GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,

I was interested in buying a roof top tent to use with my 2017 Acadia Denali. I was wondering what would be the allowed weight for roof-top-tent and how much additional weight (people + stuff) can it sustain when not driving.
User manual only mentions about the roof rack capacity in one place as : "Loading cargo on the roof rack that weighs more than 100 kg (220 lb) or hangs over the rear or sides of the vehicle may damage the vehicle. " . So basically while driving, at-most I can put 220lbs of weight ("dynamic weight") on the roof rack.

So tent weight allowed = 220 - rail crossbars weight. Right?

Another doubt is about how much of weight can the roof rack sustain when stationary? On internet folks seem to mention this weight as "static weight capacity" and should be lot more than the "dynamic weight capacity" mentioned by GMC and Crossrails manufacturers. (thumb rule) 2 to 3 times of that.

This article gives some reasoning why static weight is ideally lot higher than manufacturer mentioned dynamic weight : https://outbackjoe.com/macho-divertissement/macho-articles/roof-loading-and-roof-top-tents/
This article gives some insight into what some roof rack manufacturers say about this : https://www.rackoutfitters.com/blog/what-roof-rack-manufacturers-say-about-roof-top-tent-use/

User manual doesn't mention anything about static weight capacity of roof rack. Wanted to check if anyone knows what is supported static weight capacity of 2017 Acadia Denali.
Has anyone used roof top tents with their 2017+ Acadias? Some info around that and their experience will be very helpful.

Some popular 2-3 capacity roof top tents seem to have weight ranging from 125 lbs(https://cascadiatents.com/shop/mt-shasta-roof-top-tent/) to 138 lbs (Smittybilt Overlander Tent)

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,055 Posts
The user's manual doesn't say anything about static weight capacity of the roof rack because GM doesn't care about what you do with the car when it's parked. Looks like you'll be "the first kid on the block" to try a roof top tent. Haven't seen a single discussion about it in all the time I've been on the forum.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Have to ask, what is the point of rooftop camping. I have done a lot of tent camping in my life. It was a monthly occurrence the decade my son was in Scouts. Rooftop camping seems to be a lot of extra work and the risk of damaging my vehicle. The roof of my '18 just doesn't seem like a good base for my Coleman.

·
Super Moderator
19,055 Posts
I got a kick out of the discussion in one blog about the vehicle turned upside down without crushing the roof. You probably have nothing to worry about unless you plan on having a roof-top dance party. :devil:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have to ask, what is the point of rooftop camping. I have done a lot of tent camping in my life. It was a monthly occurrence the decade my son was in Scouts. Rooftop camping seems to be a lot of extra work and the risk of damaging my vehicle. The roof of my '18 just doesn't seem like a good base for my Coleman.

You can watch some Pros and Cons of roof top camping from real world user here :
But in-general Rooftop camping is touted for easy of use, quick setup and primarily giving your safe feel since you are high above the ground.

Once you figure out details of getting right rooftop which suits your vehicle limits, there shouldn't be any reason to risk damaging your vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts