GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added the OEM Fog Lights to a 2013 or 2014 yet? I see where someone did it on their 2011 but wasn't sure if the wiring harness has the fog light plugs behind the front fascia.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
I think if you try to go the factory route-- chances are you will have to program the vehicle computer.. as thats what controls them on and off....

so maybe you guys will go with the toggle switch and relays?

·
Registered
29 Posts
From what I see you can buy the headlight switch that has the fog light on/off on it for about $30-40.
I just don't know if the wiring exists on the SLE2 wiring harness has the fog light provisions in it. IE: Is it the same wiring harness as the SLT, etc that uses fog lights, just they aren't using those connectors.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The trend I have noticed with these vehicles is to save a few bucks and not include wiring for options or features that are not offered on that model. Fog lights are not offered on SLE's so I doubt the wiring would be there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all. I'm new to the forum, but this is the place I went to looking for answers to this very question when I bought my 2013 GMC Acadia SLE and could not find the answer. With that said, I just received my plug and play fog lamp kit this week and can't wait to install it. I purchased my kit from GEN5DIY, the same group that made my plug and play kit for my Camaro. The kit came with custom harness, OEM fog lamps and the chrome bezels. I found the black lower grill inserts on EBay for $65 and the kit goes for $250. I requested a switch less kit which will turn on with my low beams and goes off with the high. New York State law. Once I install the kit I'll post pictures and any interesting install adventures.

·
Super Moderator
20,882 Posts
Fielddoc00 said:
... this is the place I went to looking for answers to this very question ... and could not find the answer....
Might be because the answers have already been given in older threads. Many times adding things (like forgotten options) after one buys a product is the same year after year - little (if anything) changes. It pays to investigate what folks who have older models have experienced.

Oh, and :welcome: to the forum.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Besides trying to find if there is a connector and wiring in the head light wiring harness, there needs to be a fuse and relay in the under hood fuse panel assuming the wiring connections under the panel are there. You can look in the slots to see if the contacts are there. Fuse panel diagram is in your owner's manual, section 10. The light switch needs changing as you stated and since the switch signal goes through the BCM, you may need to have the module programmed to recognize the fog lights. Then there is the question of does the BCM have the proper wiring connections to the relay. Oh, and you haven't even tried to find the fog lamps and bezels yet.

May want to look into the kit mentioned in the post above by Fielddoc00.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Fielddoc.....how did your installation go? We need your feedback. Did you take pictures?

·
Registered
17 Posts
teetertotter said:
Fielddoc.....how did your installation go? We need your feedback. Did you take pictures?
Apparently no so well!! :hilarious: :hilarious:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unique15...did you get the Spyder fog lights to work? I got the same kit, but I couldn't get the foglights to work, plus I don't like the additional power switch. I'm thinking on getting the SLT light switch that has the foglight button, I just need to know which pins are for the foglights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bumping an old thread/contributing to the community, since I seemingly end up here to answer my questions! I bought a Salvage 2016 Acadia SLE (sans fog lights), and found a 2015 Denali front clip (with fog lights) to fix it up. I'm trying to see if I can get the OEM fog lights working... and here's where I am so far:
  • The bumper cover is the same, so you'd just need to get the fog light bezel/assemblies and swap them in for the placeholders. In my case, I'm just putting the whole bumper cover on from my donor clip.
  • The front wiring harness in the SLE does NOT have the wiring for fog lights. In my case, I was able to swap in the harness from the Denali clip. Note I did have to pull the fuse box apart, as the 4 engine compartment harnesses run into the bottom of that. This is probably the smallest one, luckily, and largely covers lights, horn, radiator, and hood latch along the front support rail. With the bumper cover, radiator, and lights all out it was a fairly easy swap. If you weren't repairing your front end... it's probably possible, but somewhat of a PITA
  • I then swapped the fuses/relays from the Denali fuse box over, as they are not in the SLE by default

What I don't know yet: is the wiring present from the fuse box > the dash/instrument cluster?
If it is, I believe I'll just need to swap out the headlight selector switch to complete the install.

·
Super Moderator
20,882 Posts
What I don't know yet: is the wiring present from the fuse box > the dash/instrument cluster?
If it is, I believe I'll just need to swap out the headlight selector switch to complete the install.
From all I've read, the headlight switch is PnP. No other modification will be necessary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update - I swapped out the headlight switch. Now I am getting an indicator on the dash... but no fog lights. I need to troubleshoot some more, but I did make sure the fuse was in. Any other ideas on things I may be missing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I updated my other post, but this one is focused on fog lights - so I wanted to post an update and ask a few more questions if anyone has answers. I came to the conclusion that I can't use the OEM front/headlight wiring harness from a 2015 Denali with the fog light pig tales because that's from a car with HIDs, and mine was wired for Halogen... all wiring seems to be slightly different between the two. I also traced the pins for the fog light relay in my fuse box and it doesn't seem to light up any pins in that front wiring harness - instead it almost seems to go through the engine harness. So:

1) Does anyone know if SLEs (with Halogen headlights) had the option for fog lights?
2) Do you know what wiring harness actually contains the leads for said fog lights?

And, yes, I've looked as much as I can thought the shop manuals supplied... but the electrical diagrams in them aren't really helpful for figuring out what the wiring actually looks like.
Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts