GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
This is my first post - thanks in advance. We just picked up a 2017 Limited (gen 1) Acadia with 26K miles (they didn't drive it much) from my in-laws. It's immaculate, was driven as you'd expect with this many miles for the age, and maintained meticulously.

For this final release of the gen 1 Acadia engine, do you still need to mod the PCV or add a catch can? Also, I'd seen a video where that rear valve cover gasket was updated - is it updated on this engine?

I'm well aware of watching the oil level and changing often. Also aware of the wave plate trans issues over the years. Is there anything you can really do to be proactive about maintaining the longevity of this trans? We've got the tow package with the cooler, too.

Thanks!
Tim

I'll post a welcome post on Wed after the fronts get tinted on Tues. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
Congrats for the 'new' Acadia and welcome to the forum.

The Limited's engine is as up to date as the LLT variant would have ever been. Installing a catch can on the PCV system isn't a necessity. Folks usually consider doing that if they see oil residue in the air intake. TBH, it's strictly a personal choice if you install one.

Doing a drain-and-fill of the transmission fluid more often than recommended in the owners manual may help prolong the transmission's life. Wave plate problems weren't much of an issue in later years of the Lambda-platform Acadia. In fact, posts about wave plate failures are almost non-existent for the 6T75 transmission built after 2013.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow the maintenance schedule and don't use it as a tow vehicle.
Like, don't tow with it ever? Don't tow in excess of a certain weight? Don't tow regularly? We don't plan to tow a lot, but I would like to tow a larger pop up camper maybe a couple of times a summer and try a long road trip out west with it one summer in the future. No a flat out no no, or just make sure to do Z, Y, Z if/when I do tow? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
Like, don't tow with it ever? Don't tow in excess of a certain weight? Don't tow regularly? We don't plan to tow a lot, but I would like to tow a larger pop up camper maybe a couple of times a summer and try a long road trip out west with it one summer in the future. No a flat out no no, or just make sure to do Z, Y, Z if/when I do tow? Thanks.
That is all up to you. The owners manual has guidance for those who want to tow anything with their Acadia.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is all up to you. The owners manual has guidance for those who want to tow anything with their Acadia.
Thanks. I'll definitely follow and not exceed the manual's specs. I was just looking for some real world advice from those here who seem to be 100% ANTI-TOWING with the Acadia. It can't be that cut and dry, and a vehicle this size and is designed/designated as a "truck" should be able to tow safely at some frequency. I think my expected use, knowing I've got the tow package to keep me cooler, knowing I won't abuse/exceed the recommendations, won't tow often, will watch my temps and fluid levels/quality, I can keep this thing safe enough. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Thanks. I'll definitely follow and not exceed the manual's specs. I was just looking for some real world advice from those here who seem to be 100% ANTI-TOWING with the Acadia. It can't be that cut and dry, and a vehicle this size and is designed/designated as a "truck" should be able to tow safely at some frequency. I think my expected use, knowing I've got the tow package to keep me cooler, knowing I won't abuse/exceed the recommendations, won't tow often, will watch my temps and fluid levels/quality, I can keep this thing safe enough. Appreciate the advice.
Here's my paranoia... You're driving along with your family and the tranny temp starts climbing to an uncomfortable temp, do you pull over and stop for 10-15 minutes, then start again? And then again? Have you done just a bit of damage doing so? Will this lead to problems down the road?
The Acadia is not a truck. I would refer to it as a raised station wagon (my insurance papers also state it as a station wagon).
Am I 100% anti-towing with the Acadia? No. I am however 100% anti-towing with my Acadia... yes. My wife borrows her dads (actual) truck for when towing is needed (maybe once or twice a year).
I don't imagine you'll have problems using it for a small pop up trailer, but I personally can't imagine I ever will/would.

Reactions: tekman78

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
... I was just looking for some real world advice from those here who seem to be 100% ANTI-TOWING with the Acadia. ...
Why don't you look for "real world advice" from those who DO tow with their Acadia? The forum has a whole section about 'Towing and Hauling' for your review and questions. All you'll get from the anti-tow folks are jaded opinions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why don't you look for "real world advice" from those who DO tow with their Acadia? The forum has a whole section about 'Towing and Hauling' for your review and questions. All you'll get from the anti-tow folks are jaded opinions.
Thank you! I didn't even know that other section existed. I will absolutely check out that sub-forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's my paranoia... You're driving along with your family and the tranny temp starts climbing to an uncomfortable temp, do you pull over and stop for 10-15 minutes, then start again? And then again? Have you done just a bit of damage doing so? Will this lead to problems down the road?
The Acadia is not a truck. I would refer to it as a raised station wagon (my insurance papers also state it as a station wagon).
Am I 100% anti-towing with the Acadia? No. I am however 100% anti-towing with my Acadia... yes. My wife borrows her dads (actual) truck for when towing is needed (maybe once or twice a year).
I don't imagine you'll have problems using it for a small pop up trailer, but I personally can't imagine I ever will/would.
How are you watching the tranny temps? Do you have the tow package/trans cooler? Have you towed with it and noticed higher temps? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
How are you watching the tranny temps? Do you have the tow package/trans cooler? Have you towed with it and noticed higher temps? Thanks.
D. None of the above. :) As per my last sentence, I can't imagine I ever will/would tow with mine.
So I don't watch tranny temps, don't have a tow package (although have considered a factory upgraded rad just for safety's sake, without towing), don't tow with my Acadia.
I'm not really anti-tow, not jaded as speleos feels some may be, just wouldn't do it with my Acadia.
With a pop-up trailer and V92 tow package, not a big deal... but I'd do everything I could not to do so.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I agree with Grantv. I've never seen it designated as a truck and having owned trucks, I don't believe it is designed as a truck.

You specifically asked about maintaining the longevity of the transmission. No matter what others may say, towing will generate heat and will impact the longevity of the transmission.

I have had occasion to often tow. I have also owned 2 Acadia's, both with tow packages....never considered using either for towing. I don't believe the vehicle to stout enough.

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
I've never seen it designated as a truck and having owned trucks, I don't believe it is designed as a truck.
Maryland's designation is 'M' - for multi-purpose vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
... I don't believe the vehicle to stout enough.
People have towed travel trailers with cars for years. My father towed a Nomad TT with his '65 Buick Wildcat. My uncle towed his Scottie with a '50-something Mercury station wagon. Friends are towing travel trailers with Honda Elements and Subaru Outbacks. Get over this "you need a truck" BS!

Reactions: Gmcde3 and SpartyOn

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
People have towed travel trailers with cars for years. My father towed a Nomad TT with his '65 Buick Wildcat. My uncle towed his Scottie with a Mercury station wagon. Friends are towing travel trailers with Honda Elements and Subaru Outlooks. Get over this "you need a truck" BS!
Just because one can use something as a tool, doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job. You also cannot compare the possible ill effects of towing with a full frame, loads of torque Buick with a unibody, torque challenged Acadia.

Every job is easier with the right tool...............
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
That's where common sense comes into play. Manufacturers don't provide specs just to taunt people into doing something stupid.

Reactions: divotdug

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just because one can use something as a tool, doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job. You also cannot compare the possible ill effects of towing with a full frame, loads of torque Buick with a unibody, torque challenged Acadia.

View attachment 11358
I wouldn't call the Acadia torque-challenged when most other manufacturers are also slapping 5,000 lb tow ratings on their unibody crossovers that have less torque and at higher RPM than the Acadia (270 lb-ft @ 3,400 RPM for the OP vehicle (and mine)).

Heck, Jeep puts a 6,200 lb rating on the Grand Cherokee V6 tow package, and the Pentastar is only rated for 260 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm. With -4.2" of wheelbase compared to the Lambda Acadia, I don't want to be on the road next to anyone pulling 6,200 lbs with a GC. So you tell me what magic fairy dust FCA (Stellantis?) is coming up with to hit those numbers.

Nissan puts 6,000 lbs on the Pathfinder with a not great engine and a CVT (though I think the new one has cogs). Subaru slaps 5,000 lbs on the Ascent with a turbo 4 and a CVT. If you'd prefer towing with those over an Acadia, be my guest.

The Acadia can tow, especially those post-2012 when a number of revisions were made.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I tow a travel trailer with my Acadia (pic in my signature). I'd be happy to answer any questions that you have.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I wouldn't call the Acadia torque-challenged when most other manufacturers are also slapping 5,000 lb tow ratings on their unibody crossovers that have less torque and at higher RPM than the Acadia (270 lb-ft @ 3,400 RPM for the OP vehicle (and mine)).

Heck, Jeep puts a 6,200 lb rating on the Grand Cherokee V6 tow package, and the Pentastar is only rated for 260 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm. With -4.2" of wheelbase compared to the Lambda Acadia, I don't want to be on the road next to anyone pulling 6,200 lbs with a GC. So you tell me what magic fairy dust FCA (Stellantis?) is coming up with to hit those numbers.

Nissan puts 6,000 lbs on the Pathfinder with a not great engine and a CVT (though I think the new one has cogs). Subaru slaps 5,000 lbs on the Ascent with a turbo 4 and a CVT. If you'd prefer towing with those over an Acadia, be my guest.

The Acadia can tow, especially those post-2012 when a number of revisions were made.
I wouldn't tow with any of the vehicles you cite in your post. I don't consider any the right tool.

It's my opinion on answering the OP's question about preserving the longevity of their transmission. Towing will impact that longevity.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I wouldn't tow with any of the vehicles you cite in your post. I don't consider any the right tool.

It's my opinion on answering the OP's question about preserving the longevity of their transmission. Towing will impact that longevity.
Nor would I. Either buy, borrow, or rent a truck.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts