GMC Acadia Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,057 Posts
... Your car daily surges like that and you wouldn't be concerned at all? Not questioning, looking for honest answers.
My vehicle operates differently each and every day on the same stretch of roadway. How can someone be worried about that when it's become a 'normal' part of the driving experience?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
So nobody besides those who it's happening to considers it a concern?
In other words, if your car was doing this you'd ignore it? Your car daily surges like that and you wouldn't be concerned at all? Not questioning, looking for honest answers.
Based on the videos I'm seen in this thread, it is not something that would concern me. Especially if I knew it was controllable via lighter or heavier throttle.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My vehicle operates differently each and every day on the same stretch of roadway. How can someone be worried about that when it's become a 'normal' part of the driving experience?
LOL; because it doesn't seem normal? And it's obviously not, as most cars don't do it. Normal is conforming to a standard, what the majority behaves like. Mine does not, otherwise you and others would report the same flare.
I've never driven a vehicle that flares frequently when shifting. Others who are on this thread same, so that indicates a potential issue with whoever has this oddity (we can stop calling it a problem I guess, as some feel it's not), no?
The mechanic who drove it feels it's a concern, the dealership is taking it as a concern, others here are concerned. If this wasn't a concern, I'm sure the dealer would have told me so. I never told them it was a problem, only asked their opinion. They drove it, they said it is a problem.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Based on the videos I'm seen in this thread, it is not something that would concern me. Especially if I knew it was controllable via lighter or heavier throttle.
So I shouldn't accelerate with traffic? I should intentionally drive my car not the way that I'm comfortable with to avoid that RPM range? Sorry, that is ridiculous. If the GMC dealer told me that I'd be very disappointed to say the least. I'm just driving to and from work, etc.
An example if I may exaggerate; if I told you to avoid between 2000-3500 RPM range entirely, you'd find that acceptable? 2500-3000 is pretty much where my car ends up with in daily traffic.
Anyway, not meaning to argue with you gents, I just have a hard time believing you wouldn't take your vehicle in with this symptom happening daily in regular daily driving.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
2500-3000 is pretty much where my car ends up with in daily traffic.
This is a statement I do not understand. Just did a 20 mile drive to a client. A combination of stop/go rush hour traffic and open highway. I made it a point to keep an eye on the tach. It never once went higher than 2300 rpm. I don't think in 22k miles of driving my '18, it has ever seen 3000 rpm. The flare issue may well be related to driving style.

·
Super Moderator
19,057 Posts
Gee, divotdug, my Acadia saw >4500 rpm on the test drive. The engine routinely gets to over 3K rpm in 2nd gear pulling the ~6% grade HiYo has to climb immediately after leaving the driveway.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is a statement I do not understand. Just did a 20 mile drive to a client. A combination of stop/go rush hour traffic and open highway. I made it a point to keep an eye on the tach. It never once went higher than 2300 rpm. I don't think in 22k miles of driving my '18, it has ever seen 3000 rpm. The flare issue may well be related to driving style.
Not higher than 2300 RPM on a 20 mile combined city/highway drive!? I think your tach is broken. LOL. Seriously, no idea how that's even possible.
I just got a brand new (~300 miles) loaner 2020 Caddy XT4 while my Acadia is in for repair. Regular drive in to work the tach hit easily over 3000 RPM a couple times. Now that's only a 237HP motor, so it's gonna work a bit harder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,
Just finished reading all 109 posts. From the sounds of it - there is no definite fix? Has anyone had a transmission completely fail over the 2-3 flare?

Just bought a '17, neither the wife nor I noticed it on separate test drives. I noticed it on the drive home and then let the wife drive it - she couldn't duplicate it and neither could I. Seems to not occur when its cold or at operating temp - only when it's warming up?

At the dealer now and it's under warranty...we will see what they say. She's very impressed with the Acadia otherwise....but it seems like we lucked into finding it's weakness!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't recall reading anyone who's had the 2-3 flare actually having a transmission fail. And kinda hope it doesn't lead to further issues.
Just got my '19 (4000 miles so far) back from the dealership today, then went straight to the ski hill. Actually didn't notice the flare, but it's not typical daily driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't recall reading anyone who's had the 2-3 flare actually having a transmission fail. And kinda hope it doesn't lead to further issues.
Just got my '19 (4000 miles so far) back from the dealership today, then went straight to the ski hill. Actually didn't notice the flare, but it's not typical daily driving.
Thanks! What did the dealer have to say about yours?

·
Registered
334 Posts
It was pretty long winded, but essentially they have a claim in with GM engineering. A TAC IIRC.
I'll pull the print out tomorrow and post more info. I understand only some adjustments were made, and I have to report back next week if it's better.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Full transmission replacement on my 2017 Denali FWD with the flare and it still does it exactly the same.

Frustrated and likely just moving on from this car. 36k miles.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts