GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in doing a tune up; besides changing the spark plugs...what's the thoughts on changing the direct ignition coil for each plug.... what is the reasonable ohm's to know if still good or gonna puke a day or two from now.... and does one change the internal seals just because? and would you do anything else when changing plugs....and why? thanks to all who respond.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Difficult to determine if a coil is good just by measuring resistance. The reason being. . . the coil under actual operating conditions will be handling a multi thousand volt output. So resistance of the coil winding may measure whatever is spec, but if there is a hairline crack or other issue that is barely or at all visible, the coil may still result in a misfire.

Seals? Maybe inspect, see if hard and/or cracked. Suck out any dirt or debris that may be in the spark plug well before removing the plugs.

Otherwise. . .. others may chime in with advice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You could replace the coils and keep the originals as spares, or just leave the originals until they are a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
I drove livery Lincolns with coil-over-plug ignition. Some of those cars never had a single coil changed in over 200K miles (also applied to spark plugs due to company owner's attitude). Coils are either good or bad. The choice is yours. As stated, inspect and clean everything before you take it apart - I'll add while you're putting it back together again to that recommendation.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You are already at 156,000 km/97,500 mi? That is the recommended mileage for spark plug replacement per the 2017 manual. I would not change a coil until it goes bad. In some cases they will easily last the life of the vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts