they want to hear to make a sale. When we bought our 2010 - granted it was used - we made it clear that since we tow a trailer it must have a towing capacity of 5000lbs minimum. The salesman assured us it did. Actually showed us a spec sheet he pulled up from the internet. Not until months later did we find out that was only if the vehicle was equipped with the towing package. Ours was not so equipped. Oh too bad, so sad from the dealer. It took a while but I was able to do the towing upgrades - trans cooler, fuseblock, tow switch, etc. thanks to info from this forum. Lesson learned - if you have special requirements and the dealer says the vehicle has them, get it in writing.

·
Super Moderator
21,534 Posts
... Lesson learned - if you have special requirements and the dealer says the vehicle has them, get it in writing.
It's always possible to get the factory build sheet for any vehicle of interest. The build sheet will have that info. It just won't show any aftermarket or dealer-installed mods.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's always possible to get the factory build sheet for any vehicle of interest. The build sheet will have that info. It just won't show any aftermarket or dealer-installed mods.
Entirely true, just something I didn't think to do at the time and just mistakenly relied on the salesman to give me the proper information.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts