GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the only problems I read with the 2016's are the steering pumps going out and all of the sudden leaving the driver with a locked up steering wheel. How often does this problem come up and should I be worried about this with this car I'm looking at?

·
Super Moderator
19,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Loss of power steering assist was more common in earlier Acadias (2007-2011) and covered by a special extension of the warranty. It's seldom discussed in relation to later years of the vehicle. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I see some complaints here:

One person found a cracked grommet where the PS hose went through a metal bracket, resulting in the hose chaffing against the metal bracket, causing a leak of fluid.

But earlier models seem to have complaints about whole steering racks needing replacement (for HUGE cost), then the PS pump afterwards (or vice-versa).

This is all very odd because Hydraulic Power Steering has always been very reliable in automobiles for decades. You would think if there was a bad pump design that failed internally ... that this would be corrected with a new pump design and that would be the end of it.

I guess I would inspect the power steering system very closely, pay close attention to it during a test drive, then get in the habit of checking the PS fluid at each gas-up, and just always being sensitive to any kind of steering anomaly while owning the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
19,070 Posts
Compare the 2016 Acadia with a like version of the 2016 Ford Explorer (many people recommend Explorer over Acadia). You'll be amazed. Acadia in the above link has 2 recalls and 43 complaints vs the 7 recalls and 866 complaints for Explorer. Twelve of the Acadia complaints were about steering problems - the Ford had 179. If you're that "scared" about buying the Acadia, purchase some kind of extended service plan for the vehicle.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Locking up and steering getting hard are 2 different things.
Like any PS vehicle- the steering wheel gets harder to turn when the PS goes out- or engine shut off.
But youre still able to turn the wheel.
I have a 2010- about to hit 156,000-- Im still on the factory pump and rack.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Haven't had issues with the hydraulic power steering on any GM vehicle that used that tech I've owned for years. And that goes back quite a long ways.
The only issue I noticed was the usual PS "groan" Equinox and Terrain had with the V6 engine. Some were just occasional or in cold weather . . others were more often.
But I never had a GM hydraulic PS "lock up" on me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts