GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Luckily no one hurt as it was at a gas station and no property damage. Got oil change, went to get gas. Caught on fire. I see recalls for various other years but not this year. What the heck would have caused this :unsure:馃槰

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Registered
With out a big investigation odds are you will never know what happened because what started is mostly burned away.

It could be a failure of something or very easily be something that happened during the oil change. Spilled or leaking oil can ignite and creat such a fire.

In had a funnel slip and the oil caught fire from the spill on the manifold. Luckily I was still under the hood to catch it but not all are always there to see it.

All you can do is call the insurance and let them pay for it. They will total it and you just need to make sure you get fair value based on todays prices because they are up and it should help you replace it.

Things like this happen once in a while to any vehicle. I have seen all brand burn at one time or another.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. That's what I was thinking, all the evidence is burned up. I'll keep you posted. We need to get an inflated used car price.

Registered
Since you said got an oil change...
In thinking oil was spilled all over the manifold area--- when one of 2 things happened..

the oil filter was unscrewed and raised up-- spilling oil on that whole area....
or
oil was spilled when it was being poured into the engine.
all over the manifold or alternator etc.

Registered
If it was a spill on the manifold it may have smoked early and smelled. Alternator would not set oil on fire.

Now on the other hand if the filter leaked the head pipe on the exhaust is right beside the filter. Also the very hot converter is behind it.

If the filter was loose or if it was leaking could be an issue.

It many matter little but but if you want have it checked by an independent person or the insurance company.

Registered
Service person spilled oil on exhaust parts and you drive it long enough afterwards to heat the oil up and ignite it comes to mind.

A similar instance occurred to our son's first car years ago.

Did you notice any odor or smoke when you got our to fill the gas tank?
Since you said got an oil change...
In thinking oil was spilled all over the manifold area--- when one of 2 things happened..

the oil filter was unscrewed and raised up-- spilling oil on that whole area....
or
oil was spilled when it was being poured into the engine.
all over the manifold or alternator etc.
Those are my thoughts as well. I suppose it's circumstantial, but how would anyone be able to tell?
Engine bay fires are a melted mess with all the plastic parts.
Very strange to see all the bare copper wires still formed to wherever they were connected to but devoid of the plastic insulation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.