GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From day one I got the sound from the blower selection, I expect it when it's on a higher settings. However I hear the blower when it's at the lowest setting. I figured it was a design problem, you should not hear any sound when turned to low. 2018 Denali. :(
I don’t hear my blower motor. If you hear it, especially at lower speeds, your dealer should be willing to swap it under warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2018 Acadia that also is suffering from the "Howling / Whistling" symptoms. It only occurs when the AC is on. The noise radiates from the left side of the passenger dashboard area. The noise starts after about 10 minutes of driving and then fluctuates in volume and gets loud enough to be heard over the radio. The compressor was replaced with no change in noise. It's now back at a dealer for the third time (second dealer) with hopes they can find a remedy. They gave me a 2020 loaner that does not exhibit the problem. Has anyone had the problem fixed and if so what wast the repair.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a 2018 Acadia that also is suffering from the "Howling / Whistling" symptoms. It only occurs when the AC is on. The noise radiates from the left side of the passenger dashboard area. The noise starts after about 10 minutes of driving and then fluctuates in volume and gets loud enough to be heard over the radio. The compressor was replaced with no change in noise. It's now back at a dealer for the third time (second dealer) with hopes they can find a remedy. They gave me a 2020 loaner that does not exhibit the problem. Has anyone had the problem fixed and if so what wast the repair.
Pete-
Thanks for updating us on your situation. I wonder if the compressor has been redesigned for 2020. If there was a redesign, I also wonder if the replacement compressor you received was old stock, or the new part number? Does your work order show a part number for the compressor you received?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The work order is in the vehicle which is still at the dealership. BTW, the service tech drove with me in the passenger seat for about 15 minutes before he was able to hear the noise. He looked up GMC's data on the Acadia and couldn't find any service bulletins related to the issue. I told them to keep it until they fixed the problem. They are trying to identify if it is a design issue or a repairable problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The work order is in the vehicle which is still at the dealership. BTW, the service tech drove with me in the passenger seat for about 15 minutes before he was able to hear the noise. He looked up GMC's data on the Acadia and couldn't find any service bulletins related to the issue. I told them to keep it until they fixed the problem. They are trying to identify if it is a design issue or a repairable problem.
Did you ever get the problem solved?? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
After 2 weeks at the dealership I picked it up last Wed. They had replaced just about the entire AC system including pulling the dash to replace the condensor. Due to ther waether I was n't able to determine if the problem was fixed. Went out on Thursday only to discover the reason the "howling" had stopped was because the AC wasn't functioninhg at all. It's back at the dealership and they are chasing a coolant leak They appear dedicated to solving the problem. Thankfully it's Certified and all covered under warranty. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After 2 weeks at the dealership I picked it up last Wed. They had replaced just about the entire AC system including pulling the dash to replace the condensor. Due to ther waether I was n't able to determine if the problem was fixed. Went out on Thursday only to discover the reason the "howling" had stopped was because the AC wasn't functioninhg at all. It's back at the dealership and they are chasing a coolant leak They appear dedicated to solving the problem. Thankfully it's Certified and all covered under warranty. I'll keep you posted.
Sounds good! So sorry about that.. terrible. Definitely let us know. I still have about 15000 miles left on the manufacturer’s warranty. Hopefully they figure it out!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alls well that ends well. You have to respect a service department that has a can do attitude. Koons GMC & Chevrolet in Clarksville MD, 410-988-9522 is just such a place. There wasn't a GM Service Bulletin addressing the "Howling" problem. After a lot of trial and error that involved replacing almost all of the AC components to no avail, they pulled the dash and replaced the evaporator. That did it: No more howl!!! I picked my Acadia up today and it ran perfectly. I cannot overstate how impressed I am with the tenacity the demonstrated in fixing this problem, particularly in light of the fact that I did not buy the Acadia from them. And yes, it was all covered under Warranty! I told them I was going to post this information and that they should expect calls from your local service departments about this problem & fix. I will be updateing them in a month to confirm the longevity of the fix.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PS: The coolant leak was due to a new hose that had been installed that had a hairline crack. It had nothing to do with the "Howl".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alls well that ends well. You have to respect a service department that has a can do attitude. Koons GMC & Chevrolet in Clarksville MD, 410-988-9522 is just such a place. There wasn't a GM Service Bulletin addressing the "Howling" problem. After a lot of trial and error that involved replacing almost all of the AC components to no avail, they pulled the dash and replaced the evaporator. That did it: No more howl!!! I picked my Acadia up today and it ran perfectly. I cannot overstate how impressed I am with the tenacity the demonstrated in fixing this problem, particularly in light of the fact that I did not buy the Acadia from them. And yes, it was all covered under Warranty! I told them I was going to post this information and that they should expect calls from your local service departments about this problem & fix. I will be updateing them in a month to confirm the longevity of the fix.
Just called my local GMC dealer! Have an appointment next week to get a new evaporator installed! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello.

We picked up a brand new 2018 Acadia Denali AWD with twin moonroofs and Technology Package. Less than 200 miles on the car currently.

Temps have been in the 40s here and I am using Auto for climate. Once the car has warmed up, at lower speeds, there is a noticeable howling sound coming from the AC compressor. Changing the fan speed manually does not affect the sound, but as soon as you push the AC button to turn off the compressor, it goes away. It also doesn't seem to do it during the first 10 minutes of any cold start drive, which is why I didn't notice during our test drive. I'm not sure if that's a hint that there is a pressure problem in the system.

The howling really messes up an otherwise serene quiet cabin. The sound reminds me of a semi tractor trailer applying its brakes, kind of a "hooooo" sound. Quieter of course. This is not the "pssssh" sound the AC will make on first engagement.

Before someone says "just take it in", yes, that is what I will have to do. I would simply prefer to walk in there with some idea of whether I'm facing a common complaint on 2017+ models? Perhaps there is a TSB which would be ideal? I hope the dealer is not going to give me a hard time or even tell me it's normal. After personally driving 14 GM cars over the years, I assure you it's not normal.

Thank you!
Brian
After a lot of hard diagnostic work my new dealership was finally able to find and fix the howling problem. Check my posts towards the end of this thread. Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did your dealer fix the howling problem?
unfortunately no.. they had it for over a week, said they called gmc, and they have nothing saying the evaporator would fix the problem so they wouldn’t do it even though the Acadia is still under warranty. Might try another local GMC dealer to see if I have any better luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd recommend that you get in direct touch with your GMC Regional Service Mgr., and have him contact Keith Williams, Svc. Mgr. at Koons in Clarksville, MD, 443-535-8252. It was their service dept. that found the problem and was able to fix it under GMC's Warranty. Your svc. dept. is correct that there is no service bulletin for this problem, but that does not mean it's a normal aspect of the Acadia's. Neither my 2019 rental from budget nor my 2020 Acadia loaner had the problem. The regional Service Mgr. should be able to get the dealership to work on the problem under warranty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
unfortunately no.. they had it for over a week, said they called gmc, and they have nothing saying the evaporator would fix the problem so they wouldn’t do it even though the Acadia is still under warranty. Might try another local GMC dealer to see if I have any better luck!
Tstclair, Did you ever get your issue resolved? I have a 2020 with the same issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I’m still stuck with this problem myself. Unfortunately leaning on the regional GM rep to talk to Koons, isn’t going to help in my case, as he already did me a “favor” on my previous Acadia which was a lemon. After much arguing he finally bought it back. So I’m going to have to hope a TSB gets issued or my evaporator totally dies.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m still stuck with this problem myself. Unfortunately leaning on the regional GM rep to talk to Koons, isn’t going to help in my case, as he already did me a “favor” on my previous Acadia which was a lemon. After much arguing he finally bought it back. So I’m going to have to hope a TSB gets issued or my evaporator totally dies.
I have found that if you hit the AC off button it will instantly kill the noise then turn it back on and sometimes it does not seem to come back for my whole drive cycle. At least it is very cold AC compared to some of the other stuff I have been in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If your Regional Svc.. guy won't call Koons then I'd recommend going up the ladder to the national level. BTW, the fact that your regional person bought back a "lemon" isn't a "favor" it's his job since most areas have "Lemon Laws". There is a national customer service group. Just ask for a US representative when you call in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Oh I totally agree with you on the buyback. Unfortunately my wife and I were treated very poorly by this individual. I’ve solely purchased GM vehicles except for one Ford in 1999. My dad was 100% a Buick man. My uncle bought 75% GMs in his life. Dozens of GM cars in our family.

None of this loyalty meant anything to this individual. We were yelled at and scolded like kids. The process took a couple months.

We stood our ground and won but the whole ordeal soured me towards GM. I have 4 GM cars right now in my garage but I’m not sure what my next will be after how we were treated.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts