GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a 2010 Acadia with NAV, and looking to replace it with a 2014 Denali. i have 2 questions about the NAV unit, and i've been getting different answers from the sales folks that i've been talking to (what a surprise!!).

1. in my 2010, you can't do virtually anything to the NAV while driving; you have to pull over and stop. with the 2014 unit, i understand that you can use voice commands to find the closest McDonalds or the hotel you need while driving; true or false?

2. with my 2010, the data for the NAV is on a DVD that was probably loaded with 2 year old data when i bought it, and i've been reluctant to buy the new disk because of the cost. on the 2014, i've been told that the data is stored on a hard drive in the vehicle, and can be updated either through onstar or by taking it to a dealership and having it plugged in. i've been told that this is either free or only a small charge. anybody have any definitive information on this?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I believe the 2013's and 2014's are fairly (but not exactly) similar. For 2013:

1 - You can use Voice commands to find a destination by address or in existing contacts. I do not think you can use voice to search for "mcdonalds". You can find it on the map and set it as a destination though. I can't recall if the POI icon is one of the one's disabled while driving or not.

2 - The map data is stored in memory (I don't believe it is a hard disk) --no more DVDs. To my knowledge there is no published procedure yet for updating the maps on the 2013s or 2014s. That said, as an educated guess: A)It will not be updated through OnStar. Maps usually take one or two DVD's, that is a lot of data to send over a cell signal and someone has to pay for that bandwidth. It will probably a USB that you buy OR the dealer performs the updates. B)There is a lot of money and profit in map updates, I wouldn't expect it to be free or cheap. Again, these are just educated guesses, but without any published info, they are just as (probably more) educated than your dealer's guesses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2014 SLT that has virtually every option available (short of a sunroof and running boards).
I too wanted to update the nav and went through the GM website and it said there are no longer updates available. I contacted here.com as well and they also said the same thing. But the guy I talked to said that the navigation is stored in a module and you don’t need to replace the radio, just swap out the module with a never version out of a newer Acadia or traverse or enclave. I don’t know if this is true as I haven’t talked to a dealer yet to see if this would actually work. I would love to have an updated map, or even the ability to use Apple CarPlay as the nav. As it stands, the only way I can use my phone is by plugging it in in the top compartment of the dash in the white USB port. That way I can still only hear the voice commands.

·
Super Moderator
22,413 Posts
... I would love to have an updated map, or even the ability to use Apple CarPlay as the nav. ...
The only way to get Apple CarPlay in the vehicle's system is by installing an aftermarket head unit (radio) with that feature available on it. Visit Crutchfield's website and see what they have to fit your Acadia. Select a model from their site and shop for that model on the internet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts