GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had a very strange issue with my 2017 Acadia with 14,000 miles. Got in it and pushed the Start Button and all I got was a bunch of warning messages on the display:
Service Brakes, steering assist reduced, AWD off, etc, etc... There was absolutely no response from the engine or any other sound when pressing the start button. The dash lights and radio came on however and headlights worked. OnStar worked. Tried starting the car many times, even with the key in the console pocket, but no go. Heck even the tail gate would not work.

Called OnStar and they had no idea, so they arranged a tow truck for trip to dealer. While waiting we cleaned out the car from the back seats and just out of habit, tried tail gate for the last bag and tailgate now worked. On a hunch, tried to start and it started right up.

It's going to the dealer first thing tomorrow, ( fingers crossed it starts) but in the meantime as anyone else seen this behavior?

·
Super Moderator
20,263 Posts
Maybe you shouldn't want it to start. Intermittent failures are the most difficult ones to figure out. It would be best to have the tow truck operator verify the car won't start and haul it to the shop. Then, the tech could do his thing when the car is in a state of failure (If it stays that way while 'on the hook.)

Reactions: GEORGEC

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The problem with intermittent failures is something that many people fail to recognize. Speleos is absolutely correct. If it fails completely it is best.

George

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I totally understand the frustration of trying to diagnose an intermittent failure. I did not do anything to fix the problem and suspect it would have started when the tow arrived.

Hopefully it will have thrown some codes they can read, fingers crossed! In any case I do have , for what it is worth, a video of the dash while it was in failure mode.

This did happen about 3 weeks ago but I blamed it for not having my foot firmly on the brake. In that earlier case, I just pushed the start button again and it fired right up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make sure the dealer checks the battery. Last month, at 12,500 miles my Denali wouldn't start. In my case, the Low Battery Protection message was displayed. GM roadside service (included in the warranty) jumped the car and it started and I drove it direct to the dealer. The car died after the dealer shut it off and tried to restart it to move it. This time, they it started with one of those jump packs. They diagnosed it as a defective battery, covered under warranty. It's been fine since.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Drove the car to the dealer this AM. And yes the first thing they did was check the battery, which was fine. The dealer did offer to take it back when they get a loaner and spend some time ove4 several days to find the root cause.

The scan showed a communications error had occurred but they could not determine what caused this error. Since the car was running and seemed to start, drove it back home, about 250 miles, with no issue but did not stop engine. It will go into a local dealer hopefully tomorrow so he can dig into the issue.

One thing that caught my attention today was CarPlay kept disconnecting, something that it had been doing occasionally for the past few weeks. Today it was crashing very frequently. Long story short, I swapped apple cables for a different one and problem stopped so I assume I had a bad cable.

. I recall reading a while back how some black hats had been able to take control of cars through the entertainment system and cause total havoc since the entertainment system is tied into the car’s control network. Could it be possible that a bad/noisy cable affected the communications buss in the car? I know it should not be possible for this to happen, but just putting it out there as a question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just had the same thing happen with my 2017 Acadia Denali. Had it towed to dealer...initially they don't know what the problem is. They will check back with me Monday when the "A" team comes in. Stay tuned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts