GMC Acadia Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wave plate problems weren't much of an issue in later years of the Lambda-platform Acadia. In fact, posts about wave plate failures are almost non-existent for the 6T75 transmission built after 2013.
Call me non-existent...2016 Acadia smoked the wave plate at 25000 miles in 2018. Like most things...luck of the draw.

To the OP - keep up on your fluids and maintenance, use it with common sense and within the guidelines of the owner's manual, and you'll get many trouble free miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Call me non-existent...2016 Acadia smoked the wave plate at 25000 miles in 2018. Like most things...luck of the draw.

To the OP - keep up on your fluids and maintenance, use it with common sense and within the guidelines of the owner's manual, and you'll get many trouble free miles.
Yeah, I knew the wave plate issues weren't totally miraculously fixed. Just a crappy design waiting to fail - it's just better than it used to be for the majority. Thanks for the info and recommendations. I try not to push the vehicles I want to last for the long haul.

·
Registered
320 Posts
At least you were under powertrain warranty still, so I assume that you weren't out of pocket for anything?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Curious... did you do anything out of the norm re driving? Drive it hard, tow anything, live in a very hilly area...?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah - covered 100% under warranty including the rental. Took about 3 weeks for the repair. We wound up trading it in and getting a 2019 cause the '16 was a gas hog. My wife still wishes we kept it...but the 19' is so much better on fuel - and I like driving it better too.

Reactions: SpartyOn

·
Registered
14 Posts
Curious... did you do anything out of the norm re driving? Drive it hard, tow anything, live in a very hilly area...?
Nope - didn't even have a hitch and we live in Central NJ...no hills. Just bad luck I suppose. Warranty took care of it 100% without a single hassle.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
320 Posts
FYI for the OP and others, GM did not sit on its hands with the 6T75. A number of revisions were made throughout its run, making it a much better unit. That's probably why the complaints on this forum and other sources drop off precipitously post-2012. I'm not saying there are no issues — these are mechanical objects largely built by human beings — but GM did the right thing in going back to the drawing board and figuring out the flaws (unlike the 8-speed, which I'm pretty sure they realized was an all-around turd that largely needed to be written off).

This is just one article that points out a number of the 6T75's improvements. You'll notice there are a lot more solenoids for controlling clutch pressure in the updated versions. So definitely less stress on those wave plates.

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
My '07 Acadia's transmission never had any problems in the 135K+ miles of ownership. It was reprogrammed twice under GM's customer satisfaction program, but that's it. I never 'babied' the vehicle, either. Don't know what will happen for the next owner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My '07 Acadia's transmission never had any problems in the 135K+ miles of ownership. It was reprogrammed twice under GM's customer satisfaction program, but that's it. I never 'babied' the vehicle, either. Don't know what will happen for the next owner.
I believe it...it's always mostly luck of the draw. We all know 2 types of car owners: 1 who does the bare minimum of maintenance (or less) and never has a problem and 1 who is nearing the point of ridiculous with maintenance including spreadsheets and always has a mechanical problem.

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
I believe it...it's always mostly luck of the draw. We all know 2 types of car owners: 1 who does the bare minimum of maintenance (or less) and never has a problem and 1 who is nearing the point of ridiculous with maintenance including spreadsheets and always has a mechanical problem.
There is a third type of owner that falls between those two.

Reactions: 442dude

·
Registered
462 Posts
There is a third type of owner that falls between those two.
That would be me. Do what the manual says when it says to do it - versus what I'd prefer to do from a cost and convenience perspective (absolutely nothing) versus what the dealer recommends (twice as much as is necessary twice as often as is necessary).

It's worked for me for many years and I've had a number of vehicles go well over 100K miles - not counting a few 'toys' that got misused and abused just for fun. :)(y)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,
This is my first post - thanks in advance. We just picked up a 2017 Limited (gen 1) Acadia with 26K miles (they didn't drive it much) from my in-laws. It's immaculate, was driven as you'd expect with this many miles for the age, and maintained meticulously.

For this final release of the gen 1 Acadia engine, do you still need to mod the PCV or add a catch can? Also, I'd seen a video where that rear valve cover gasket was updated - is it updated on this engine?

I'm well aware of watching the oil level and changing often. Also aware of the wave plate trans issues over the years. Is there anything you can really do to be proactive about maintaining the longevity of this trans? We've got the tow package with the cooler, too.

Thanks!
Tim

I'll post a welcome post on Wed after the fronts get tinted on Tues. :)
I am not going to comment on the towing capability of the Acadia since I have not, nor do I ever, plan on towing with it. I have a 2004 Yukon for that if need be.

What I will comment on is the fluid changes. AC Delco Dexron VI is cheap on RockAuto, $4.xx a quart. You can order a case and do two drain and fills on your Acadia. The rear differential and transfer case, if you have AWD, take the same fluid and not much of it. I used Valvoline Synthetic in mine and bought it cheap at Walmart. So do yourself a favor and change the trans, transfer case and rear diff regardless of your mileage. The rear diff fluid was as nasty as described and I am glad I changed it much sooner than the manual recommends. Our 2016 Acadia Denali is just shy of 60k miles and runs great. The fluids are easy to change and for the few bucks you will spend and the couple hours of time you will take, I can't think of any reason not do it. If you plan to tow with yours, then increased trans fluid maintenance should be a must for you.

As far as the catch can and PCV, I replaced the air filter within the last year and the intake tract was completely dry of oil. I have changed the filter on my 2014 Impala and found the intake tube drenched in oil. I have not done a catch can on it nor do I plan on it. It has 155k miles on it and runs great. I will leave this at do what you feel like on it.

Reactions: tekman78
21 - 33 of 33 Posts