GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been an intermittent problem for about one year now.
January 2020 the right turn signal stopped working. That’s the outsides and the dash turn indicator.
Off for a week then started working normal.
After a few days stopped working. Went to a service centre and the manager verified they weren’t working and made an appointment for the following week. Day before appointment the signals started working again. The service manager said they couldn’t try to diagnose this issue if signals working properly. So cancelled app.
A week later the signals stopped working again. Made an appointment. Of course they start working again.
This is now the end of January and they continued the work flawlessly for the next 10 months.
The signals stopped working a couple weeks ago again but of course after three days the right signals work again. The right turn signals are currently not working again.
This only happens with the right turn signal.
I have tested the fuses in the cab and under the hood and the right turn signal bulbs.
Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and did the same with the BCM fuse. No change.
I also installed a new multifunction switch. No change.
I haven’t seen this exact problem in the comments.
Thought I’d check with you guys before I make an appointment.
Sorry for the long read.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that the emergency flashers work fine even when the right turn signal does not.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Sounds like a wiring/connection issue. Tech has to see it when not working so they can start testing each segment of the wiring harness to track down the issue.

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
+1 Seems it could be weather related - like it only happens in cold months. Culprit might something simple as a slightly loose pin crimp on a wire at one of the connectors.

Reactions: Joef6858

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for your input speleos and divotdug.
The car sits in my garage at 50 degrees f. during the winter.
This afternoon I took it out to pick up groceries. The right turn signal was not working.
When I got back in the car and started it the turn signal now works.
I got home shut it off but positioned the key so the right turn signal would operate. With the right signal flashing I went under the hood and removed the plastic cowling over the right head light pod and started wiggling turn signal connector and the wire as far back as I could reach. And the wire harness under the fuse box. Kept flashing. Then removed the right tail light pod and wiggled those wires and the wires at the trailer hitch harness. The signal kept flashing.
It’s so random. The only pattern I see is if the right signal is working when the car is started it will remain working until the car is shut off. As well, if the signal does not work when the car is started it remains not working until the car is shut off. That is strange.
I will let you know when this turn signal stops working again and I’m sure it will stop working.

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
Look in this part of the site for the thread containing a link to the service manual: GMC Acadia. That document could be very helpful to you. It should have wiring diagrams and connector/pin assignments you'll be able to follow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look in this part of the site for the thread containing a link to the service manual: GMC Acadia. That document could be very helpful to you. It should have wiring diagrams and connector/pin assignments you'll be able to follow.
I checked out the wiring diagram but I don’t think I have the ability to find each connector.
I did remove the the multifunction switch again and the hush panel and followed those wires to the BCM. Everything looked fine.
On News Years Eve while making a right hand turn the signal started to work again. The next day it wouldn’t work. I took the car to the GM dealer on Jan 5th with it not working. They plugged into computer to check for codes, no codes but the signal started to work again. They parked it outside in the cold for a couple of hours but couldn’t get it to fail. So gave the car back saying they couldn’t go any further. I took the car on a 3 hour trip and the right turn signal has worked flawlessly.
I’ll be in the car for another 3 hours tomorrow and the car has been sitting in the cold for 4days.
I’ll keep you updated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts